Moving from Atlanta, GA to Columbus, OH

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Mel1234

Moving from Atlanta, GA to Columbus, OH

Postby Mel1234 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:47 am

Guys,
First off let me just say how wonderful that we have a website like this and thanks to all the contributors. This is my first post but I've been browsing some of the web pages for a few days now.
My pregnant wife and I are moving from Atlanta to Columbus, OH and so we really can't do the drive it yourself option here. Also we don't know many people or have made friends that I can ask to help unload. We feel the best option for us is to get one of the full service movers, do our own packing and let them load, drive and unload our stuff. We live in a 1 bedroom and don't have too many things (that's what we think, the closets are still left to be investigated :) )
I've read up some of the articles on how to pick a mover and what to avoid, but I don't know where to start. Should I go to each of the mover's websites and ask them for a quote? Where can I get a good list of movers? I went to "AMSA Mover Referral Service" web site and picked 5 or 6 movers two days ago but only 2 of them have contacted me so far.
Are there any recommended movers that I should start with? If there is an existing document that I missed or may be an older message thread, please point it to me.

Thanks,
Mel.

Diane

Re: Moving from Atlanta, GA to Columbus, OH

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:28 am

Suddath (United) has a good review here for a move from Atlanta to Nashville - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2975. Note that this was a corporate move (paid for by the person's employer) and sometimes such moves go better than individual moves. However, Suddath has a good reputation overall. Try to use a company that will move you in its own trucks rather than transferring your goods into a truck owned by the van line.

You might want to get a quote from an Atlas, Allied, and North American agent as well. All are major van lines. I haven't read anything on this board about such agents in Atlanta but if you ask around (realtors, employers) you should be able to get some recommendations. It's probably not worth it to get more than one quote from agents of the same van line, although a Mayflower agent in Atlanta that has been highly spoken of here is AC White Moving Systems. Mayflower and United are both part of UniGroup so will probably have similar quotes.

Mel1234

Postby Mel1234 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:25 pm

Thanks Diane. I actually did submit a web request last evening, they have yet to contact me.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:57 pm

Mel,

Dont request a web quote from any of them. Call them, schedule a in home survey. Look in your yellow pages for agents that represent those companies Diane mentioned. Go to their web sites and do an agent search for GA. Call their 800 numbers, but get them to your home.

Best of luck and congratulations on the baby.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Melissa

Postby Melissa » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:09 am

<ADVERTISMENT REMOVED>

Mel1234

Postby Mel1234 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:59 am

Thanks for the info guys. I wanted to give you guys a quick update. I went online to some of their web sites and asked for a quote. I filled up one of the inventory list for AAA Lines and got a quote that I thought was quite low. I went home and checked with my stuff and I started discovering so many things that I forgot to list on the inventory list.

Also from the articles and discussions that I read, where everyone suggested an in home quote, I realized these moving guys have to come here and see what I have. Then I started getting calls from North American VL's agent Freeman and United's Armstrong and they both insisted on coming to my home (they get points for that)

Diane, I don't think Suddath does residential moves, Armstrong seems to be the preffered United VL agent atleast in Atlanta. I got them directly after requesting a quote from the United website. Allied Van Lines agent, Berger Atlanta, hasn't returned my call; I'm going to try once more tomorrow and then give up on them. I just rec'd a voice mail from AC White and I need to return their call.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:20 am

Mel,

Suddath does do residential moves. Either agent is good.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

CC

Postby CC » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:40 am

Don't use AAA Van Lines, if it is the one in Norcross. I haven't moved with them but have done business with them. Extremely shadey.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:29 am

CC wrote:Don't use AAA Van Lines, if it is the one in Norcross. I haven't moved with them but have done business with them. Extremely shadey.

Thank you. I just deleted their e-mail.

This is the handiest place. Yep, I put my name out there on the moving sites, thinking "wow, what a great idea."

I'm now thinking about my U-Hail truck with the lower deck than the competition.

Brian

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:52 pm

Uhaul has terrible custoemr service and trucks that fall apart and break down at he drop of a hat. I'm not sure an easier loading would be enough to warrant risking time and money (that is, if you even GET the truck you reserved) and hire UHaul over Penske or Budget, which have newer trucks and better service. They aso have ramps to make the loading easier from the ground.

Doug

Postby Doug » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:22 am

Quick notes for thought.

Do you have a digital camera? Take pictures of EVRYTHING you have going . Suggest box by box and before stuff is wrapped.. This will help with any claim with damages, checking against lists and also will help with knowing what might be inside boxes you packed.

Take pictures of your doorways and hallway walls. Scratches, dings dents can then be claimed and not said was prior damage.

Walk around with the person who generates the Bill of lading. They are going be marking scratches, dents, wear, etc. Before he puts these notations make sure it is accurate. Your "brand" new items could be listed as stained and worn so make sure they change it.

Take pictures of the truck/s. May sound goofy but this will benefit later if you have issue with brokered moves.

Do a walk around during the process and after they finished the loading process. If you find damages on anything, note this on the B of L and have them initial everything.

GET extra moving insurance, seperate from the mover.. get FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE coverage. Minimum of 50K.

Check if any credit card or AAA or any other club you may belong to offers moving perks.

Cover your bases and I hope all goes well for your move.

Return to “Open Community”