Moving from Germantown, MD to Tampa, FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bsh117

Moving from Germantown, MD to Tampa, FL

Postby bsh117 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:02 am

Wow!
My head is spinning!

My wife and I are moving to Tampa, FL in approximately two months. We have just begun our research on moving companies. With our limited research so far and with the help of this message board, I think we are going to contact Moyer and Sons as well as Matthew Moving Co for in-home quotes. I have also read a post where a great experience was described using Mid-State Moving & Storage based in Clearwater, Florida. Since we really should get more than two in-home quotes, I was wondering if anyone else could share good experiences with moving companies in our area. I am willing to PM anyone if that is more appropriate, I understand that it is not policy to recommend a moving company.
Thanks!
Brian
"Hoping for a smooth move to Tampa!"

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Moving from Germantown, MD to Tampa, FL

Postby twalker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:44 am

Hi BSH117,

Definitely rule out Mid-State. They can't do an in-home estimate, and reports on them have been flaky in recent months. Matthew Moving looks pretty good so you will probably want to get an in-home estimate from them. All of their licenses check out and they've been in business a LONG time. Is Moyer and Sons an agent for a van line? I couldn't find a DOT license for them.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:33 pm

I've seen the Moyer and Sons trucks around once or twice, actually, a house down the street used them a month or so ago. Blue trucks.

They are not agents for a major. DOT#222787. 46 trucks of their own. In business since 1981. Get an estimate from them for comparison. If you do use them please be sure to let us know, as I am always on the lookout for good movers int eh DC Metro area.

bsh117

Postby bsh117 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:00 pm

Thanks for the input! I'll call both local companies to set up in-home estimates and I'll report back. Any other companies in the area that I should consider?
Thanks!
Brian

bsh117

Postby bsh117 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:22 am

Hi all!

I've scheduled my in-home estimate from the above mentioned moving companies, but I have also contacted a third. I've called JK Moving & Storage. I spoke to Celia and asked her a couple of questions. The way she answered one of the questions concerned me and I wanted to know if I was just being too sensitive. I asked her whether the same people loading our truck in MD would be the same unloading in FL. She stated no, except the driver would be the same. I then asked her who would be unloading besides the driver. She stated that they have moving companies in FL that they have worked with and they would hired them to unload. She stated that they do not hire day laborers. However, when I asked her what company will they hiring to unload the truck, she asked me why I wanted to know. This concerns me. I stated that I would like to know the company that they will be working with to unload the truck. She stated that since our move may be in the busy time of the year, they may be calling several different companies and JK may not know which one they will use. Should I be concerned with the response from Celia or is this a normal thing?
Thanks!
Brian

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:33 pm

Seems like an improper answer from Celia, but i don't think you should be worried. They will have to take whichever of their associates that has available workers that day, and simply may not know the answer until closer to that time.

If you do hire JK, please let us know, as we've never heard about them as a long distance mover. They have a great rep as a local mover.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:48 pm

Ultimately, the driver and JK moving are liable for anything that occurs by the loading and unloading labor. Many times, the customer service people may not know who the driver/dispatch is planning to use. So her answer isn't entirely inappropriate as her company is the one liable.

bsh117

Postby bsh117 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:34 am

Thanks for the input. I understand that her company will ultimately be liable, however, there may be a whole bunch of finger pointing before anything may be solved.

The woman from JK will be coming out to my home tomorrow for an in home estimate. I'll report back afterwards.

I've gotten a quote from Matthew Moving in Clarksburg (Allied). He seemed very nice, however one response to a question bothered me. He stated that they would not know whether a Matthew Moving driver would be taking our possessions to FL or another Allied driver who would be passing through. He mentioned that an Allied Plant City driver may end up taking our stuff to FL on his way back home. I guess I would be more confortable knowing a Matthew driver was moving me since they seem to have a good reputation. I know nothing of the Plant City company even though the Matthew rep said that they have worked well in the past.

I also had a person from Moyer stop by last week (the grandson). He walked around the house and showed me a weight of 7000 lbs (Matthew moving was approx 7300 lbs). I didn't get a quote from him because he said that he would have to work one up with his father. However, he did mention that it would be a firm quote, and there would be no change for additional or lesser weight. I also asked him to see the tarrifs and how he planned on determining the quote. He said he couldn't show me the tarrifs, but he stated that he would look at man hours and tarrifs in order to determine the quote. His father would then look at it, and determine the final quote depending on his mood. The grandson said "depending on his mood" half jokingly...only half jokingly. We'll see what the quote is whenever he gets back to me.
Thanks!
Brian

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:52 am

Assuming that a company is reputable (all of yours seem to be), it's best if the driver who picks up your load is the driver who delivers it, and it's even better if the helpers are the same as well. Every time there is a transfer of goods, there is increased risk of damage. Are these companies going to take your goods to their warehouse and then transfer them to another truck? This may be unavoidable, but I think you should ask them so you are clear on what will happen.

bsh117

Postby bsh117 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:01 pm

Thanks for the warehouse transfer question. I'll make sure I ask the question when I call the companies back. Both companies that I spoke to mentioned that the same driver will be there during the loading and unloading of the truck. Both also mentioned that the other people helping the driver will not be the same.
Thanks!
Brian

bsh117

Postby bsh117 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:19 pm

Hi All!

Three companies have come by to perform an in home estimate an here is the summary.

Matthew Moving (Allied) from Clarksburg, MD
7,574 lbs
$4,452.24 Guaranteed Price including $250 Full Value ($40,000) deductible and $33.20 per cwt if the shipment weighs less.
Delivery time 4-11 days.

JK Moving and Storage from Gaithersburg, MD
8000 lbs
$3,818.83 estimated price including $250 Full Value ($40,000) deductible. Celia stated that this is only an estimate and that the price that we will be charged will be per the exact weight of our shipment. She stated that means that it may be more if it weighs over the estimate or less if it is less than the estimated weight. She could not provide me an actual amount per pound over so I raised my concern about being overcharged at the end. She then wrote on the estimate that the price will be capped at 10% and explained that I could not be charged over $4200.71 for my move.
Delivery time 2-8 days.

Moyer & Sons from Clarksburg, MD
7000 lbs
$5,265.17 firm, fixed cost including $250 Full Value ($40,000) deductible. Jason explained to me that this would be the cost no matter if the actual weight was greater or lesser than the estimated.
Delivery time 2-3 days.

I disliked that JK Moving and Storage could not give me a guaranteed not to exceed quote. Celia was also not able to give me a set cost per lb that I would be charged if my actual shipment was more than the estimated. So, I have ruled them out.

Now, it's between Allied and Moyer. I lean towards Moyer only because Jason gave me the impression that our load would be the only load on the truck. Of course, I will need to verify this with him. I assume that's why they are more expensive and that's why the delivery time window is much shorter than the other two.

I would welcome any one elses opinion.
Thanks!
Brian

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:09 pm

Moyer's must be using a smaller truck. The one I saw at my neighbor's recently was a 23-footer. Allied would probably be sharing a 53 foot trailer with a few loads.

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:28 pm

I think we are going with Moyer and Sons.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:32 pm

I think that's a good choice. The short delivery spread is a sign that the driver who picks up the shipment will be the one who delivers it, which may not have been the case with the others.

I also agree with what you posted here:
Brian wrote:I disliked that JK Moving and Storage could not give me a guaranteed not to exceed quote. Celia was also not able to give me a set cost per lb that I would be charged if my actual shipment was more than the estimated. So, I have ruled them out. . . . She could not provide me an actual amount per pound over so I raised my concern about being overcharged at the end. She then wrote on the estimate that the price will be capped at 10% and explained that I could not be charged over $4200.71 for my move.

I believe that what JK gave you may actually have been a Nonbinding estimate. On such estimates, a customer can't be asked to produce more than 10% over the estimated price ON DELIVERY DAY, but that doesn't mean that he/she can't be billed for more than that after 30 days. It remains to be seen whether JK can perform as well on long-distance moves as it can perform on local moves, where it shines.

Please be SURE to come back and report on your move, because many, many people ask about moves in this East Coast route.

ECM

Postby ECM » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:35 pm

I dont no what makes you guys think jk is a local company cause they are not. I see them in F.l. all the time. INHO Ya bit off your nose to spite your face. And dismissed your best choice, because the office honestly answered. They could not tell this far into the future which local company would be used. As a source of labor to unload during the middle of the busy season.

Return to “Open Community”