las vegas to michigan

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

las vegas to michigan

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:43 pm

Im moving from Las Vegas, NV to upper Michigan. I have eliminated every company that I have looked into so far. Are there any recomendations for good moving company out here?

Diane

Re: las vegas to michigan

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:45 pm

How much stuff do you have (number of pounds or number of rooms) and what is your budget?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:48 pm

2000 lbs with about $2000

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:56 pm

You have about 5 linear feet in an ABF or Broadway Express trailer. I just went on the BE website at http://www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html and got a price of $1668 (they have a 10 foot minimum).

Although ABF would almost certainly be cheaper, BE gives you important amenities such as an air-ride trailer, moving blankets, dollies, a ramp, and the opportunity to hire the driver to help you load for a small hourly fee. If I were you I would go with BE. Even allowing for about $250 to pay the driver and helpers such as workers from LaborReady at www.laborready.com to load and unload, you are still looking at well under $2000 and you will get a fast move delivered by the same driver that loads your goods. Please look at the 83 reviews of BE on the sticky at the top of the messageboard and call BE if you want to get a quote from them.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:23 am

i think BE should BE great for me. thanks for the advise

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:18 pm

What zip codes are you moving to (MI) and from (NV).
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:35 pm

89129 for NV and 49686 for MI

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:25 pm

Be for I go through BE I think Im going to try and find a company that will actually load the truck without my help. Capitol North American out of las vegas seems good with the BBB. www.capitolnorthamerican.com Any bad news about them?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:41 pm

As I think about it now, you're right. It would be a good idea to get a quote from an agent of a major van line like Capitol North American because their prices might actually be similar to BE's, at least now in the "off" season. At first glance the company looks OK. Possibly BE even knows something about them, since both companies move trade show equipment. Hopefully someone who knows Las Vegas companies will come on here to give more information. The only downside is that since your load is small, it might take it longer to be delivered than it would with BE while they try to book enough loads to fill the trailer.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:01 pm

Diane,

With majors its not like the goods sit there until the driver gets booked up. But it allows the driver more time to pick and drop other shipments up along the way. If the driver has nothing then he has nothing and your goods get there sooner. If the driver has other shipments to drop off or pick up along the way, then the goods get delivered later, as the norm. But in now way do trucks sit and wait for the driver to fill up.

And guest, for 2000 pounds 60% discount, no packing, and basic valuation your looking at $1736.40.

So make sure if thats the weight they estimate they are coming in around that number or better depending on the discount.

Best of luck,
Michael

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:54 pm

I just got a quote from Corrigan Moving Systems. http://www.corriganmoving.com/ The guy who came out estimated that I had 3400lbs. There is no way I have that much. 2000lbs would be a strech on how much I have. I have a 700 sq ft apartment. Im not shipping any appliances or heavy things like books. The 3400 lbs would be at a guaranteed not to excede rate. They did say if it was less weight I would pay less. Anyway the price for 3400lbs would be $2635.23 and thats with insurance up to $20,000
The price for 2100 lbs would be $1849.55 thats with insurance for $15,000.00. Both prices are having them load/unload the trucks.

Im having another estimator from Capitol North American comming out Friday morning.

I also have until monday the 28th to tell BE if I want to use them or not. Thats only because I want to be moved out April the 4th. BE is is only about $1900 and thats with me paying the driver. The guy at BE im talking to said he could make sure that I would have a driver that would help load/unload. That $1900 is without additional insurance.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:21 pm

Hi - it sounds as if you have several good alternatives. Corrigan has a good reputation. If you can hire a full-service mover for about the same price as BE, it will be much less hassle for you. I think you may actually have more than 2000 pounds because we moved from an apartment of about 600 square feet and we had around 2200 pounds. If you go on the BE or ABF websites and use their space calculators you may be able to narrow it down. (One cubic foot = 7 pounds according to the standard formula used by movers.)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:34 pm

I got an estimate today from North American Van Lines Inc. and the guy gave me the guaranted price of 2,568.61. If the weight was less than his 3999 lbs estimate I did not get any money back. That price is with regular insurance. I ended up going with Corrigan, part of United Van Lines. In that deal it cost $2694.97 with 20,000 worth of insurance. If it weighs less, which I think it will, I will pay less. This company will let me watch the truck get weighed and then come to my place. The truck loads up and I get to follow the truck back to scales and see how much weight I really have. I have been weighing some things in my apartment and I only have about 400 lbs so far. Im probley about 1/4 done so far. Im currently unemployed so I have nothing better to do. Also Corrigan gave me a smaller Expected time of arrival from the load date.

I will post again to tell you fine people how the whole move went.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:32 pm

Guest,

Just to make sure I understand correctly when you say Corrigan gave me a quote? Corrigan is in Michigan, so did they send another agent out to do a survey for them? I just want to make sure thats what your saying.

Thanks,
Michael

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Corrigan sent an estimator from Puliz to do the estimate.

Return to “Open Community”