Philly to Harrisburg--Cranston movers?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
air5k

Philly to Harrisburg--Cranston movers?

Postby air5k » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:54 pm

Hi, First of all, I am so thankful that I found this site. I was about ready to stop doing research, and my husband told me if I kept doing research he was going to call me obsessive-compulsive! But I kept going one more time on Google for Isaac's Relocation. One of their reps came to my house yesterday and I really liked him and the estimate was reasonable--$1900 for a 2BR apartment in Philly to a 3 BR house in Mechanicsburg (near Harrisburg). (That may sound high but understand we moved from a 3 BR house to this apartment so we have a lot of stuff crammed in here, plus half the basement of this house full of boxes. Also, narrow stairs, 2nd floor apartment, and small spiral stairs to 3rd floor bedroom.) Anyway, I appreciated the fact he came to my house and actually looked at my stuff because no one else did. I was all set to go with Isaac's when I found this site and realized I had done everything wrong--used the internet, getting quotes without personal visits, etc. I feel so grateful I found this site BEFORE we had a problem. Now, for all I know this Isaac's may be completely legit and do a great job, but they did respond to me through those moving websites you warn about.

Now I am back to square one. We are now considering Cranston Movers, a local, family-owned company here in Philly. We used them twice when we moved in, both times just to unload trucks, and we thought they did a great job. Two young guys came, one a family member of the business, and got everything in without a scratch, even a HUGE and very heavy tall antique corner cabinet. The reason I didn't consider them in the first place is we want partial packing and I didn't think they did that, although now I find that they do.

I would appreciate any information on Cranston Movers (http://www.cranstonmovers.com). I will also be sure to follow up with anything new I learn about them.

Diane

Re: Philly to Harrisburg--Cranston movers?

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:10 pm

Hi - although this is an intrastate move where people have more protection, it's probably safest to avoid Isaac's. I couldn't see anything immediately alarming about Cranston. Often there is a state movers' association that can give you more information about various movers. All I could find was this, for the state truckers' association, but possibly they could point you in the right direction.

Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association
James W. Runk
910 Linda Lane
Camp Hill, PA 17011-6409
Phone: (717) 761-7122
Fax: (717) 761-8434
jrunk@pmta.org

Tim Walker may have some contact information for a PA organization if you email him at tim at movingscam.com.

air5k

Postby air5k » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:14 pm

So, I called Cranston and talked to the boss's son. He quoted me $125 per hour for three men and a truck, $20 higher than the website. The boss called me back and quoted the $105 listed on the site. They charge $25 for an estimate. We are going to go ahead and do this, as it is not a lot of money, but I will ask them to apply the $25 to our moving charges if we go with them. They also charge by the box for packing, not for time. How fair is this? Does it benefit them or me? (I assume them, but how much?) I was also recommended Bekins and North American. My inclination is to go with local companies instead. I just don't know how to choose 2 more to get estimates from--we don't really know people here to ask about moving. In our neighborhood, I think most people move themselves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:38 pm

Hi - your question about charging by the box vs. the hour for packing came up recently on another thread and was answered as follows by a moving professional:

I was told by another estimator that if I was to have any packing done by them on the day of the loading, that I wouldn't be charged labor by the hour, rather it would be by the box. For example, if I asked them to pack my dishes and fragiles, it would be $25 per dish pack. Is that typical with most moving companies--a per box packing price?

moveman wrote:Almost all movers price their packing by the conatiner versus by the hour. Plus if you have a new or slow packer, by the hour can hurt. The price you gave for a dishpak is about right is not a little low.

Sounds like you are going to be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to check references and the PA movers' association if such exists, as I suggested above.

Return to “Open Community”