Moving Oakland - Boston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
inertia

Moving Oakland - Boston

Postby inertia » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi there,

We're moving from Oakland CA to Boston in a few weeks. We're currently evaluating movers, and thanks to this helpful site, I've narrowed it down to two bids from two reputable (per SaferSys and BBB) movers. I'd really appreciate any feedback you wiser moving minds have on these bids!

We're moving a 2 BR house, no appliances.

Here's the bid info:

Tri-Valley Bekins (DOT 76029, MC 52793)
Transportation: 5900 lbs 3072 miles: $3,765.69
IR surcharge $150.63
Fuel surcharge: 338.91
ATC Orig: 29.09
ATC Dest: 56.17
SubTotal: 4,340.49
Bottom line with 0 deductible & packing of fragile items: 5,011.65 (Not to exceed proposal)

Earl Farnsworth Express (Mayflower) (DOT 125563, MC 2934)
Transportation: 6430 lbs: $5071.05
Bottom line with 0 deductible and packing of fragile items: $5,966.25 (Binding/Not to exceed)

I've checked SaferSys (they passed the test), BBB (Mayflower had only 1 complaint, Bekins 18, some unresolved), and the DOT complaint line (both had complaints).

In general, we felt that the Mayflower bid was more thorough (Bekins added a "fudge factor" of 10% and missed some minor items on the inventory).

Obviously, the Bekins bid is more appealing because it's cheaper -- however, they were also more open-ended about possible "Unknown destination charges" -- whereas Mayflower quoted us a possible $700 shuttle cost, but claimed that would be the extent of it.

Thoughts? Advice? Both much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Diane

Re: Moving Oakland - Boston

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:15 pm

Others will know much more about this than I do, but here are a few comments.

1. I think you may be misreading the BBB report for the Bekins agent. It says that the company had 11 complaints over the past 36 months, 7 of which were within the past 12 months. So it has a total of 11 complaints, not 18.

2. Some Bekins agents in CA belong to a group called Bekins Moving LLC that declared bankruptcy recently and stiffed suppliers and employees. You need to make sure that Tri-Valley doesn't belong to that group.

3. I think it would be a good idea to ask which company in Boston each company will be using as the destination agent, because there could be differences in quality at that end.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:40 pm

Here is a prime example of a person being swayed by price. Much how people are when they are scammed.

Mayflower was more thorough, thats why they are more expensive, not necessarily because they are more costly. They both use different tariffs, with Bekins have a lesser rate tariff.

I believe Bekins only offers you $4.00/lb for valuation, whereas Mayflower offers $5.00/lb. So that could be a difference too.

Bekins will charge you for long carries and flights of stairs, where as Mayflower will not. Both companies are required to give you possible destination cost.

7 complaints in one year to the BBB isnt good at all in my opinion. And Bekins added a fudge factor of 10%, so that would have made their estimate even less if they had any faith in their estimating abilities.

I personally think both companies are hit and miss/inconsistent with their quality, but your asking good questions and doing your homework.

Dont get caught up in price when there is a vast difference from what you explained thus far.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Shutttle in Boston

Postby Shutttle in Boston » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:31 am

Shuttles in Boston proper are almost always needed. Access conditions for 18 wheelers is almost impossible. You will also need a Parking Permit in Boston otherwise even the shuttle van would have a problem. Another situation is the fact that we had 2 feet of snow 10 days ago with another 12-18 inches on the way makes moving conditions diificult. I would suggest you have your origin agent call the destination agent with your new address and if a shuttle is needed, obtain the Parking Permits before the 18 wheeler arrives. Best Luck.

A Boston Mover

East Coast Mover

Postby East Coast Mover » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:13 am

Good advise guest. Although I almost never do a shuttle in boston (I live nearby) I see other guy's shuttling from sommerville into boston all the time. Also when most people say they are moving to boston it usually means boston area such as medford, billerica, newton ,etc.. Who they have for a d.a. WILL make a difference also

Return to “Open Community”