Minimoves

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Zeta812

Minimoves

Postby Zeta812 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:21 am

Has anyone used Minimoves (2154 Madison, Belwood, IL, 1-800-300-6683)? They were recommended to us by another moving company. When I called they said it would likely take about 3 weeks for our stuff (the contents of an apartment, moving from Chicago to Seattle) to arrive, but I'm not sure if that's much longer than other moving companies. They've had 30 complaints with the BBB in the past 3 years, but resolved most of them.

Michael

Re: Minimoves

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:31 pm

Zeta,

When a company has 30 complaints in three years, red flags should go up all over the place. And resolved, I would hope so. But give them three more years, and see if they still have complaints, if not, then consider them. And resolved? Did they tell you that, or the BBB.

Most companies listed with the BBB should have none to one.

Visit their site if you can. Look at their trucks, the facility, their men. Are they in uniform and clean. Are their trucks actually their trucks, or rentals?

The BBB is ok to find info, but when it comes to moving companies, I find their only good for listing companies that have issues. Other than that, they are a money milking machine.

Good luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:07 pm

I was approached by mini moves out of IL and was offered money if I referred business to them. (small shipments I couldn't book)

Fortunately, I try to book everything. I have never referred anyone to them, but others in my office have. I have never heard of anything bad happening, but I can't give you any personal experiences.

30 complaints is awfully high, but when all you haul is small shipments, those are always the most difficult to deal with. I spend less time with customers moving more than 10,000# than I do with customers moving 3,000#.

If this helps in any way, I will be surprised! But I tried! :lol:

fransisllee

Postby fransisllee » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:49 pm

I wish I had found this link before I used them. DON'T use them if you are considering it! The email chain below does not look good. Plus, from my own personal experience, they broke / damaged all items that were not packed by me (i.e. - furniture) and then would not pay the insurance claim. They wouldn't pay up saying that I hadn't noted all damages on the bottom of the inventory list before the moving guys left the premises. However, the contract states that I have 90 days to make a claim, and it is physically impossible to check every single item before the moving guys leave the premises (note: they also gave me 2 moving times: 1:30 a.m. or 6:00 a.m.!) Also, some of the items were packed by me, which the insurance does not exclude, but the company used that as a reason to not pay the claim. I can understand that since they didn't pack it; however, it's not stated in the insurance contract...and if it's not in the contract, it's not in the contract!

I went through the BBB but they were no help. All they do is try to get you a response to the complaint and they basically act as the mediator between all communication between you and the company. Another note: if a complaint is resolved according to the BBB, it doesn't mean it was really resolved. It just means that after 3 back and forths and no conclusion, the customer has to either pay for mediation or take the company to court. Since people have already lost money, most won't want to sink more into it and so the complaint gets labeled by the BBB as 'resolved.' Also, it can be 'resolved' if the customer fails to respond to the company's response to their complaint within 10 days. (The company gets 30 days to respond and you only 10...go figure!)

Hope that helps![/quote]

Postby guest » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:13 pm

We recently used them for a small move - their packing was excellent and everything was very well protected. Our only problem was getting delivery in a timely fashion. If you need your stuff sooner than possibly 6 weeks, they're not the company to use. It took a lot of complaining/convincing on my part to get a delivery in 4 weeks, although the initial sales person told me 2 - 3 weeks, and at pickup I was told 3 - 3 1/2 weeks. Calls to their office were less than helpful and information was not always accurate. But finally, upon delivery, everything was in fine condition. Price was less than a large moving company, or even renting a truck and doing it ourselves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:37 pm

Hi - if you could provide more information about where you were moving the things from and to, and how much stuff you moved, and how much it cost, that would be good. We're very interested in investigating companies like MiniMoves and ShipSmart because many people come to this website asking about small shipments.

The company still has a large number of BBB complaints--39 in the past 36 months.

By contrast, ShipSmart has 10 BBB complaints in the past 36 months in its Aptos, CA location and no BBB complaints in its Santa Fe Springs, CA location, where it has an AA rating with the BBB. (Interesting that it has two locations listed--with a BBB membership in the former since 2000 and in the latter since October 2004.)

myexperience

Postby myexperience » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:57 pm

I used Minimoves in March to move some stuff from the San Francisco Bay Area to Chicago. My biggest complaint about them would be the pickup. My parents had to reschedule a vacation to wait for them to come pick up the stuff and they didn't come when promised. Then my parents got the phone of their dispatcher in LA who said the driver claimed to have called them to schedule pickup, which was an utter lie. However, half an hour later they got a call from the driver saying he was ten minutes away and coming. However, in packing the stuff they said they were very careful and made sure to note a small existing damaged spot on a desk. I was given 4 weeks approximate delivery time although it took slightly more than that. But I was able to keep appraised of where my stuff was en route (it was waiting in LA for a while). They claimed they would charge the payment the day of pickup but actually didn't charge it until 2 weeks later or so. As for delivery, the guys who did it were on time (but of course they were coming directly from Minimoves headquarters), efficient and professional. My feeling was that their staff in Illinois under their own control was obviously more professional than the people they were dealing with in California.

bdf

Postby bdf » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:01 am

I had a TERRIBLE experience with minimoves. They were very nice and helpful at the start giving the estimate and arranging everything. The pick up went well. Delivery was where it all went wrong. They said it would take 10 business days and weeks and weeks later I was calling for my stuff. On the delivery day they missed their window and when I called they said they would get there by the end of the day. I lived in a high rise and had to reservea block of time for the service elevator which of course someone else was then using. I made arrangements to get use of the elevator but the driver said they were too tired and would be back in the morning. They came 3 hours late the next morning. When they showed up they said they couldn't get their truck around back (the high rise manager said they had never had an issue before) and wanted to charge me $300 to go rent another truck. When they brought my stuff most of it was broken. I mean it looked like they had made a special effort to abuse my stuff. My most expensive piece of furniture was missing. They brought the base of my platform bed but not the platform. It was rediculous. When I called to complain the man on the phone could not have been ruder. When I asked to speak to his boss he said, "My boss retired" and laughed.

The whole experience made me sick. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

guest 2

Postby guest 2 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:15 am

I couldn't find their DOT number. My guess is they are an independent freight forwarder. This is between a broker and a full service mover. They are probably based in Chicago, and they ship furniture either by rail or general freight trucking. The reason for the complaints is probably venders at the destination, who the parent company has very little if any control over. They are probably acting in good faith, but are having difficulty servicing both ends of the move.

kateg

Postby kateg » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:12 am

I realize this thread is almost three years old but I had to add my experience with MiniMoves. I was moving from Washington DC to NJ and in the course of just a few days and three hours of driving they managed to damage several items. I wasn't too worried about it since I had bought extra insurance and expected that the items would be repaired or replaced. Much to my surprise, my claim was denied. I appealed and supplied multiple, detailed pictures of the damaged items and once again it was denied. I sent all of the paperwork and the pictures to my friend who is a lawyer. He looked over everything and said that it was a complete mess and that I could undoubtedly successfully sue them. However, since the company was located in Illinois, I was in New Jersey, and the move had been OUTSOURCED to TWO different companies in DC and NJ, the time and effort involved in bringing a lawsuit against the company would have been tremendous and would have ended up costing more than replacing the damaged items. Ultimately I decided not to do it for that reason, but needless to say I will never use them again and definitely recommend finding someone else.

garrettsever

Postby garrettsever » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:11 pm

We had a horrible experience with them. We payed for them to move an antique bedroom set from Atlanta, GA to Delaware and they trashed the furniture. We've put up a youtube video detailing the important parts of the experience, with pictures of the damage done. It cost us 10X what the "settlement" was to get it restored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ2L_ZG5ZGs

Do not use them, or if you do - make sure you insure heavily.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Removed

Return to “Open Community”