ALERT - avoid Anything Anywhere (Los Angeles area)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dgoldyn

ALERT - avoid Anything Anywhere (Los Angeles area)

Postby dgoldyn » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:18 pm

Sterling Van Lines, which came highly recommended from this sight, gave me a price on a move. They sent out a representative, gave me a contract which I signed and then turned around and cancelled the move two days later saying they gave me a price that was too low and no driver wanted the job! They kind of left me in the lurch. However they did call and recommend two other movers to take over the job which I suppose is the least they can do. But needless to say, I am not impressed with a company that signs a contract and renegs! So.....

The job is between Allied Movies of Beverly HIlls STorage who gave a not to exceed estimate of $6495 and a company called "Anyuthing Anywhere"
out of L.A. for $5900. This is a very tempting estimate but I never heard of the company although they were recommended by a realtor who had used them and recommended them.

Has anyone had any bad experiences or good experiences with "Anytime Anywhere"?

Better business bureau rate Beverly HIlls Transfer an "A" but Anything Anywhere a CCC.

Any thoughts on "Anything Anywhere"?versus Allied? :cry:

Diane

Re: Any information on L.A. Company called "Anything An

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:37 pm

This is not good.

To make sure I'm understanding you correctly, Sterling Van Lines bowed out after you had signed a contract with them but recommended two other companies. One is called Allied Moves and one is called Anything, Anywhere.

How does Beverly Hills Transfer (a highly reputable company) come into it? What is Beverly Hills Storage? How did a realtor get involved?

Once we can see exactly which companies you are talking about and who recommended them, we can go from there to advise you.

Also, please tell us where you are moving to, and when, and how much stuff you have.

dgoldyn

Postby dgoldyn » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:48 pm

Sterling Van Lines Bowed out and called Beverly Hills Transfer/Allied and Storage for me as well as Bekins Movers.

A separate realtor recomended Anything Anywhere; a company I never heard of. I am leaning toward paying the extra 500$ for Allied and Beverly HIlls Transfer's reputation.

But I guess I need info on "Anything Anywhere" which was recommended by a realtor.

Info on Anything Anywhere??

dgoldyn

Postby dgoldyn » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:51 pm

A realtor got involved because she wanted me to meet the deadline of moving out of my house on Feb 17 versus Bekin's ability to move me only on Feb 18. This is not a kick back situation.

Sorry about any confusion. Sterling recommended Beverly Hills Transfer/ Allied Van Lines. This realtor who wanted me to make my deadline recommended Anything Anywhere. I mistakenly called BH Transfer BH Storage. Hope this clears things up.

So again, any info on Anything Anywhere whose estimate is 5870?

David

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:00 pm

You definitely shouldn't use any company rated CCC by the Los Angeles BBB, but I'll look into Anything Anywhere a bit further in a minute.

:arrow: OK, there is a very bad report on Anything Anywhere (MC #436858) posted recently on Ripoff Report - http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff129007.htm . It has also been licensed only since 2002, according to www.safersys.org, despite what its BBB report says. Rule it out immediately. You want a company that has been in operation for at least 5 and preferably 10 years.

Beverly Hills Transfer (Allied) is a highly reputable company. Some Bekins agents in CA belong to a group called Bekins Moving LLC which should not be used, so I need to know which agent (company) you are talking about if you're still thinking about using Bekins.

If Beverly Hills Transfer is only $500 more than Anything Anywhere then you should definitely go with BH Transfer. Don't be railroaded into doing anything hasty. You have a lot more to lose than the realtor does. In fact, your realtor should be ashamed of having recommended such a company to you.

You don't say where you are moving to and what your weight is. I assume this is an interstate move.

This is about all I can come up with. I would be interested to know what your quote was from Sterling that they "took back." I plan to follow up on this because we can't speak completely favorably about a company that would do such a thing.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:44 pm

Thanks. I will go with Beverly Hills Transfer. This is for a move from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale.

My quote from Sterling was $6700.

My quote from Wheaton was $5900 but they wanted $1600 to hold it an extra 4 days.

I went with Sterling because I was moving out Feb 17 and didn't need the stuff until March 4. Being a small company, Sterling offered a later delivery date which worked for my time frame. (I don't move into the house in Florida until March 3) Wheaton wanted $1600 to hold it a few extra days. Atlas wanted 2000$ to hold it a few extra days. So i went with Sterling as they came highly recommended from this sight and their dates made sense for me.. Graebel gave an estimat that exceeded 10,000$.

This is the Sterling Nightmare. They said they would pick up Feb 17 and deliver March 4-17 which was great for me because there was no extra
$1600 fee to hold the stuff. I wanted a not to exceed estimate. They made me wait two weeks for the woman who does this to do the estimate as she was out of town; but I held out because of the benefit of the dates. They gave me an estimate. Then they called me back frantically a week later and said that if they pick up Feb 17, my stuff would not be delivered until March 28-to April 4. They then said if I could move on Feb 11-13 they could get my stuff to me by March 4-10. I aggreed to an earlier date.

I hustled and packed around the clock to make their deadline. Two days later, they canceled saying they couldn't find a driver but they would make some calls for me. They said none of their independent drivers (they use only independent drivers) would do it a that price. HOwever, they phoned in favors at Bekins and Bev Hills Transfer/ Allied.

Bekins gave me a price of $6600 but they couldn't pick up til the 18th which was too late. Escrow has me out on the 17th Which left Bev
Hills Transfer who could pick up the 17th and deliver the 3-7 of March.

Then a realtor for the woman buying my house recommended Ghiardelli Brothers whose cross country move is thru Anytime Anywhere. She was trying to get the deal to close on time and her client in my house on time.

Just so you know, asking for another day in the house ( to get to Bekins 18th pick up date) had their realtor hanging up on my realtor and almost created World War III in the realtor world.

Sterling created a big hassle and a nightmare! How can they sign a contract and reneg?? You should look into this.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:55 pm

Good decision. Chances are that the Bekins agent belongs to that LLC group anyway and wouldn't have been a very good idea. Glad I could help a little.

I don't know anything about Sterling personally but its reviews and comments here have been good. I'll try to have one of the moverpros look into it. It sounds as if the company is brokering things out more than I thought and is also rather disorganized. Someone else recently posted that they took a long time to get back with a quote. In their defense, at least they did try to help you find another company after letting you down.

I'll be hoping that your dates work out OK. As you know, moving isn't an exact science but it sounds as if you are on the right track. If I were you, I would keep on top of things with BH Transfer to let them know how important that pickup date is for you, to prevent any further threats of war. :wink:

Nancy

Re: Information on L.A. Company called Anything Anywhere?

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:26 am

I'm confused why Sterling would have gotten involved in your move in the first place. The specialize in small moves, and it seems you have a fairly significant size move.

I do business in L.A. and have NEVER heard of Anything Anywhere. Do you have their license number, phone or address?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:39 pm

www.anythinganywhere.us, MC436858

ANYTHING ANYWHERE INC, DBA ANYTHING ANYWHERE MOVING & STORAGE
Address 5811 S SAN PEDRO ST
LOS ANGELES, CA 90011
Telephone/Fax (626) 585-0990 / (323) 846-1117

cynsnclr

Postby cynsnclr » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:50 pm

Yes, I just had a very bad experience with Anything Anywhere, which is why I am on this site. I just filed a complaint on them with the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) and have also filed a police report for grand theft with my former local police. I was looking for an interstate moving company in the Los Angeles area and thought I was dealing with USA Movers, East Coast Express (as the two names they listed.) I was not aware they were a broker for Anything, Anywhere until today when the CA PUC told me this. However, I knew something was fishy when what turned out to be the salesman from USA Movers seemed to drop off the face of the earth after I sent in my deposit for my move. I tracked them through the PUC number the salesman had given me, which turned out to be Anything Anywhere. There were a nightmare to deal with - you name it, they did it. Showed up 5 hours late with a truck too small for what I had too move. The driver called the company to say he was walking off the job because I would not cooperate with him. He claimed he had to repack everything at a charge of $80/hr to me to get the items in the truck. I had to be out the next day, so had no choice but to go along with them. I was told I would only be charged 3 hours packing, but supposedly I was charged over 10 hours. I never got an itemized statement of my bill, so I don't really know what they charged me for. I do know it was double the estimate. Even after the repacking, the things still wouldn't fit in the truck, so they had to come back the next day with another truck. In the meantime, I had told the 'movers' (one professional mover and 2 warehouse workers, as I found out) not to touch one of my boxes as I wanted to put some things from it in my car. The driver did walk off the job but left these others. Only one could pack and the others spent their time 'repacking.' That is, going through my things, apparently looking for things to steal. They did no packing. When I later went to put my software CDs in my car from the box I had told them not to touch, I found they were missing along with some other items. I called the company the next day and they told me likely the CDs/wallets were packed and to calm down and wait until I unpacked. I never found them, as I suspected I would not, and after calling the area police 3 times, I finally filed a report for grand theft. This is currently awaiting assignment to a Detective. The driver and others brazenly stole other things from me including my tools and were rude, crude, and lewd. To make a long story short, they showed up in the new state (same driver who had hired 2 local day laborers) again, the driver being very nasty in attitude and grossly dressed. That is, with shorts (in 32 degree weather) hanging halfway down his naked butt, which was disgusting and obscene, in my opinion. They had inflated the price to twice the estimate. The driver demanded payment, which I had in a cashier check. I asked for a receipt and was refused. The driver then tried to get me to sign a form stating I had received everything in good condition. I told him this was ridiculous - he hadn't even brought up one thing, let alone that I could see the condition. He threw another tantrum and again said he was walking off the job. This time I was ready to let him and just call the police on him. He apparently thought better of it. About 1/3 of my things are now missing after complete unpacking and much of the rest has unbelievable damage. It looks more like vandalism than carelessness - this also being the opinion of others involved in trying to make repairs. Nearly every set of anything I had - dishes, books, whatever, has some part missing. Just enough to ruin the value in some cases. I had refused to sign the forms that I got everything in good condition because it was obvoius at the time many boxes were missing. The driver called the company who advised him to write 'refused to sign' and leave and he did. This entire company was a nightmare to deal with and still are. PUC has other complaints on them for damage and loss, as I found out this morning. I did call the PUC to check on them at first and was told there were no complaints. The man I talked to this morning had no explanation for this, as he said there are other complaints for damage and loss. Right now I am trying to decide on my next course of action after I talk to the police.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:52 pm

You mentioned the PUC, was this an instate California move?

I'm so sorry this happened! They seem like a horrible company!

MusicMom

Re: ALERT - avoid Anything Anywhere (Los Angeles area)

Postby MusicMom » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:24 am

To make a long story short, they showed up in the new state... with shorts (in 32 degree weather)

Sounds like they moved somewhere new and cold, and out of CA.

Neither USA MOVers or any Eat West Express is licensed to broker your move out to Anything ANywhere, so please include these companies in your compalints. Can you list the contact info you had for these companies, so we can be perfectly sure which one you dealt with?

I'm sorry you ahd to go through this. I do hope the rest of your things show up, and the police act on your theft claim.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:55 am

Below is the info on East Coast Movers aka East Coast Movers. They list themselves as an agent for Anything, Anywhere. What do you mean this is grounds for complaint against them? The whole thing is a nightmare and continues to be so. The movers went through every single thing I own. They even went through my filing cabinets. I found some things there and others gone. I feel so violated and helpless. I talked to the police in the new area today and they said to file a complaint tomorrow and this sounds like embezzlement. The other police dept. took a complaint for grand theft. Not sure if either police dept will investigate or they are just taking reports. Yes, it was an interstate move. But I was held over 2 days in CA on the initial move and told the movers not to touch the box with my computer stuff in it. When I went to put it back in my home that night and to put my software in my car, I realized it was missing. So CA PUC might be able to do something as this thef clearly occurred in CA before the move took place. Anyway I am trying to convince them to do something. It is nearly a full time job just filing complaints against these people and following up. It is so draining and depressing. Anyway, here is the requested info:

USA Movers
?East Coast Express?
Agents for ANYTHING ANYWHERE MOVING & STORAGE

License #MC 436858/ PUC 179255

11024 Balboa Blvd #131

Granada Hills, CA 91344

(818) 831-1765 / (818) 475-1950 fax

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:15 am

You mentioned the PUC, was this an instate California move?

CA PUC now has authority to act on interstate moves as long as one end of the move is in CA.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:23 am

Tyrone, I think the PUC is still limited to only Intra California moves. The new law gave the Attorney General and City Attornies power over any moves that touch California.

Have you heard of an instance where the PUC got involved on an interstate move?

Return to “Open Community”