Union Moving.com and Gullivers Movers from CO please help!!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Molly

Union Moving.com and Gullivers Movers from CO please help!!!

Postby Molly » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:37 am

Hi-
I moved from Oklahoma City to Philadelphia, PA on March 1. I got a rate from unionmoving.com and I paid a deposit of $508.00 to secure my move. The movers called me on the friday before the move (scheduled for sunday) and told me a truck had broken down in Utah and they wouldn't be able to pickup my stuff until Tuesday. I explained this was not acceptable. After a couple of hours and several phone calls, I was assured that they would be there on Sunday. Saturday comes and I get a call saying that they will be there on Monday. Monday comes and they comes to take inventory and I paid them $350,it will be tuesday for the move, tuesday rolls around (I was starting a new job and had to leave for Philly) and they said they would be there about 1 am on wed. morning. Well I had my mother in law come over while they moved and everything was okay. I was told it would be delivered on March 11 or 12th/ we called the movers and thay said it will be 7 more days. I got a call last night from the mover saying that they will be here on Friday. The catch: the people from Gullivers movers state that they haven't gotten any $ from Union moving. He said he is going to call Union and have them credit me for the money they owe him so I can pay him. he said if they dont' credit it then he will call me and have me call Union moving and credit it back. he said if they won't then he doesn't know what he'll do. he said "i thought about not even unloading the shipment, I mean money is money". then he said "molly, the last thing I want to do is rip you off. wouldn't do that and I wouldn't hold your furniture, I wouldn't do that" Then why mention it???? The move was for $1,199 and my box count was LESS than estimated when they took inventory. I have paid $858.08 so far. I am fine w/paying them the rest. even though they were VERY behind the whole time. I am not going to pay them more. What should I do when they arrive tomorrow? I already have copies of my contract and every e-mail from union moving. receipts of payment and canceled checks. Should I be nice and let them unload first, then settle the price argument? I don't want them to do soemthing to my stuff and union moving could care less, I can barely get them to return my phone calls and e-mails. I also can't find a number in CO for a gullivers movers anywhere! Please advise me on what to do!!!! Thank you!! :)

consumer advocate

Re: Union Moving.com and Gullivers Movers from CO please hel

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:49 am

Molly,

Sorry about what you're going through. This is the information that the DOT has on file about Gullivers Movers.

GULLIVERS MOVERS
10900 W 120TH AVE UNIT C
BROOMFIELD, CO 80021
Phone: (303) 410-8787
Business Phone: (720) 275-4900
Mailing Address: 1077 E 9TH AVE 102
BROOMFIELD, CO 80020
USDOT Number: 1192327
MC or MX Number: 476460

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:53 am

This is the information on file with the BBB:

Gullivers Movers, Inc.
1077 E. 9th St. #102
Broomfield, CO 80020

Original Business Start Date: 11/01/93
Principal: Cathey Ellis
Phone Number: 303-420-3636
Fax Number: 720-974-1757
Web Site Address:
Membership Status: no
Type of Business: Movers

Sorry to have to tell you this but they are most likely a scam company. They have an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB.

Please post back here about any progress you make. We may be able to give you other advice. You should also register for the site in case we need to give that advice in private. Registering will give you access to private messages from the volunteers here.

Molly

Postby Molly » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:53 am

WOW! You're fast. Thanks for the info. My husband said the driver called a couple of mins ago and said he'd be there in the morning. I am getting prepared, I hope that everything just works out but I am preparing for the worst case scenario.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:54 am

Molly,

We were posting at the same time. Read my second message.

Molly

Postby Molly » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:14 pm

Yeah, i saw that. This is awful. Thanks for the info.

Molly

Postby Molly » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:33 pm

Anybody have any advice for what I should be prepared for? I have several big men offering to stand by while the movers are at my house. Anybody have any ideas as how to approach the situation?

Molly22

Postby Molly22 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:38 pm

I registered but I can't check my personal e-mail until I am @ home

Molly022

Postby Molly022 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:38 pm

I called Unionmoving and the manager there told me to have to police waiting when they arrived and that they can't make me pay anymore than what's on the contract. she said the guy w/ gullivers owes her money and that she's cancelling his contract w/them. Well it woulda been nice to know this BEFORE i booked the move. She said they are a terrible company and she's never using them again and that they have been fighting over money for a long time.
NICE...................
I will never use a moving company again.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:06 pm

Molly,

I wouldn't necessarily trust what Unionmoving tells you. The scam brokers and scam movers generally work together. The broker is well aware of what the mover is doing. You should ask the police to be present but if Gullivers asks you for more money and tries to hold your belongings hostage for more than the estimated amount then the police will generally tell you it's a civil matter and they will not enforce anything on the contract. That's one of the big problems with the moving industry and one of the main reasons this website was created...to help warn consumers and to draw attention to the fact that the industry lacks even basic consumer protections that you would naturally assume. Definitely ask the police to be there though, as well as your large male friends. Most moving companies force you to pay before they'll unload a single thing so be prepared for that.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:37 pm

She said they are a terrible company and she's never using them again and that they have been fighting over money for a long time

That statement proves that the 2 "different" companies are in cahoots with each other. If they had been screwed for money then they would not still be using them, would they?? Look at it this way: based on your experience with them, would YOU ever use them again? So it is absurd that they would keep using them, isn't it!

By the way, Gullivers is a known scammer.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

AP

Postby AP » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:14 pm

FYI,

Mike Bonora and Cathey Schliske are back in business again! It seems the DOT can't do their job. They are no longer Gulliver's Movers. They are now known as Budget Movers or Broomfield Transit. Stay away from this company and these people. They are crooks!!!

Deni

Re: Budget Movers/Broomfield Transit: won't deliver!

Postby Deni » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:37 pm

Does anyone know about Budget Movers and Mike Bonora from Broomfield Colorado? He was hired by Top Relocation, Inc to move my furniture and office equipment until they (Top Relo) could get a mover. Top Relocation has not paid him and he just sent me notice if I don't pay him $1,255.00 (for a 3.5 hour move) by August 7th he's going to auction off my furniture, office equipment and business inventory.

Can anyone tell me more about them please? I must stop him now and all he has to say is "sue me".

PS: Do NOT use Top Relocation, Inc. They will take your money and not deliver.

Thank you,

Deni Niethammer
303-995-4742
Deni-N@earthlink.net

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Holy crap, Top Relocation's been busy lately!

Budget Movers (legal name of Broomfield Transit) has been placed Out Of Service byt he FMCSA and their license is revoked. This puts a new spin on the situation.

Follow the suggestions I sent in the PM. Hopefully someone can help you. This situation is a little different than regular scam moves. Usually the "the broker didn't pay me" scam happens with international moves. Hostage loads happen (unfortunately) several times with interstate moves, but usually the broker takes a small deposit and the mover collects the rest. I assume you paid Top Relocation in full up front if the mover is demanding to be paid. And if the mover demanding to be paid cannot legally fulfill the contract you're paying him to do, things get a bit more complicated.

But first, are you ABSOLUTELY sure that Budget/Broomfield has your things? You said that Top Relo hired him to take your things while they looked for a mover. What exactly does this mean? Did they not intend Buget to be the actual mover?

Deni, I hate to say this, but I think you may need to pay Budget Movers if nothing else works for you in the next couple days. Have him release your stuff to another mover that can legally deliver your goods. Then you can go to court and retreive your payment from Top Relocation. Then you need to take Budget to court and get the money overcharged to be returned to you, sicne there's no way a 3.5 hour move costs $1255.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:39 am

MM, I talked to Deni yesterday by phone for at least an hour. (I'm sort of designating myself to be a Top Relocation moving scam expert :D )

She has one thing that throws me, and maybe you will be the one to better help her. She was moving from CO to NC. Budget/Broomfield DID pick up her things (she has some documentation including Company Name, phone and fax number and contact name). They claim they put it into storage IN COLORADO. Now, since it hasn't crossed state lines, would this be considered an intra-state move? I advised Deni to contact the CO PUC about this. Budget claimed that her move took 10 hours, as opposed to the actual time of 3 1/2 hours. But again, none of this is noted. She didn't receive any paperwork from them other than the information above. They "claim" they haven't received payment from Top Relocation and if they don't get paid they will place her goods up for auction at the end of THIS month. Top Relocations "claims" they are working with the mover. I told her that her best bet is to have a friend check out the storage space, to verify those are her things, and then pay Budget. At least she would have her things. And then file a suit against them for holding her goods hostage. Any other suggested are wanted!

Farrah

Return to “Open Community”