Moving from Northern VA to Olympia, WA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diana

Moving from Northern VA to Olympia, WA

Postby Diana » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:48 pm

This is a follow-up to my earlier posting. I have now had three estimators do an in home extimate. Relocations Systems for North American VAn Lines, Von Paris for United Van Lines and Paxton for Atlas Van Lines. Only Von Paris would give me a Guarantee Not to Exceed estimate. The Paxton representative is going to email me her quote. So far the Von Paris estimate appears to be realistic given the contents of my home and the discount quoted was higher than that quoted by North American. The weight differential for United and North American was 3,000 lbs, but the greater discount made United competitive even thoush the weight estimate was higher.

Do you have and suggestions of other things I should be concerned about. At the moment I am leaning towards Von Paris because of the GTNE estimate.

Thanks,
Diana

Diane

Re: Moving from Northern VA to Olympia, WA

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:53 pm

My advice would be to go with the GNTE. Odd that the other companies wouldn't give you one, unless there is storage involved.

Diana

Postby Diana » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:21 pm

Diane wrote:My advice would be to go with the GNTE. Odd that the other companies wouldn't give you one, unless there is storage involved.

One company indicated it was because of the time of year May-June, the other indicated the better drivers do not like to take loads that are designated GNTE. I didn't realise the discounts were so significant or that they could vary from carrier to carrier.

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:23 pm

When are you planning to move? The discount level may vary quite a bit between companies depending on when you are moving. What was the difference in the discount levels?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:51 pm

I plan to move sometime between the end of May and the middle of June. So far the discount rates have varried from 14,000 lbs with a %56 discount if I move before the middle of June, 13,000 lbs. with a discount of %62 not based on time of move and 17,000 lbs. with a %64 discount and no moving time restrictions. While the last estimate is higher it is also guaranteed not to excede a final quote of $12,171. Since I have many books and LP records which can really add up to a lot of hidden weight I am inclined to go with the guaranteed estimate because I would hate to have to pay an extra couple of thousand when it comes time to unload.

All of the estimators were very nice, I would really like to know what the experience has been of people using Von Paris and United Van Lines in general before making a final committment.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:04 pm

We have one report of a completed move with Von Paris, and the customer had a very good experience - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3098

The company has been around forever. United is the highest ranked major van line on Epinions.com.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:36 pm

FOr all this means, I grew up here and Von Paris has been in the same spotless industrial park for as long as I can remember. Their trucks are always clean. People who have had estiamtes have been impressed with them, even if they go with another company.

Send a PM to "dcnola" and see what comments she has.

Return to “Open Community”