Any Experience with A-1 Moving out of Jupiter, Florida??

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
brendainfla

Any Experience with A-1 Moving out of Jupiter, Florida??

Postby brendainfla » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:21 am

DOT is 125550 but that is the Atlas DOT --- A-1 is an Atlas agent.
A-1 is a recent member of the BBB and has a decent record with Palm Beach County.
Does anyone have experience with A-1? A lot of companies are named "A-1" and I know some of them have been blacklisted, but any experience with this particular A-1?? Thanks.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Any Experience with A-1 Moving out of Jupiter, Florida??

Postby twalker » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:43 am

Hi Brenda,

I don't have personal experience with them, but here is what they have listed with the AMSA:

A-1 Moving & Storage Company
President: Thomas Klause
Vans: 9 (small)
Straight: 9 (medium)
Power: 4 (large)
Warehouse: 45,000 Sq. Ft.
Scale: 80 ft

I don't think that most scammers want to be anywhere near a scale let alone own one that has to be certified on a regular basis. :wink:

Oh... being an AMSA member doesn't mean anything, but at least the extra info may be able to help you decide if you want to get an in-home estimate from A-1.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:32 pm

My Atlas agency has done business with A-1 and we have found them to be good folks. I can't guarantee the quality of their service, but my moving comapny has used them and we have had good results.

Dave in WPB FL

Postby Dave in WPB FL » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:07 pm

Wonderful help folks! Thanks!

Jim with A-1 Moving &

Postby Jim with A-1 Moving & » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:25 pm

Hello,

My name is Jim Karrh and I am the director of sales with A-1 Moving & Storage in Jupiter, Florida. I want to give you some additional information on our company to aid in the search for a reputable mover in Florida.

We have been in business in Jupiter since 1972 and are a family owned business.

We have been agents in good standing with Atlas since 1974.

Our Palm Beach County Moving Business Permit number is PBC#MV11 with whom we maintain an excellent reputation.

We are members of AMSA and the Florida Movers and Warehouseman's Association (FMWA) and are in good standing with both organizations.

DOT information: US DOT 872307 FL

We are also members of several civic, service, community and professional organizations including:
Jupiter, Tequesta, Hobe Sound Association of Realtors,
Palm Beach Board of Realtors,
Trustee member of Jupiter, Tequesta, Juno Beach Chamber of Commerce
Northern Palm Beach Chamber of Commerce,
Board member and Vice President of the Hobe Sound Chamber of Commerce,
Business Development Board of the Palm Beach County,
Jupiter Sunrise Kiwanis Club.

Our address is:
15070 Corporate Road North
Jupiter, FL 33478
561-625-0600

We would welcome anyone who is looking for a reputable mover to please make an unannounced visit to our facility for a tour. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
jim@a1moving.com
561-625-0600 ext 27

brendainfla

Postby brendainfla » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:33 pm

I chose A-1 and am pleased to report that it was the best move I have ever had --- they picked up my things in Boca last Thursday and delivered in Philly on Monday. Great crew --- driver Albert Santiago and his guys did a terrific job. Nothing broken, nothing lost, took great care to do it right. Didn't beat up the walls coming or going. Polite and respectful, nice demeanor, hard working. Called me and kept me posted as to anticipated delivery time.
I interviewed quite a number of movers, got estimates from three. A-1 was not the cheapest (a bit on the high end but in the ballpark) but I am willing to pay a fair price for good performance --- there are so many horror stories in SoFla that I really took the time to do a lot of research and it did pay off.
Believe me, I would have been the first to blast them if they did a bad job, so only fair they get a good word for a great one.
Thanks for the help of this board - I did read the articles and did post here and actually did the homework --- yes, it's a nuisance but better than being tortured by a bad mover. Good moves to all! Brenda.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:14 pm

Congratulations to A-1 and we'll certainly keep this company in mind because lots and lots of people come on here asking about a reputable mover in South Florida. I like the fact that they hauled the load using their own truck and driver, and the driver who picked it up was the driver who delivered it. It sounds as if they sent a helper with him too (?).

Thanks, Brenda, for taking the time to post.

brendainfla

Postby brendainfla » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:24 am

Diane, just a quick follow up --- yes, the same three guys loaded me in Boca and unloaded me in Philly. I liked that, too --- some continuity in the process. And the driver, Albert, really took responsibility for the move -- he called me from the road to keep me apprised of his progress on the drive up so I could plan for the delivery. Very professional crew. Brenda.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:04 am

brendainfla wrote:Diane, just a quick follow up --- yes, the same three guys loaded me in Boca and unloaded me in Philly. I liked that, too --- some continuity in the process. And the driver, Albert, really took responsibility for the move -- he called me from the road to keep me apprised of his progress on the drive up so I could plan for the delivery. Very professional crew. Brenda.

I just want to highlight some things that Brenda said, because, to me, this kind of continuity has an enormous amount of influence on whether a move is successful or not.
-The driver who picked up her goods was the same driver who delivered them.
-He used helpers known to him and A-1 rather than random souls picked up off the street.
-The goods were never transferred into and out of a warehouse waiting for the driver to show up.
Usually, less handling of the goods means that there is less chance of damage, and the chain of responsibility remains clear.

The reviews on this messageboard indicate that people whose moving companies can self-haul their loads using their own trucks and drivers have a better chance, overall, of having a good move. The moving company has better control over pickup and delivery dates and it knows the drivers involved. This doesn't mean that a move can't be good if a long-haul driver assigned by the van line is involved, only that it presents special challenges. Long-haul drivers often MUST be involved if the move is long-distance rather than short-distance, because the local agent can't send its own trucks and drivers that far.

All I hope for with A-1 is that it has another driver as good as Albert to replace him when Albert moves over to Ace (as Brenda reported in another thread).

Return to “Open Community”