Chicago - Mayflower, United or do-it-myself?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ChicagotoCT

Chicago - Mayflower, United or do-it-myself?

Postby ChicagotoCT » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:13 pm

Hi everyone. I'm about to make my very first long-distance move (with furniture) and I've done a lot of reading on this site, but I thought I'd go ahead and post in case anyone has some specific advice. I'm moving from Chicago to New Haven, CT.

I just got two estimates this morning, from Armstrong Relocation Services (United) and Fort Dearborn Relocation Management (Mayflower). I've also looked into truck rental and you pack, they drive movers. Of all the options, the self-serve mover is the one I like least.

The Mayflower estimate came in at 3200 lb and about $2150. (This includes a shuttle since I live in Chicago and the big truck can't park on my street.) The guy was really nice, had the answers to all of my questions, and spent a lot of time evaluating the furniture and weight.

The United estimate came in at 4000 lb and about $2600. The woman did not spend much time at all figuring the weight and I'm sure that she over-estimated, since I don't have all that much furniture.

My other option is to just rent a truck (Penske probably) and do it myself.

Does anyone have any advice and/or information about these particular agents? Thanks so much.

Katherine

Rebel

Re: Chicago - Mayflower, United or do-it-myself?

Postby Rebel » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:04 pm

Fort Dearborn Relocation
205 Gerri Lane
Addison, IL 60101
(630) 543-2043
Fax: (630) 543-2780
(630) 879-2649
Have given no information in response to BBB's request
Reverse lookup on address shows:
Mielec Transport
(630) 628-6800

Reverse lookup on main phone number:
Fort Dearborn Relocation Mgmt
1245 Paramount Pkwy
Batavia, IL

Mielec Transport
2 insurance cancellations in 2000
1 insurance cancellation in 2001
2 insurance cancellations in 2002
1 insurance cancellation in 2003
DOT# 883877 MC# 385765
Not registered for Household Goods Cargo

Not sure if Mielec and Fort Dearborn Relo are related but it's something
I'd drive by and check out. First, find out what address Fort Dearborn is
operating out of. I need more information on Armstrong to help you further on that company.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:36 pm

Chicago,

Armstrong Relocation is Uniteds Top Quality company. It received the "Presidents Quality Award" this year. It is awarded to Uniteds top agent in regards to their quality reports. They are one of Uniteds largest agents with 18 locations across the United States. The Chicago office is relatively new to Armstorng (1-1/2 years). I believe they were Cook Moving Systems (United) before Armstrong went in and bought their agency. And your not looking at Armstrong Raleigh, so your good there (sorry had to take a shot at them :evil: ).

As far as the MAyflower agent, I know nothing about them. But based on what the sales person did, and the time spent, he seems to have done his job well.

Keep in mind, they are both operated under the Unigroup name. Therefore, neither is cheaper then the other. Mayflower just estimated less weight. There is nothing wrong with over estimated. You should only be charged for the weight you have if it is less then the 4000 pounds she gave you a quote for.

So if everything is apple to apple, same discount, same valuation, and same packing, unpacking services, I think you will be just fine.

Keep in mind that United, just today has closed off the whole east coast from July 14 to Aug. 2, as of 5 o'clock this Thursday.

Good luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

fubar

Postby fubar » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:33 pm

As Michael stated. Mayflower & United are owned by the same parent company. You should get 3rd quote from another major van line to make sure you are getting the best price.
I am sure someone will jump in and insist that you do the move yourself or you will regret it the rest of you life and all your children will be born with 6 fingers and toes. That may be the best option for you. Only you know if you are capable of doing the move on your own.

Good luck.

ChicagotoCT

Postby ChicagotoCT » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:10 pm

Michael -

Closed off the entire East Coast?? Do you mean they're all booked up, or is there something else going on that I don't know about??

Rebel, this Fort Dearborn Relocation Services is operating out of the Batavia address.

Thanks all - I think I'll call Allied for my 3rd quote.

Katherine

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:48 pm

Chicago,

What it basically means is that if anyone has a move to book with United, take me for example, that is moving between July 14 and the 2nd of Aug, and moving outside a 500 mile radius, I will need to register there move by Thursday, July 4. I work in NC, just to let you know.

The reason its for moves over 500 miles, is that a move reverts into the United System for a driver, if the local agent cannot self haul your move. In your particular case, Armstrong has a huge advantage over any other company just cause of their shere size.

Just some industry talk. I would tell you to call ither company, and even if your calling Allied, and ask them of there cut off notices and see if your affected by them at all. Mayflower will be effected by the same cutoffs soon, I am sure.
Michael

SIR!!!????

Postby SIR!!!???? » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:31 pm

Michael wrote: And your not looking at Armstrong Raleigh, so your good there (sorry had to take a shot at them :evil: ).

Armstrong sounds like a great company.

What do you have against them?

What did they ever do to you?

I dont think an agent would win the presidents quality award for being a bunch of slack @sses.

please enlighten me.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:23 am

SIR!!!???

If you read my post, I did say they were a great company, and one of Uniteds largest agents, along with winning the President Quality Award. I do not believe I called anyone "Slack Asses" as you so eloquently put it.

My personal issue is with the Raleigh agency that I worked with, for 16 months. Yes it was a jab at them, like I said. Why is neither your business, nor should it reflect on the work Armstrong does as a whole.

Does that answer your question SIR!!!???
Michael

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:36 am

Chicago,

Just an update, that you are not affected by the cut-offs I mentioned to you last night. Just the states from North Carolina on up the east coast. But I am sure that will change soon.

Good luck,
Michael

Ruben Terrazas

Postby Ruben Terrazas » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:00 pm

Katherine,

DO IT YOURSELF... (I just moved from Chicago to Baltimore, MD...I'm having a nightmare with the moving company...Olympic Moving & Storage.)

I was quoted at $950 by "The Discount Moving Network"...my stuff was picked up 6 hrs late...(The mgmt company at 1122 N Clark then charged me a fine for using the elevator late..)

You would never guess what my "new price is"...$1,600.

BOTTOM LINE...If someone quoted you at $2,400 or $2,200, you'll probably end up paying a minimum of $3,600 to $4,200.

I will never trust any moving organization again.....

If you would like to discuss feel free to contact me at 312-505-4211 or 410-783-4352,

Ruben

fubar

Postby fubar » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:09 pm

You went with "Discount Moving Network"?? I suppose you found this bunch on the internet? I guess this is you 1st time here. Discount Moving network is not a moving organization. Organized crime would be a better discription. Thye have as much in common with moving as Tony Soprano does with Refuse Consulting.

Josh

Postby Josh » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:22 pm

Ruben,

I feel for you but do not agree with your comments. If you would have researched a little bit better, you probably wouldn't have the problems you had.

Chicago, you are doing the right thing by having us help you. Allied will be a good 3rd estimate to get.

Also remember the hazards of renting a truck. 3000 lbs will be about the most you can fit on a 14 or 15 foot truck, it sounds like you have a little bit more than that. That means you will need a 24' truck, which is hard to drive if you have no experience. Another point is that an 800 mile trip will use about 100 gallons of fuel, and you will also have the turnpike a majority of the way. This will probably be about 300 dollars extra for expenses. These are just some of the things to consider before renting a truck.

ChicagotoCT

Postby ChicagotoCT » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:13 am

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Allied was comparable to United & Mayflower. I decided to go with Mayflower because I felt the representative was the most professional and gave the best information. I'll let you know how it goes.

Josh

Postby Josh » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:22 am

Chicago,

You are very welcome, glad we could help. If you would like to donate some of that cash you are saving to help keep this site running, we would greatly appreciate it!

Good luck to you!!!

Here is the link for donations: http://www.movingscam.com/contribute.shtml

Josh

ChicagotoCT

The Move Recap

Postby ChicagotoCT » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:30 pm

The move is finished! Overall, I had a very good experience with Mayflower. Here goes:

Once I decided to use Mayflower, I called to ask about getting free boxes (I packed my own boxes) - Carl, my representative, drove out the following week with dozens of nearly new boxes, which saved me a lot of time and money. I packed everything except the glass shelves in one of my cabinets, and I was ready for the movers come moving day. According, to the office representative, they would be at my apartment between 8 and 9 a.m. Monday morning.

Now this is the only real glitch (and it's not even that big a deal). At 8:30 (not 7:30 or 7:00 or even 8:00), the representative called back and said that they rearranged the schedule and would be there in the afternoon around 1:00. A bit frustrating, since I had many things to do, but it was by no means a crisis.

A team of 3 men showed up just after 1:00 and did the speediest and most efficient loading job I've ever seen. They really had the system down and made my move-out completely painless. I signed the paperwork and they were off.

Because I wanted extra time between my move-out and move-in days (my new apartment was not yet ready), my stuff was stored at the Mayflower factory in the Chicago suburbs to be delivered anytime the following week, between Monday the 11th and Monday the 18th. I had pretty much assumed that it would be the latter part of the week, seeing as how movers tend to "run late". But they were at my new apartment on Tuesday the 12th, just the second day of the delivery window!

My move-in team was not quite as good as the move-out guys - there were only 2, they were tired after driving in traffic from NYC (don't ask me why my shuttle came from NYC!), and they didn't have any ramps or rolling dollys. I mean, the guys were super-nice and did the work just fine, but it wasn't the same level of professionalism.

There were no major damages - a few scratches here and there, a few crushed boxes (but nothing broken inside), and water damage to the back of one of my less expensive storage cabinets. Nothing that was worth submitting a claim. I was charged the full amount of my estimate (approximately $2200).

If you have any further questions, post them and I will check back. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Katherine

Return to “Open Community”