Andrews Moving, United Affiliate, Job EXTREMELY WELL Done

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nohup

Andrews Moving, United Affiliate, Job EXTREMELY WELL Done

Postby nohup » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:33 pm

You can find my other posts to learn what led me to United for my move. I am happy to report an extremely pleasant experience with Paul Spalley (I believe that was his last name, left the papers at the new house tonight, will update tomorrow if I am wrong) and his team. Paul and two of his friends actually do the pickup and delivery. They go coast to coast with each other so that they dont have to worry about what kind of help they are getting at either end of the deal. These guys were a great bunch with an ENORMOUS level of customer service. From protecting our floors and doors to listening to my son go on and on about his bunk beds, this crew was on top of it all. If you need a mover and want a great group of guys I give them my mark of approval. It is nice to see that there are still people out there that care about service! :)
Last edited by nohup on Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doh! Aldo got me :(

Diane

Re: Andrews Van Lines, United Affiliate, Job EXTREMELY WELL

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:47 pm

Mike,

Can you clarify some things? I think you said originally that you were moving from AZ to VA with S & M Van Lines. Did you change to Andrews Van Lines? What is the contact information for the company you went with?

Also, are you saying that a company driver for Andrews routinely goes cross-country with two helpers? That would be very unusual and good news for consumers, if true. Or does Paul actually work for another United Van Lines agent rather than for Andrews?

Thanks.

nohup

Postby nohup » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:47 pm

Sorry to necro this post, I was following my own advice to another poster and lookin up this entry and saw Diane's questions...

I did originally book through S&M van lines, and it was very late in my move process. Not sure what they went through, but I know their representative took my call at quitting time and was there for quite some time after that trying to find a truck to get me on. This must have been where Andrews came into play. I am assuming that they found an affiliate that had a truck passing through and could fit my goods in it. At that point I wasn't worried about the details, but can call and find out if you like :)

And yes, Paul works for Andrews (was painted on his truck, and verified that Paul was the owner of the truck) and goes cross country with the same two guys. In speaking with him he said that too many times he had gotten screwed over by hiring helpers that either a) didn't show or b) took items of the homeowners. He said the guys that now travel with him were actually long-time friends of his and that he brought them on to have someone he trusted with him. If you ever get to see these three work together it is apparent that they are good friends and are quality movers.

Funny story... I got a bill from united for $9.76 after everything was said and done. Looks like the quote I had gotten on the phone was given to me with a couple of numbers transposed (that or I wrote it down wrong, highly possible). I called the main United number to pay by credit card and the operator who came on to help me got a bit on edge when I said I "wanted to discuss an invoice". I guess they get so many calls in a day from people that are upset about the cost of their move that their response is predetermined heh. After I let her go on about how to read the estimate and what not for a few moments I explained to her that I was just looking to pay the bill lol. She got a bit cheerier after that. Then at the end of the call I asked if there was anything more I could do to get my driver/crew recognized for the job they had done, she was floored. She said that no one, NO ONE, calls in to say thank you and that I had just made her year.

So, if you have a good experience, let people KNOW!!! Too many times we pick up the phone to grouse rather than praise. Ok, I am stepping off my soap box now ;)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:38 pm

Funny story about the undercharge. That has to be a first.

I'm still somewhat confused because I can't find any connection between United Van Lines and Andrews Van Lines, if it's the company headquartered in Nebraska with website www.andrewsvanlines.com. Its trucks are red. I just want to be sure that I have the correct contact information for Andrews to give credit where credit is due and to allow other people to contact it. A driver crossing the country with not just one but two helpers is quite unusual, I believe, and a very good thing.

I'm wondering whether it's possible that Andrews is NOT an United agent but was just brought in by S & M as the hauler when they couldn't cover the load. Can any of the moverpros enlighten me on this?

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:33 am

Andrews Moving & Storage is a United agent in Ohio. Send a letter to United Van Lines head office in Fenton MO. These letters are published in the van line news magazine for all the agents and drivers to see. This way he gets recogntion by his peers. As a UVL agent, sometimes we are able to request these drivers to service our moves, but of course Andrews has first call.

nohup

Re: Andrews Moving, United Affiliate, Job EXTREMELY WELL Don

Postby nohup » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:42 am

thanks for the info Fred, sorry for the confusion in the title Diane, I have updated it to reflect Andrews Moving (it didn't have room for the storage part heh)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:15 am

Thanks for the clarification. Based on prior discussion here, I would assume that Paul Spalley is a 1 or 2 rated driver with United and that the average Joe not moving on a commercial account wouldn't be able to request a driver like this, but might get lucky - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4562 (Does anyone know whether UniGroup uses a 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 rating system?)

Anyway, it would be really nice if you could write a brief note about him and his helpers, "nohup."

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:30 pm

All UVL drivers are tops :lol: Actually anyone can request a driver. Getting a particular driver depends on where he is or loading for. I have had requests from COD moves for some of my drivers and been able to position him to service the shipment.

Movinghelper

Re: Andrews Moving, United Affiliate, Job EXTREMELY WELL Done

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Diane:
Reading this old post I wanted to comment on the help. There are quite a few drivers (especially in the busy season) that bring their own help. We have two who drive with their own help. I had one driver pick a load up and his help and him have been together for 27 years. I watched them all day and it was like clockwork. Funny thing was one did not tell the other what to do.
The help brought everything outside and had it categorized by size and all the driver did was call for size of items.

Like I said Clockwork.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Return to “Open Community”