Do-It-Yourself Truck Rental Hazards

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
plumloopy

Do-It-Yourself Truck Rental Hazards

Postby plumloopy » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:03 am

After advice from this site, we rented a truck ourselved for our move from Chicago to Los Angeles. While we didn't have to deal with our belongings hijacked or rates balooning, there were some issues.

Since we moved during a heavy season, it was obvious that our BUDGET truck was given minimal inspection. By the cab markings, you could see that it had missed it's previous scheduled maintenance and we would even exceed the next on our journey. The brights didn't work. There was no cab light. The tire pressure was significantly low on our car tow dolly and the cab of the truck had not been cleaned. There was spilled soda, chips, etc..

Our move when without a hitch, although we did have to hande the tire pressure issues ourselves. After arriving, we complained to Budget and were immediately offered 10% back. My advice, DON'T ACCEPT THIS (unless you feel it's fair). Eventually, after speaking to supervisor, we recieved 20% back.

I'm not suggesting that you complain when it's not warrented, but I do suggest that you demand reperation when it's due.

Di2Wolf

Re: Do-It-Yourself Truck Rental Hazards

Postby Di2Wolf » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:02 pm

Let me tell you the other scam Budget has going. One they just pulled on us. We reserved a truck a 24' truck because I have a china cabinet that belonged to my Great Grandmother and it is 6'9" tall to move it into the truck and then set it down it needs a 2" to 3" - otherwise we would have rented a smaller truck. I called 3 times to make sure there would be NO problem with our reservations and getting a truck. One of those calls was made to the 1-800 reservation center and 2 to the actual branch where we would be picking up the truck. When we got there to pick up the truck they didn't have any 24' trucks only a 15'. We had no choice we took that truck at a lesser price....but it left me with a major problem....my china cabinet. So we had to hire someone to move it for us.
Oh believe me when I tell you I called and told them all what I thought of them and even called and talked to a "supervisor" at the 1-800. They told me (branch manager too) that "Budget guarentees the rate of the truck you reserve NOT the size of the truck"! They say that they have that in writing on their site and so far I haven't found it.
So do yourselves a favor and by bass Budget.
I've used U-haul and Penske and even Ryder before and had no problems. But these companies were either more expensive for a weekend move or they catered to the one-way movers and we were moving in town.
I'm in the process now of finding Budget Corp. address to send a letter and I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and if there is someone else I can write to I will! They have budget on alot of the military bases....they should ban them from the base!

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:40 pm

Fortunately DI you werent scammed, your goods were not held hostage and you were not overcharged thousands of dollars.

Your issue is a common problem with the companies you mentioned, not just Budget. And no I do not work for Budget or have any stock in Budget. A simple fact could have been the 24' truck you were suppose to get wasnt returned in time as they thought it would be, or the 24' truck they thought would be ariving from out of state was late or delayed.

Does that help you solve your problem, NO. But count yourself lucky to have not experienced what the "SCAM" truely is.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:58 pm

Well said Michael.

Tim

Return to “Report A Scam”