Wright Way Packing & Shipping, San Diego?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nearly_blind

Wright Way Packing & Shipping, San Diego?

Postby nearly_blind » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:32 pm

Anyone have any feedback for this company
for small moves.

They claim $1 pound with low minimums for self
service shipping. They collect boxes, place on pallet,
ship, and deliver pallet to destination (e.g. in driveway).

I have < 1000lbs for San Diego to Boston Move and they
quoted $1000.

Note AFB is not an option because I have no place to
leave the trailer in my condo complex, and the BroadwayExpress
minimum is > $2K for a minimum of 10 linear trailer feet.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Wright Way Packing & Shipping, San Diego?

Postby twalker » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:47 pm

Hi nearly_blind,

Do you happen to have a DOT or MC license number for them? They should be able to give this to you. I'm pretty skeptical (to say the least) about any move from San Diego to Boston for $1000.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

nearly_blind

Postby nearly_blind » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:40 pm

Thanks Tim & Diane,

Wright Way claims they don't need a DOT/MC # because
they don't do the shipping. They just pack it on a pallet
and use a third party to ship.

They've been in business 11 years and are a member of
the San Deigo BBB (have 2 resolved complaints in the last year).
Not sure if BBB membership means anything though.

It did make me nervous that their quote is so low (0.40 a pound
cheaper than NAVIS), but after
I looked at FEDEX and saw that I can ship individual boxes
for only $.70 pound using a retail non-business rate
(but I have to carry, label, and drive all the boxes to a fedex loc),
it seems that a company like Wright Way can still make
a decent profit even with such a low quote.

If everything is packed in boxes they quoted .90 / pound
plus $75 for inside pickup & pallet packing
with a 500 lb minimum (san diego-Boston).
Delivery includes just leaving the pallets in the driveway.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:34 pm

I think these pack-and-ship companies like ShipSmart, Navis SmallMoves, and Above and Beyond Cargo (see below) quote things in different ways and you have to be careful that they have quoted for all the services you want. The quoted price per pound may not tell the whole story. Here, for example, is a quote received from Above and Beyond Cargo in NYC and posted today by "shazizzle" on another thread:

Packing: $450.00
Trucking: $.80 cents/per pound or cubic weight (whichever is greater)
Pick Up: $275.00 . . .
Services Included: On-site boxing and crating of all household items described including furniture. Palletization and shrink-wrapping of shipment prior to loading. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3871

She ALSO has about 1000 pounds. I asked her to find out, first, what is meant by "cubic weight" and second, what they were going to charge her for de-palletization (if that's a word), de-shrinkwrapping, and delivery. Above and Beyond Cargo doesn't have a freight forwarder's license either, or any authority to perform moves.

I think we on this website need to decide what we think about these packaging companies because so many customers have small shipments like this. A higher-up at Dahill Mayflower in NYC told me that he has been recommending Above and Beyond Cargo for 10 years to people whose shipments were below the Mayflower minimum weight and he has had no complaints.

I really don't know what to say about this. How do you know how much weight the packaging might add? It seems as if there could be a potential for abuse. Also, I'm afraid that when everything is added up you might find that you're paying almost as much as you would pay to a full-service mover for a minimum load. I noticed that neither company totalled up the cost--the customer has to do that.

It might be that someone will just have to act as a guinea pig to see what happens. With ShipSmart, I think I recall that one genuine customer was pleased (I am disregarding the various bogus posts in praise of it) and one said that it was NOT good and there was a huge delivery delay.

I did look at Wright Way's BBB report and it was as you say. But it doesn't have a website and I guess that makes me somewhat less confident about it than I am about Navis or ShipSmart.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:17 am

I've been referring people to Wrightway for about 5 years and haven't been bitten yet. Be sure you are clear on pickup and delivery, access charges, curbside or inside delivery, etc.I think you'll be ok though.

nearly_blind

Wright Way Packing & Shipping, San Diego-Results

Postby nearly_blind » Mon May 02, 2005 9:34 am

I ended up using WrightWay
for my San Diego - Boston move and was VERY happy
with their service.
Everything arrived nicely packed on 2 pallets (dropped
in my driveway) undamaged in 9 days.

It actually cost LESS then I expected. I had thought they
charged for the shipping weight of the wooden pallets
they use (40lbs each), but they didn't.

They picked 33 boxes plus a bike (which they
packed in a large box for us in their warehouse before
shipping at no extra charge) in about 20 minutes, and
they showed up exactly at the time they arranged.

What was also nice was that when the supervisor saw that
we had weighed all the boxes ourselves (on a bathroom scale)
he just verified our measurement on one random box and then used
our weight total for their final charge computation. Payment was
by credit card on pick-up.

The total was $794 for 721 pounds.
0.90 / lb + {$100 for pickup/packing} + { $45 for $1500 of loss insur.}.

On the other hand,
I used DAS for my car, no expedite, terminal-terminal, it's
been 13 days and the web-tracker still says it's at the origin terminal :( .
I'll update when it arrives.

Thanks for taking the time/effort to create and maintain this site,
you've definitely helped me and countless others!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 02, 2005 9:42 am

Thank YOU. You have helped us by being that guinea pig we were looking for! :lol:

I wonder what size furniture they can handle, since you had only boxes and a bike. Many people have less than 1000 pounds, like you, but that poundage includes a desk or a bed or a bureau. I also wonder whether Wright Way is nationwide, or only in San Diego. Maybe someone will come on and tell us.

Did they come and pick up the pallets?

nearly_blind

Postby nearly_blind » Mon May 02, 2005 10:28 am

Diane,

Seems like a local San Diego company. They don't even
have a website. I'm not sure if they ship large furniture
(like a sofa) but I know they ship anything that will
fit on a plallet ( 4' x 4 x 5). I had planned on shipping
a small wooden dinette table that I used as a desk
(they said that packing this was included in the $100 fee)
but I ended up selling it before I moved.

They took the boxes away and palletized everything
at their site onto 2 pallets. The pallets were delivered
by Road Way Express (Worcester, MA).

After delivery we were left with 2 pallets (that I have
to get rid of myself). Given that it took an hour or so to
unpack the boxes and carry them inside asking them
to take the pallets back with them was not an option.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Fri May 06, 2005 12:50 am

Glad to hear things went ok. They do pretty good work as I mentioned earlier. They are a local company. They'll ship anything you want but at a certain point their excessive packaging costs(necessary because it goes motor freight) outweigh the savings of a lower cost per pound and a lower minimum wt charge as well when you compare them to a van line. Usually if a person only has 1 or 2 pcs of furniture these types of companies will be the way to go. I wouldn't lose any sleep about whether they palletize on site or at their shop as long as there is an itemized inventory. I think that once a shipment starts closing in on 1000 pounds it maymake sense to start checking van line prices. JMHO

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 06, 2005 10:44 am

Good advice, Chris. Do you know whether they can handle items of furniture that are larger than 4 x 4 x 5 feet, such as a sofa or a mattress and box spring? The reason I ask is, a lot of people write in who want to move such items.

Also, do you have any experience with other services like this such as Ship Smart or Navis Small Moves, since Wright Way is apparently only local in San Diego?

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Fri May 06, 2005 8:46 pm

I think they'll ship anything they can get on a pallet or in a box or crate. The only other company I've referred people to is another local called the Packaging Store. But I've sent people to Wright way exclusively for a long time. No experience with the others as I seldom deal with inbound small shipments and Wrightway has been good. I think I mentioned I've got an extremely large move going to Seattle next week where a company called Craters and Freighters is playing a major role in the high end art. I'll let you guys know after it delivers how it went but again they are most likely a local firm.

Kara

Postby Kara » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:17 pm

Great site. I am using Moovers Inc for a move from the SF Bay Area to Iowa based on what I found here.

We have a large sectional leather sofa at my aunt's in San Diego and want to get it to Iowa too. I don't know the weight, but dimensions are about 90x40 inches each for 2 pieces.

Moovers Inc is not able to stop for the sofa. Can anyone recommend companies to use for this and how much we should expect to pay? I tried calling Yellow Freight but they won't package or load.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:22 pm

Kara, please be sure to post about Moovers so we can keep our reviews current. Thanks in advance!

Moving a small shipment like yours is a knotty problem. I would say if anyone could do it, Wright Way probably could. It will likely be expensive.

Kaitlain

Postby Kaitlain » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:02 pm

I just got scammed bigtime by Wright Way. Since they still have my stuff here on a truck I have to move on seeing what can be done via the Sheriff, etc. They are proving to be one of the most dishonest outfits I've ever dealt with, and, as I tend to be honest and take people at their word (even after living in San Diego and being repeatedly scammed), and am a very small female, I've been taken more than I'd like to think about. They pulled every classic scam maneuver, and because I had initially trusted them and they pushed me against the wall time-wise, I was too stressed not to allow them to load. (My leased apartment days, which were extended due to them, were up Friday. They didn't show up Monday, Tuesday. or Wednesday, and when I would call "Gloria" would say they would be there "later" or "tomorrow". When I called on Thursday am to say I was making other arrangements, Ron said he would be there in 15 minutes--I wasn't even dressed at that point. They had not given me a copy of the estimate--2850 based on an on-site review. (I removed over 400 lbs. of books and Cds and got rid of some furniture after the estimate, hoping to lower costs.) I called several times and was told Ron would take care of it when he came out. He still would not give me a copy, jumped it to $4209 and said it wouldn't include my sofa, loveseat, kitchen items, etc., after they started loading the truck. He even refused to let me read something he told me to initial, saying "Our moves usually take an hour. You've gone over that and are wasting my time. INITIAL THIS." I had asked about additional insurance coverage, as the $.60/lb. by law is ridiculous. He said it wasn't available. When I was able to get my glasses on to read the thing, it said I refused additional insurance and that I was waiving the right to anything above $.10/lb. (There is a new LCD HDTV loaded that only weighs 50 lbs. boxed. If they damage it I'll entitled to $5.00 back on over $1000 purchase....)

If I hadn't been so sick that day I would never have let them in my place. Now I have almost all my possessions at risk with major scam artists and an insurance value of $420.00. Did I mention they are closed Fridays, Saturday, and Sundays? They didn't even answer the phone when I left a message that the check I wrote could bounce, as it exceeded what I had left in my account to cover the move.

After reading through the posts here that referred to them, I now understand why Ron Wright tried to get me not to bring my sofa and loveseat. I'll post in more detail later tonight.

I've both cried and thrown up over this (had a serious migraine by the time they actually arrived) and am particularly upset that I allowed myself to be taken this way. Now that I've had some sleep and am functional I'm going to try to recoup whatever is possible.

I did call the CSMA and was given some helpful suggestions. I was driving at the time so I need to call them back on Monday to see where to go from here. The Sheriff was one. Any help posters can offer will be much appreciated. I left a message that I would be happy to pay for the time they spent loading the truck (which was under two hours) and driving it and returning it here, as I cannot afford the $4209. I plan to just donate some of my furniture and ship DHL as much as possible or see if there was another more reputable company (Atlas Allied in Poway and ACE seemed trustworthy) able to do the move. Some friends offered to drive a truck for me at a reasonable amount. (They offered as a favor but do need money so were easily persuaded that I wouldn't accept it without paying for it.)

Once again, thanks for any suggestions. (The move is out-of-state from San Diego, 1100 miles to Salem, Oregon.)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:57 pm

I'm anxious to hear what has happened with this move. Did Wrightway return the items to your house? Did you end up getting things to Salem okay? I feel pretty bad about this as I gave them a "thumbs up" in prior posts. This is the first time I've heard of a problem with these guys and I'd like to hear what the resolution was. :shock: :shock:

Return to “Open Community”