Chicago to West Los Angeles Move & Self Storage in LA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Guest JY

Chicago to West Los Angeles Move & Self Storage in LA

Postby Guest JY » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:16 am

Any recommendations for good self storage locations in or around West Los Angeles that offer access to a tractor trailer, great security, and easy access to storage units?

I found Price Self Storage on google and was wondering if anyone has had experience with them.

Also, I got a quote from United Van Lines - Armstrong (in Elk Grove Village, IL) to move about 1 BR worth of "stuff" from Chicago to LA. Unfortunately, I had to do the "phone" estimate since I was in LA at the time. The gentleman I spoke to was very polite and insisted a few times that I get a quote in person, but I was unable to find anyone who could show him my place in Chicago. Being that he insisted upon coming out to give me a quote and also that he is from United, I feel that I can trust him.

Based on my description of what I figured would need to be moved, he estimated that I have about 2600 pounds & 371 cubic feet of "stuff. I also noticed that Tariff = 400N. He said then when they actually pick up my stuff and weigh the truck, they will adjust the estimate accordingly. Say I come in at 2000 pounds, will I get 600 pounds in "credit"?

Also, I went for the full coverage insurance valued at $10,000 for $186 with 0 deductible. He did inform me that any PBO (packed by owner) boxes would probably not be covered unless they were crushed and I opened the box in the presence of a United rep to confirm there was damage from the "crushing" of the box.

Armstrong sounds like a reputable outfit and I'm pretty confident in my decision to use their services. Does anyone have feedback or comments that they would like to share? Thanks in advance.

Josh

Diane

Re: Chicago to West Los Angeles Move & Self Storage in L

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:07 am

Josh,

Armstrong United (Chicago) has an excellent reputation. Everything you have reported that the rep said sounds right to me. Because he couldn't see your things, I think you probably have a Nonbinding estimate. In that case you have to take it on faith that Armstrong will weigh the shipment and lower the price if the weight is less. I think you should trust them.

What the rep said about your having to note that the PBO boxes are "crushed" on delivery also fits with what others have posted here. Hopefully that won't happen to you if you use strong enough boxes and pack them solid so they can be stacked without collapsing.

As for Price Self Storage, it is right in the center of Los Angeles. It looks OK to me but one of the moving professionals here (Nancy) may know more, and she may also know other places to consider. You could send her a Private Message to ask if you sign up as a member. The Armstrong rep may also know about good self-storage places in LA.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:06 pm

I'm not sure that you can get a total "guarantee" of tractor trailer access at any mini-storage. It depends on where in the complex your unit is located in, as well as the general lay out of the complex. You can try to get the mini-storage employees to put it in writing, and best hope scenario is to make them pay for the shuttle if the truck doesn't fit. However, I've never seen any mini-storage employee willing to put anything like that in writing. The access for large trucks also depend on any power lines, the turns the truck has to make, etc.

Guest JY

Postby Guest JY » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:41 am

Diane & Nancy -

Thanks for the great replies! I called the mini-storage that I was interesting in using (link is in my original post) and they confirmed that they could indeed receive a tractor-trailer to unload. I also asked Armstrong to call them as well to re-confirm. Armstrong e-mailed me the following response, "Just spoke with the facility in La and was advised that they are tractor trailer friendly. In fact they were unloading a tractor trailer ask we were speaking."

It was quite nice of him to do that and I am comfortable that the move should be ok.

FWIW, the mini-max storage is about a 1/2 mile off of I-10, so it should be pretty easy for United to access.

Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how everything goes.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:46 am

Good - I would really like to have a review because we don't have an actual review as yet. What we have are good remarks by moverpros and also praise of Armstrong sales reps by various people who got quotes from them.

Guest JY

Postby Guest JY » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:09 am

First, I apologize for the extremely DELAYED report.

Regarding Armstrong. Two gentleman showed up a bit delayed (~20 mins) due to traffic which is definitely understandable in Chicago. A majority (95%) of my stuff was packed and the Armstrong folks went ahead and starting taping blankets around my couches and anything else that need "extra" padding. When they started to move my "stuff" to the truck, they were very careful to not bump my door/walls/anything as to not damage my building nor my stuff.

All in all, the guys in Chicago did a great job!

A few days later, I received a call my rep and he told me that my load was actually a bit heavy. Instead of the 2600 pound estimate, it turned out to be around 3200 pounds. I recall the driver saying he had to stop and get gas. I asked the sales rep if the truck's empty weight was taken *after* it was filled with gas and he said yes. I had really no reason to think he was lying as he was quite honest and professional with me throughout the entire process. So, I went ahead and paid.

My load took about 10-12 days to arrive. I don't remember the exact time, but it was well within estimates. The driver called me 2 days in advance to confirm a time and the place (Self Storage facility) where they would be doing the dropoff.

Moving Day morning, I receive a call from the driver saying he will be there in about an hour, so I head out to meet him. The driveway for the moving facility was a bit awkward, for a 18 wheeler, but the driver had great skills and was able to pull it in without a problem. I was quite impressed, those drivers certainly earn their paycheck. A crew of 3 local guys were there to help the driver unload my stuff into storage and they all did a great job. They were very careful moving my stuff and they packed my storage garage quite well. I tipped the crew (~20 pp) and we all went on our merry way.

I noticied that one shelf on a bookshelf was slightly broken ... I didn't care about it as it's a cheap IKEA shelf made from particle board, so I didn't cause a stink with the crew. Months later, I noticed I'm missing my vacuum cleaner ... but that was cheap and old too ... but too late to report as I signed everything.

I strongly recommend Armstrong for anyone moving from Chicago. They are professional, reliable, & trustworthy. They may be a bit expensive, but they are definitely worth it!

Thanks to everyone movingscam for providing me with great information!

I used some local movers to move my stuff from storage to my new home. They were cheap, but I'd give them a 3 / 5 rating ... couch was scuffed a bit ... again, you get what you pay for. They tried to force a piece of furniture into the bedroom that just wasn't going to fit. I then told them that they damaged part of the wall, that I wanted credit for an hours worth of work, and they complied. I know this wasn't the proper procedure, but, I just wanted this guys out of my house. I could deal with the slight damage to the wall.

Off-topic: I contemplated selling much of my stuff in Chicago and then buying when out in LA. I'm happy that I didn't do that and paid for the movers. This way I have a habitable home and can "upgrade" at my leisure.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:46 pm

Thanks so much for the good report! We'll keep it in mind when others ask about Chicago movers. I think it is actually our first review of Armstrong-Chicago (United).

Return to “Open Community”