Reviews of international movers (June 2004 to present)

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
MusicMom

Re: Reviews of international movers (June 2004 to present)

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 am

I can't find what comment of mine you're referring to, but I understand what you're saying. Plus I had found about 5 years ago there was a company that bought a FIDI membership but they had no FMC license. I reported them to FIDI, but was told it was not a requirement for membership. Yeah, my eyes opened a bit.

I Moved

Postby I Moved » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:46 pm

SOS International Shipping Corp - DO NOT use this company for an overseas move. I was quoted a reasonable price which was just slightly lower than most others, but once I reached a "date of no return" (I was on a deadline to move) SOS added an additional 3K to my move and stated they couldn't do what they initially quoted unless I pay the additional money. Having no choice I complied, and my things were picked up. There ended any communication initiated by the company. I had to manage the entire move process and remind the company of their responsibilities. What complicated things further is that the port agency given to me for my arrival no longer exists. I was given no assistance in figuring out his matter and being naive to the process of shipping spent many hours straightening out agencies and paper work that I paid SOS to apparently screw up. My goods where picked up from my house April 14, 2014 and as of today June 18, 2014 I do not have them.

I will update on the condition of my goods when (if) they arrive. I don't have high hopes.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:42 am

Please contact the Federal Maritime Commission immediately to file a complaint and request help.

I Moved

Postby I Moved » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 pm

SOS International Shipping - After committing to utilize SOS Shipping for my move from Rochester, NY to American Samoa with a specific price and delivery date, I was informed that it would cost me an additional $3,000 to get my goods to American Samoa by my deadline. At this point the pick was scheduled and I could not switch companies due to time restraints that SOS was well aware of. The company claimed that the shipping arrangements that they quoted me for could no longer be arranged. I have e-mail records to verify this, as well as the information stated below. Once my belongings were picked up I was only given information upon persistent request. I was also given misinformation of company contacts and my Port Agent, the company name given to me does not exist. I received not assistance in sorting this matter out and had difficulties because I was not the party who hired the different companies involved in this move. Once I received my shipment, which included a car, it was clear that someone had smoked a cigarette in the vehicle and burned the car sears, my child's car seat and belongings which were placed in the car. Additionally, a control arm on the vehicle was broken in the move, the vehicle was inspected and driven by an insured driver and was in excellent condition. It appears that none of the insurance companies will take responsibility for the damage I just mentioned, I am still working with them to obtain reimbursement to the damage done to the exterior of the car.

josephjcox

Postby josephjcox » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:23 am

FYI, while it has taken me a while to post on my Rainier experience, it was superb. We were moving from the US to Israel - quite a move with quite a bit of stuff. Mark was prompt with his answers to questions and made the process incredibly painless. In fact, I got into a little bit of a billing issue with one of the later subcontractors on my move, but Mark backed me up all the way and pestered the other party until everything was resolved to my satisfaction. It was annoying for him, I'm sure, but effective. Oh, and almost everything arrived in tip-top shape and he helped with the insurance on the two small items ($300 out of $70k) that didn't.

yaricksr

Read Reviews

Postby yaricksr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:32 am

I see people talking about the "ROS" section of reviews. How do I read this? I only see the short descriptions.

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:16 am

If you're referring to the "RVS" or the Review Verification System, all reviews can be read via the forum entitled "RVS Reviews" located in the main section of the message boards. Simply click on the title of the review within the forum you would like to read and the full text will display.

If you want to read a review on a specific company, you can click the "Reviews" link above and perform a search of the company you're looking for by DOT#, Name or Zip code. A zip code search will not yield the best results if your company's zip has not been entered into their information. Once you've found your mover, click "View Moving Company" to display the information about the company. Scroll down to see any reviews that may have been entered.

Best Regards,
Jeff

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Review for Stevens International:

This one from Yessica, Danielle & Casey-
Not many people take the time to say thank you in today's busy world. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the teams at Sancalsa and Stevens Worldwide. After sitting for a year in storage in Omaha, the shipment arrived Sunday as promised in fact it was even early.

The move to Mexico was proving to be a very difficult experience until I discovered you. The team at Stevens, Casey and Danielle proved knowledgeable about the process from quote to finish. Yessica your knowledge and guidance thru the documentation process and assistance in helping with the letters needed to move the shipment thru customs was excellent.

I am positive that if I used the original company I had contacted my household goods would still be sitting in customs do the misinformation he was providing me.

Please share this email with your supervisors, all of you went above and beyond and deserve to be recognized for your efforts. I will keep your information on file and refer your companies to anyone looking for relocation experts to Mexico.
Again thank you and best regards

koukla

Postby koukla » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:06 am

Thanks to this website, I found Rainier Overseas Movers. I was moving from NYC to Greece, and the amount of moving companies was overwhelming, and I didn't know where to start or who to trust. After reading some reviews here, I went with Rainier, and am very happy I did. The price was in the same range as some scam companies gave me, yet the service was fantastic. I always had someone to email, and get a response to any question in a timely manner. All my things arrived in great condition, and within expected time frame.

klur

Postby klur » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:59 am

AVOID SAM CAJIGAS AND CONTAINER-OVERSEAS!! We have recently moved from the US to Europe and I really wish we would have read the information on this site before we moved. We used Container-Overseas run by Sam Cajigas. Avoid any company that this man is associated with like the plague. He is very deceitful. He gave us a quote which we did not accept because it was too high. He contacted us again with a lower quote which we accepted. The quote included a quote for the delivery of our container from the port in Germany to our home. Once the mover in Germany company, Beyoglu-Spedition, took control of our container, they charged us 5x the amount quoted to us by Container-Overseas. They have since held our container hostage for two months because we can not pay the increased fees. We found out since these problems started that Beyoglu was in contact with Sam Cajigas before we sent our container and Sam Cajigas knew that the charges for delivery would be much higher than what was quoted to us. He purposefully quoted us a lower amount to get our business- in legal terms a ˝Bait and Switch˝. We suspect that Beyoglu also knew ahead of time that we were being deceived and kicks back some money to Sam Cajigas, but we have no proof of that. Upon further investigation, we found that Sam Cajigas has changed the name of his company because of similar problems with other companies.
WE were wondering if anyone can give us advice. WE made no contract with Beyoglu to pick up our container at the port in Germany and move it to Budapest. We made a contract with Container-Overseas which included charges to be paid directly to the mover in Germany. We paid the amount on the quote. Can the mover at port in Germany, Beyoglu-Spedition, really pick up our container then charge us whatever he wants without our consent? I understand that it is difficult to exactly predict what the charges will be but the charges were 5x what was on our contract! How can this be legal?!

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:04 pm

Klur,

In order to help, I'll need some info:

1 - On the final quote, did you order door to door service, or door to port? (Don't assume, look at the final quote).

2 - What was listed as NOT included on the quote?

3 - What were the extra charges for?

You may well be incurring daily charges while the goods sit, so it is important to take action now.

The people to turn to for help are the US Federal Maritime Commission:
http://www.fmc.gov/requesting_cadrs_assistance/

klur

Postby klur » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:34 am

Noone wrote:Klur,

In order to help, I'll need some info:

1 - On the final quote, did you order door to door service, or door to port? (Don't assume, look at the final quote).

Yes- the quote was for door-to-door[/b]

2 - What was listed as NOT included on the quote?

There was no "NOT included" list on the quote

3 - What were the extra charges for?

You may well be incurring daily charges while the goods sit, so it is important to take action now.

The people to turn to for help are the US Federal Maritime Commission:
http://www.fmc.gov/requesting_cadrs_assistance/

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:52 pm

My suggestion is to turn to the FMC right away. I have never seen a quote without a section listing what is not included, and I don't see that you wrote (maybe you don't know) why there are the extra charges.

klur

Re: BIS Beyoglu teaming with Sam Cajigas

Postby klur » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi Noone,
Thanks for your advice. Back to your questions, the service was door to door, and it included customs clearance at destination. There was really nothing there listing non-included items.
The quote only included two pieces of information on the nature of charges. The first portion was for overseas freight, paid in USD to the shipper, Container Overseas, and we got instructions to wire payments at three different times, that totaled a bit less than the quote was. The second portion was supposed to be paid directly to the forwarder (which turned out to be BIS Beyoglu of Hamburg), in the amount of $670, in EUR.
When the vessel arrived at port we were asked for confirmation of our address. We did and informed them about our customs agent at destination, and we also asked both the shipper and the forwarder for estimated arrival time, and the exact fee for oncarriage (as their email said all fees paid by consignee), and declared we would not pay more than what was in the contract. We received no reply to these questions.
Two days before announced delivery date we were sent an invoice from BIS Beyoglu for the amount of 2992.85 EUR. We sent them 670 EUR and told them to ask Container Overseas for the difference. Because we had no written agreement with BIS Beyoglu, and they refused to issue any signed commitment all along, we did not think it was safe to send them extra payment and risk throwing it in a black hole. Btw, no player in the industry, including other participants in this same chain of transport (Metrans, MCC, customs, FCLM) thought that would have been a good idea.
Beyoglu's bill included some detail, such as 1550 EUR for rail from Bremerhaven to Debrecen, Hungary, 420EUR for customs at port, and a bunch of small non-descript items. When asked for justification of 5x the amount and proof of their claimed expenses, Beyoglu basically said it was none of our business, they need not show anything, all that is needed is us paying the difference to 2992, and the cancellation fee of delivery. They immediately placed the container in storage at an undisclosed location (again, we did not need to know where it was!), and promised high fees for demurrage and storage. Sam Cajigas (CO) kept explaining us how he saved us a lot of money ...
The Dock receipt said prepaid, for the address in Hungary. The B/L we were given was only up to Bremerhaven, and with our address as final destination. We did not receive another one, but there was a T1 document ordering customs clearance by an August 10 delivery date at destination in Debrecen. They tried to persuade us to cancel the customs order from our end before the deadline, but since we refused (probably not possible anyway), they managed to cancel it somehow.
We exchanged hundreds of emails with both Container Overseas and BIS Beyoglu. We maintained and emphasized that our contract partner was CO, and that Beyoglu needed to clear the difference with them, based on their own agreement. First they denied us any information on that, later a quote from BIS to CO surfaced in their emails that was much higher than what CO quoted us. Sam Cajigas apparently offered to make up for the loss to BIS in later shipments, but reminded them not to forget to credit his account in case the consignee pays them afterall!! All this was probably showcase, as BIS never attempted to take legal action against CO. Of course we are suing CO, but our cargo is still held hostage, accrued an absurd amount of extra fees and we had lived with threats of fees, auctioning of our personal belongings, and a slew of halfwit tirades about BIS and CO's selfless help for a hundred days now.
We demanded time and time again, that the forwarder (BIS) seek justice in court, even against us, if they saw fit, instead of extorting us. They ignored our request.

We contacted FMC and they are looking into it. But since it is a court case now they can probably not help.
Any useful hints are welcome!
Our advice to all readers, avoid any business run by Sam Cajigas, and any deal that BIS Beyolgu participates in as forwarder. Unless you like to be bullied, talked down, extorted, and possibly stripped of your belongings in the end.

Garp

Postby Garp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:43 am

I want to add ETC International Freight, Torrance, CA to the list of companies to be avoided like the plague. We had a very poor experience, with constant "up-charges", excuses, demands and delays. We ended up paying about double the contract price by the time we got our household, some 4 months later. Along the way we have numerous threats to have our household "sold at auction", if we did not pay "today", which was very stressful for us, two retirees.

Return to “International Moves”