Excellent experience with JK Moving and Storage (DC area)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bradly

Excellent experience with JK Moving and Storage (DC area)

Postby bradly » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:01 pm

I chose JK Moving and Storage to move me from Capitol Hill to Reston, VA (about 20 miles). We managed to squeak out about 36 hours before the inaugural chaos. The crew was well trained, well managed, extra courteous, extra careful, gentle, effecient, on time, and worked very well together. The final bill even came in a bit under the estimate. JK was also one of the few companies willing to do an on-site estimate for a small load such as mine, which made a difference to me. I was VERY happy with the whole experience. They are a bit expensive, but from my standpoint well worth it. These guys are pros, through and through. Kudos to this website for giving me the knowledge and tools to find a reputable mover-- Many, many thanks.

Brad

Diane

Re: Excellent experience with JK Moving and Storage (DC area

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:04 pm

Thank YOU, Brad. MusicMom is in your area and I know she'll be very glad to hear about your good experience. If you want to post any of the details about cost, etc. it would be very helpful to give others a ballpark idea of what very good movers charge for such a move.

bradly

Postby bradly » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:30 pm

My total bill came to 1037.00.... I paid a 100.00 deposit when I booked the date. Had something come up, I could have rescheduled with no penalty. The crews are paid by the hour (3 guys and 1 truck at 150 per). The foreman and I did a walkthrough of the apartment prior to starting the clock. The job took 5.25 hours, and JK adds one hour to that total for travel TO the pickup location. Considering it took them about 2 hours to get into DC that day, seems fair to me. I had a 1 bedroom apt which both my wife and I have been crammed into for about a year, about 40 medium to large cartons (mostly books and cd's and other terribly heavy stuff), 5 box wardrobes (which you normally must rent from the company but this foreman struck the charge because he felt the boxes were getting a bit worn. Looked used maybe once to me!) several bookcases, dining, living, 2 TVs, etc. We packed ourselves. I did carry some super-fragiles in my car ahead of time, which I think is wise no matter who moves you. We have a very ungainly coffee table with a 4' by 4' glass top which I requested they crate-- an extra 99 bucks to build the crate. I declined any additional insurance (which I had originally opted for) above the .60 per pound due to the small distance and size of the move and especially due to my immediate impression that these guys were good at what they do. I can't tell you how impressed and relieved I was at the quality of their work.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:44 pm

Thanks so much, Brad. One more example of how reputable companies sometimes do ask for a deposit, so I shouldn't have said to rule out any company that asks for one. Let's just say that it can be a red flag but it isn't necessarily a deal-breaker.

I just looked at the JK website at www.jkmoving.com and I like the apparent "hands-on" approach of its president/CEO. Although yours was a local move, I hope that eventually we'll have reviews of interstate moves that this independent company did.

Return to “Open Community”