mover says have to do move over 2 days (only a 45 min drive)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kp

mover says have to do move over 2 days (only a 45 min drive)

Postby kp » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:28 pm

Hi! I had a company called Bohren's come to my house today to give an estimate. I was told to my surprise that we have too much stuff to do the move in one day. We are moving only 45 minutes away and live in a three bedroom cape and are moving to a three bedroom colonial. Is this normal? I am not comfortable at all with having my furniture sit in their truck overnight in their lot. I told the salesman exactly that. He suggested two smaller trucks to do the move. One truck loading and unloading one day and then coming back another day to do the second load. I thought I was so prepared for the estimator to come, but never imagined this to be a problem/possibility. We do not have that much stuff, I think at all. Two bedrooms are used as bedrooms now and the third is a family room with sofa and toys in it.

Just curious if anyone else has come across this. I know items add up once put in a truck and you always have more than you think, but this just doesn't seem necessary.

Thank you!

Fred0844

Re: mover says have to do move over 2 days (only a 45 min dr

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:33 am

Is there a problem with access for a trailer? There might be some logistical reason why he is using smaller trucks. Did you ask the estimator why he was going this route? Bohren's is a fairly big company.

kp

Postby kp » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:40 am

We discussed the driveway at the new house being a gravel driveway and approx. 150'. I had already expressed my great disappointment that we had to move over two days, so he suggested two smaller trucks so my itmes wouldn't be left on their truck overnight in their lot.

Even if we did need two smaller trucks to do the move, I have to check with him why we can't use both on one day.

I am just really concerned our items having to be moved over a two day period. Doesn't seem like that should be the case? Who knows!

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:51 am

KP,

Its not about how far you live from your home, but about how much you have. General rule of thumb, with everything be a no factor in terms of carries, stairs and such, is 500 pounds can be loaded and unloaded an hour per man. Therefore, I usually limit my one day local moves to 10,000 pounds for a 4 man crew. Thats 5 hours to load, 5 hours to unload and the time it takes to get to destination, so in your case your looking at 11 hours.

If you have more then 10,000 pounds, then I would do as he suggest and load half and deliver one day and load half and deliver the remaining portion the following day. That way nothing is left in a truck, as you fear, and you can have your beds to sleep on whether it be at the old house or the new house.

You dont want a bunch of workers there getting in the way of everyone. It just slows the process down.

If someone says they can get it done faster, they are telling you what you want to hear to get your business. Its better to have it done right and safely, then rushed and damaged.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:51 am

I think that the most guys you can use effectively is 5. Tight stairways and multiple levels will slow them down. Big dressers, pianos, glass cabinets, etc, all take extra time in these circumstances. We'll move up to about 13000 pounds in a day but no more. Usually the yards are pretty secure where they keep the trucks. Ask them if you can put your own lock on the truck if you really don't trust them. Remember that your truck is not the only truck in that yard with furniture on it overnight. If you were moving long distance, you'd have to trust the same company to keep it on a truck for even longer. Also when movers are working in the 10th and 11th hour of the day is often when the damage occurs as they get more tired. Attitudes can slip on your side and theirs as well.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:04 pm

Did a simliar job several years ago. 18,000 in 8 hrs. 2 vans and three and ran it like an office move. 2 good helpers at origin and destination and 2 straight trucks running between. Don't worry about loading tight, just get it on and moving. Situation HAS to be right, empty and owned house at destination etc. and the people have to be able to think independantly.

kp

Postby kp » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:11 pm

Thank you all for your help! We are having Peers Moving out of Dover move our items in one day. They are putting five men on the job and said it can be done in one day. I told them about my research and how they had a positive reporting on movingscam. This was a biggie for me. The other two sales men from other companies were very nice, but did not have any recommendations (other than the letters they provided to me, and I am assuming they left the angry letters back at the company - ha! ha!) Once we get all settled I will post and let you all know how our experience was with Peers. I really appreciate everyone's help! GREAT SITE AND GREAT PEOPLE!

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:31 pm

I'm so glad that the website helped you decide. I remember that the person who wrote the review said that Peers wasn't cheap, but did an excellent job. When it's all over maybe you could post the amount of your various quotes just so people can see what you were choosing from.

kp

Postby kp » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Here are the quotes and suprisingly enough Peers was the least expensive. Saying that, we haven't done the move yet, so hope the price doesn't change too much!

JD Carton $2752.50 Non Binding and wanted to keep my stuff overnight in their storage (Sorry Tim, b/c I know you advised me to be careful with them b/c of their lawsuits coming up on google search, but a friend who just moved recently said she really wished she had gone with them, so I figured I would at least have them come give me an estimate.) This was based on weight 14,000 lbs

Bohren's $2191 estimate (max price $2372) also two day move holding my stuff overnight in their lot - based on weight 14,000 lbs

Peers estimate is $1520 (if we moved during the week) or $1800 for a weekend move. We are moving on a Saturday b/c Friday was not available. They are basing this on an hourly rate of 8 hrs (2 trucks, 5 men).

Doing my research I heard it was not uncommon for movers to do an hourly rate when the move is around 35 miles (we are 37 miles away from new home). I understand that we may be looking at more hours (or even better - less hours, but doubtful), but still went with the company we felt most confident in.

We will keep you all posted as to how it all went!

blue

Postby blue » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:00 am

If you run out of daylight/energy, have the company unload beds at the new house, lock the truck and leave it at your place overnight (if that would ease your mind).

Also when movers are working in the 10th and 11th hour of the day is often when the damage occurs as they get more tired. Attitudes can slip on your side and theirs as well.

I hope this comment by ChrisL didn't get lost at the end of his message. It's important enough I thought worth repeating. An otherwise good move can turn sour quickly in the event of a problem caused by fatigue late in the game (physical or emotional).

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:36 am

14,000 pounds getting loaded and unloaded in 8 hours. Thats 3500 pounds an hour for 5 men, which equates to 700 pounds an hour per man.
Which equates to 4 hours to load 14,000 pounds and 4 hours to unload.

Hate to say it, and I hope I am wrong, but 8 hours to load and unload 14,000 is low.

Just be prepared for it to be a long day, and because things will be rushed, be prepared for damage.

To me it looks like you went with price and someone that was a "YES" sales person and not a "WISE" sales person.

Did they waive OT rates or something? Did you ask them how they planned to accomplish something in less time then the other two? Details?
Did you get their hourly rate for 2 trucks and 5 men?

Best of luck and do keep us posted
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:58 am

kp,

I think it COULD work as a one-day move if the men are really good, because unloading normally goes much faster than loading, so the loading could take 5 hours and the unloading only 3 hours. However, I agree with the cautions that have been expressed here. I would advise you not to push them to try to finish in 8 hours just to save a little money. Better to pay a little more, even if it takes 10-11 hours (not sure if that's legal), and avoid damage to your property that will be a pain for everyone to deal with later.

kp

Postby kp » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:36 pm

Thank you all once again for your advice. I didn't ask how they were going to accomplish this when (at the time I only had the other estimate for a two day move) another company said two days. They did provide me with an hourly rate and we plan on moving most of the boxes, small furniture to our basement or garage so it will help out with time. They can back one truck right up to garage and load this stuff. The salesman did say that anything we can do (like just mentioned) to have our items easier for them to load onto the truck would obviously make it a faster move. I am concerned about movers getting tired by the end of the day. But saying that I am more concerned about someone having our items stored in their lot. We didn't go with Peers because their estimate was the cheapest. We chose them because of various forums listing them as a reputable company with happy end results. Somehow I feel more comfortable with a local company that has positive feedback on sites such as this, then going with other larger companies that (b/c of their size possibly) had so many negative comments listed (even many lawsuits listed). I am going to call Peers and find out about OT charges and make sure our beds are top priority. We are going to need a great night's sleep after all of this! Again, I really appreciate everyone's input.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:48 pm

KP,

If your going to get the boxes and small stuff over prior to the move it could work, especially if you have things closer to where they will go out. Also, it wouldnt hurt to have beds dissassembled ahead of time.

Best of luck,
Michael

kp

Postby kp » Tue May 10, 2005 3:24 pm

Hi! Well we are in our new home and the move went so well! Peers did a great job! The weather was horrible, but they did a terrific job even in the rain (and finished one hour less than their quote)! The only thing that got soiled was our mattress and we felt so badly for the mover. As he was coming down the ramp with it (in the rain) the mattress slipped and became soiled in the corner. They were very apologetic. We were more concerned with the mover and if he was ok. Each mover made sure that everything was where we wanted it and didn't set things up until all the components were there (i.e. moved large tv into cabinet although tv was off truck first, etc.). They also set up our rugs and the rug pads exactly where we wanted them to go. When the movers were leaving they apologized again for the mattress and said they will have the office send out a claim form on Monday and that after we filled it out they will have someone come here to professionally clean the mattress and if we aren't satisfied with that they will replace it. Sure enough first thing Monday morning I received a call from Peers letting me know that they were sending out the claim form and wanted to see how everything went on Saturday. I told them everything was great and I would recommend them to anyone. I received the claim form in the mail on Wed. The movers were great guys (funny, yet hard working and considerate). Just wanted to let you all know. I am so happy I found this site, because I would have paid so much more for someone else to do the move and they would have held my stuff overnight! The total move took approximately 7 hours (5 guys and two smaller trucks).

Thanks again everyone!

Return to “Open Community”