a good move???

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
pep

a good move???

Postby pep » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:33 pm

I have contacted a local mover. Been in business 12 yrs. They have there own trucks (4) and men(9). The trucks are 26'. They will pack, load, drive and unload. Their estimate seems low. What should I be wary of? The Name is Alexander Moving Co. in Mentor, Ohio. They estimate a full truck going 560 miles at $2300.

west

Re: a good move???

Postby west » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:51 pm

How many estimates have you received so far? If so, you can compare the estimates with one another. Plus, call the D.O.T. to find out if the company’s license is active. Here is the number - 202-366-2970. When you call that number ask them if the company's license is active.
I can sympathesize with you right now because I am also in the processes of finding a mover myself. Many movers told me point blank that they have all their licenses in check, but later to find out they didn't. The last advice that I can give you is to read the "scam article" and keep reading what people write in the message board. Good luck! :)

Josh

Postby Josh » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:41 pm

Pep,

Finally someone in my neck of the woods. I was thinkin for a bit that people in the northeast didn't know how to use a computer.

I have seen their trucks around, and yes, all I have seen are their straight trucks. Do you have their DOT#?

Drive by their facility and look at their warehouse and equipment. I never have, but this will tell you a little about them. I am also not sure if they have interstate authority.

What weight did they estimate? If it all doesn't fit, what are they going to do? Normally 10,000# will fit on a truck that size.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:21 pm

Pep,

One thing to keep in mind with these small companies, is that if another shipment comes along, and its bigger then yours, guess who isnt getting moved that day. You got it it, you!

So do your checks, make sure they dont require a deposit. And 4 trucks, nine men. If there day is full for the day you load, are you telling me then only 2 and a quarter men will be there to load your shipment?

Good luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

pep

Postby pep » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:01 am

their #'s are:
puco#1138-hg
icc #mc 281584

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:49 am

pep,

A small moving company can be very capable of giving you a perfectly acceptable moving experience, so don't let the "use the big boys" lecture get to you. I used a small moving company in 1998 to move from PA to VA and they did it right. You should however definitely be getting quotes from more than one company (at least three actually) and you may want to use one of the majors to round out your list.

As far as Alexander Moving Company goes, they do seem like someone that I would feel comfortable getting an estimate from and evaluating them against other companies. They have been in business since 1991, have the required licenses and insurance, and have a clean inspection record. If you haven't done so, you should stop into their business location and check out their facilities. Make sure that they are running a professional operation, that their company name and license information is painted on their trucks, etc. I'm wondering though... when you say that their estimate is low, who are you comparing that to?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:36 pm

Sorry Pep,

I wasnt referring to just local moving companies. There are plenty of companies out there that represent major carriers that aren't any bigger then the one you mentioned. So I wasnt making analogy between local and major.

Like Tim said, there are plenty of small, local companies that provide a great service.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:59 am

i would like to go with the local Alexander moving ($2600) but I still have a few questions.
1. they gave me the rghts and responsibilities under Ohios Rules.
2. is it legal for them to move interstate? How do I find out?
3. They estimated up to9000# that is one truck limit. Which is ok since I can leave stuff here if it doesn't fit.
4 They want a 10% deposit. Is this okay? I've read that no deposit should be required.

Other estimate is from United- Carney-McNicholas DOT#77949($3900) based on 11500# rounded to 12000#. He put in all my questionable items thus the difference in #'s.
However he said he would probably use a 26' truck also, but he said his limit is 11000#.

I know I am making this confusing by not taking everything and being at the limit of a 26' truck but I know the stuff I leave isn't worth $1300. And I have a pickup, and could make a trip myself when the house sells(but who knows when that will be.) I hate making decisions, UGH

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:36 am

Guest,

I just spoke with Joni who is the owner of Alexander M&S. She said they have been in business for 13 years and they do have interstae authority.

Here is the explanation I got for them requiring a deposit:

Joni Alexander has only 3 or 4 crews. She runs a small business and cannot afford to send men out to do a move that is booked and have a cancellation on moving day. On interstate moves, she collects a 10% deposit and on local moves she collects a 1hr deposit.

She is actually the sister-in-law of our commercial sales rep. in my office. I would feel comfortable using this company.

She aslo stated that they might be able to get up to 9500# on their truck!

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:01 pm

First of all, depending on how bulky your shipment is depends on if they can fit it all on a strait van--26' can hold up to 12,000 pounds if it isnt bulky---a local move should be roughly $100-$125 per hour for 3 men. You will pay based on the ACTUAL time involved. Figure roughly an hour to load 2000 pounds (3 men) and a little less than that to unload. I am the sales rep for a northAmerican agent & we DO NOT require any downpayments. Unless cash flow is low than they shouldnt need a down payment--unless they are leary of you canceling your move at the last minute . Also, that price is EXTREMELY low for a full pack & to go over 500 miles--at least for the weight you have. I too would be leary of a low price---you know what they say, you get what you pay for! Get a major mover to give you an estimate--northAmerican, Allied, United etc..

Good luck!

Sherry, Bangor, Maine

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:42 pm

Sherry in ME,

I think you are confusing this with another thread. This is an interstate move, not a local move. And he has gotten another estimate from a large mover.

Alexander Moving is a reputable company and part of the reason they are much cheaper is because their overhead is not nearly as much as a National companies are. Look at your headquarters and all of the office people there, who pays for that??? Our customers pay for it!

I also stated the reason they require a deposit.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:59 am

I see that--I first saw where he contacted a local mover so I thought he meant a local move---actually thats an extremely low price! It would make me nervous! I understand the overhead situation, but what about leaving so much on the table? Im not saying you cant get a good move for a low price but he should get two or three estimates.I didnt notice where he said he had other estimates? You are smart to be leary of a low price! To perform a full pack, load & deliver over 500 miles that is a very low price!

Postby guest » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:01 pm

This job is not a full pack. LOAD, TRANSPORT, UNLOAD.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:47 am

pack,load,drive & unload is what it says at on the original post---or am I not seeing correctly?!

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:45 pm

Sometimes customers confuse pack with load. Ex. How long will it take you to pack the truck?

I get it all the time!

Also, I told Joni from Alexander M&S about this site, maybe it was her posting as a guest. She would know what was quoted.

Josh

Return to “Open Community”