local Chicago movers - good experience!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lindsey_own

local Chicago movers - good experience!

Postby lindsey_own » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:41 pm

Hi all - I just joined the forum, but wanted to give a quick review of some local Chicag-area movers we used a few years ago (2002).

The man-in-charge was Jim Fitton, and at the time it was called Fitton Movers. (Now, Jim owns Dels Movers.) We were doing a one-day move from a second-floor walk-up to a third-floor walk-up about 2 miles away, and we had A LOT of stuff. We had estimated that we'd need two loaders and about two hours, and when poor Jim entered our apartment on moving day, he looked a bit panicked. It ended up taking three loaders (luckily, another guy had come along for moves planned later in the day) and about 4 hours to load... and these guys were sweating! One of the guys was the HUGE college-jock-type who would tie a rope vertically around 5 stacked boxes of books (heavy!!!), swing the rope over his shoulder Santa-Claus-style, and haul all five boxes down the stairs. I'm telling you... it was amazing. They ended up spending almost the entire day with us and had to call in another set of movers to do their other moves for that day. With the enormous tip we gave them, it ended up costing $800.

Reading this board now, they had a lot of "scammer red-flags"... their truck wasn't labeled, I honestly don't remember ever signing a contract (and I'm a fine-print-reader), we didn't have an in-house estimate, etc etc. Maybe there are different expectations for local movers... But whatever the case, these guys were phenomenal and worked their tails off.

We're going to be moving from Chicago to Seattle in the next couple of months, and I'm starting to work with Jim on hiring him to load our you-pack-we-move truck.

Dels Movers info here: http://www.delsmovers.com/

- Lindsey

Kenny365

Re: local Chicago movers - good experience!

Postby Kenny365 » Wed May 18, 2005 2:42 pm

Well I'am going with Dels Movers Sunday so I will comment how it goes afterwards.

Thanks,

Ken

travisp

Postby travisp » Mon May 23, 2005 9:30 am

Kenny,

Any news yet? I'm quite curious about these people.

Travis

lindsey_own

Postby lindsey_own » Tue May 24, 2005 11:15 am

Hi Kenny - Like Travis, I eagerly await your review. I'd definitely like to know whether these guys are as good as they were a few years ago.

- Lindsey

Kenny365

Postby Kenny365 » Tue May 24, 2005 3:55 pm

Heya,

Sorry a few days late, just got high speed back and of course things have been pretty hectic. :)

I have to say I was very very happy with Del's Movers. I had a one bedroom apartment in Schaumburg to move into my new townhome at Lake in the Hills and things could not have gone smoother. Everything was moved in and out in a timely manner. There were three movers all of which were very friendly. I had used a DIFFERENT local mover in the past which I pretty much got screwed on so I was a bit wary I have to say.
I didn't have to worry about anything though with Del's, they took care of my baby (the big screen tv) and my sectional both of which just barely fit getting into the basement but they got them down there with no damage as well as no scrapes on the walls even which I was very surprised at due to the space constraints.
Like Lindsey had mentioned I also didn't have an in-house estimate and didn't sign a contract or anything prior too but as I said things went great. They have two offices I guess as well, the main is out of Arlington Heights and the other is on the south side of Chicago. The guys I had came from the south side. When I called I got the answering service and left a message with them and Jim gave me a call back right away I gave him my information and he got back to me again shortly with an estimate.

Gotta run, issues at work, but to sum things up I will definately be using them again whenever I move again though hopefully that will not be anytime soon!

Ken

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 24, 2005 10:20 pm

According to the IL Commerce Commission, Dels did 163 intrastate moves in 2003 (the latest year available) and had only 1 complaint . . . for damage to property. It is listed as "unresolved."

travisp

Postby travisp » Wed May 25, 2005 5:20 pm

Hi,

So the reviews sound good to me, but I wonder about moving without an in-house estimate or contract. While it seems that they are honest, it could also potentially create problems. Are there any thoughts about this?

Travis

Postby Guest » Thu May 26, 2005 8:21 pm

It's entirely possible they would give you an in house estimate if you asked for it. I was under crunch time unfortunately between moving and work and did not have the time with the short duration I talked to them prior to moving (week before).

I would give them a call and ask if nothing else it can't hurt.

Ken

Return to “Open Community”