**Tom & Son's Moving & Storage in Orange, CA-Feedback?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cmpeter

**Tom & Son's Moving & Storage in Orange, CA-Feedback?

Postby cmpeter » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:59 pm

Does anyone have experience with this company? I can't find anything other than their phone number/address when I do a Google search and they don't show up on the BBB website. We are considering them for an upcoming local move. Thanks

Re: Tom & Son's Moving & Storage in Orange, CA-Feedb

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:28 pm

I thought I would provide a few more details...

We are doing a local move...15 miles or less. I am trying to decide between two moving companies. One, that I have used before with good results (Golden Eagle/United) and then Tom & Son's...a local company not part of a van line. There was a $1,000 difference between the two estimates (both not to exceed estimates.)

What types of things should I be considering in regards to local moves?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:31 pm

It may be that Tom & Son's isn't licensed--not uncommon with these small local companies. You could call the California Moving & Storage Association to find out - (714) 236-2060 - or the California Public Utilities Commission. It's a matter of personal choice whether to use an unlicensed company for this type of local move (assuming they are unlicensed). Some people would do so and some wouldn't. You should be able to get a sense of how they have performed in the past from personal references.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:05 pm

By law, Tom's & Sons MUST have a PUC permit to perform your move. It is illegal and dangerous to use an unlicensed mover. What if one of their employees falls on your property? Think they have insurance if they don't have a license? Guess who's insurance will get sued? Yours.

I strongly suggest you check them out with the CMSA, www.thecmsa.org. Their price may be $1,000 less now, but once your stuff is on their truck, it will probably go right back up!

We had a success story on here from someone who used Golden Eagle.

Diana, NO MATTER what the size of ANY mover in California, they MUST have a permit. These small local companies you mention are breaking the law.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:12 pm

I agree with Nancy. However, this discussion may be irrelevant because I just went on Tom & Son's website at www.tomandsonsmoving.com and found that their Cal-T license number is listed there as 189524. Incidentally, there are also some excellent photos showing furniture wrapped in shrink wrap, paper pads, and moving blankets on their website - http://verizonsupersite.com/tomandsonsm ... _all.nhtml
Last edited by Diane on Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:14 pm

Nancy...if they aren't on the CMSA, would that mean they are unlicensed?

When I called Golden Eagle to tell them that we were thinking of Tom & Son's, they were surprised at their low hourly rate...(GE is $220 hr/5 men and TS is $130 hr/4 men)...they said it might be that they don't have workers comp insurance for their employees or might not pay them for overtime.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:14 pm

Diane, you mentioned "It may be that Tom & Son's isn't licensed--not uncommon with these small local companies". I just wanted to mention that is not good advice. It IS uncommon and illegal for them to not have a license.

Their license is VERY new, starting with 189.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:17 pm

WOW, that is a crazy low rate! I would definitely wonder what they don't pay their guys to make it that low.

Are you moving on a weekend?

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:24 pm

I see on the estimate paperwork that Tom & Son's has a licence #, I am going to call the CPUC and check on it's status.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:29 pm

I thought I was calling the CPUC, but accidentally called the CMSA instead. They were able to verify the license number of Tom & Son's, but not really give me any other info. They man I spoke to there also thought the TS rate was low (we are packing on a Th and moving on a Fri.) I think I am going to go with my gut and not take a risk...I have used Golden Eagle before with good results and I'll use them again.

OrangeResident

Postby OrangeResident » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:08 pm

I've used Tom and Sons on three occassions and have referred him to others. I have no complaints or concerns as neither do my friends and family who have also used him. I found him to be very profession, trustworthy and honest. His company did a great job in moving my valuables and making me feel secure with the move as I have many antiques. I strongly recommend his company.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:28 pm

OrangeResident, what is his license number?

cj5

Re: Tom & Son's Moving & Storage in Orange, CA-Feedback?

Postby cj5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:31 pm

DO NOT HIRE THIS COMPANY!!!

Although they are slightly cheaper than others, it's as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

There were two movers and a truck, who were characteristically nice guys, but awful professionals. They lacked effective communication, and one of the guys spent half the time making personal phone calls, rather than doing his job.

They spent 3 hours moving us out of a 1 bedroom apartment (half of our stuff was in an easy access garage). And then they spent an additional 4 hours, one of which trying to negotiate a large armoir up our stairs, which never made it. This is one of the reasons I am complaining about this company, because they spent an hour moving something they knew wouldn't fit, and I had to find out the next day, when filing my complaint with the owner that they could have hoisted it instead of struggling with it on the stairs. Bad communication.

They broke the legs off of our desk, claiming it was an accident, and they offered no compensation for the damages. Other pieces of furniture and our new apartment's floor were heavily marked up, in some cases whole chunks of wood is missing, and our walls were marked up along the stairs, as well as the paint and plaster being chipped out, which I have to fix and replace.

Lastly, the next day I called the owner, Tom, to file a complaint with him. I calmly told him what happened, and asked him what he could do to resolve the discrepancies his workers had caused. Over the course of the conversation, he proceeded to raise his voice with me and get defensive. I simply wanted him to help me out, since I don't have the money at the moment to get things fixed, after he charged me a hefty $600 for a lousy job. He was reluctant to supply me with a resolution, and seemed unwilling to want anymore of my business, since I was going to hire him to hoist out undeliverable and damaged armoir. This is not a good representation of a good and/or upstanding businessman. So be it!

BigLeeCalif

Re: Tom & Son's Moving & Storage in Orange, CA-Feedback?

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Did you have a visual estimate? What documents did you sign, and what type of valuation did you purchase?

Remember that walls and floors are separate from furniture damage. The mover should have a PL/PD insurance policy, and that would cover property damage. Their cargo policy should handle your furniture damage, to the limit of the valuation coverage you signed for.

Check your bill of lading. Also if you cannot get your situation resolved, you can always file a complaint with the BBB, and the California Public Utilities commission.

http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/transportation/
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

cj5

Re: **Tom & Son's Moving & Storage in Orange, CA-Feedback?

Postby cj5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:43 pm

I read the bill of lading, and there was a ton of legal jargon on there, which I cannot make heads or tails of. Anyhow I read the disclosure they gave us with our signed contract, and I basically have to file a complaint with PUD within 9 months of the move date, including a detailed statement of any and all damages, but the catch is if I am to be compensated in anyway, the mover must agree to it. So, basically I have no leverage in this situation.

I've spoken to the owner, and he is simply not interested in resolving my problem in any way. My only recourse at this moment id to file the complaint as well as photos of all damages with BBB and the PUD, and give as many bad reviews about this company as I possibly can.

To add more salt to the wound, we finally got all of our stuff moved in, and realized the movers stole our ladder, so this has been an absolute nightmare of a company. It's no wonder consumer confidence is so low nowadays. With the attitude of this business owner, he does not deserve to be running a business at all.

I will, next, send photos and a letter to CPU. Thanks for the tip!

Return to “Open Community”