When is a binding estimate not binding?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
susanander

When is a binding estimate not binding?

Postby susanander » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:32 pm

We received a "binding price proposal" from an agent for a major van line. My concerns here are three-fold: First, this estimate was based on a phone conversation wherein he asked what would be included in the move -- went on our say-so. Second, the actual written estimate has the following wording in it:

"This BINDING PRICE PROPOSAL is based on articles and services listed. In th event unknown additional services are required to effect delivery, these costs will be in addition to the amount stated below. Such services and applicable charges will be based upon the tariff rates in effect on th edate of this estimate. This estimate is valid for 60 days from the date of signature."

Third, I am cautious with this estimate as it is the lowest we have received.

Can anyone help clarify whether or not we have a true "Binding Estimate" here?

Diane

Re: When is a binding estimate not binding?

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:37 pm

First of all, you want a Binding Not to Exceed estimate, not a Binding estimate.

Second, the rep should come to your home to actually see your things, by all means. This is basic.

Third, if you post where you're moving from and to and how much stuff you have and your budget we may be able to make some suggestions about companies to use.

susanander

Postby susanander » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:48 pm

Thanks for this information. It confirms my gut reaction. Actually, I'm trying to help my 82-year-old father carry off a move from Evergreen, CO to Orlando, FL. I already stepped in to stop him from using Spirit Relocaton - -thanks to the kind folks on this board! He was just on the verge of signing their non-binding agreement, simply because the price was low. We have since contacted the major van lines and they are farming out our estimate requests to their agents. The company I just wrote about -- who gave Dad the "Binding Price Proposal" was St. Vrain Move Center, agent for North American Van Lines. There will be three other companies coming out next week to do an on-site estimate -- Atlas, Allied and Global. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :lol:

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Hi - Thank goodness you found out about Spirit.

Here's a thread on which someone in your father's area was asking about St. Vrain and Armstrong - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3692
Please note that Broadway Express (mentioned there) is also an option and would probably cost much less than a major van line, if that matters. I feel sure that they would be very nice to your dad.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:19 pm

Diane,

I am sure not all 82 year olds have the capability to handle their own move.

Susan,

I would nix Global. Go with quotes from Allied, NAVL and Atlas.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

susanander

Postby susanander » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:41 pm

Michael, you're right about my dad not being able to handle moving his own things. Unfortunately, we're not able to go out to move him, either. Why would you nix Global -- just curious, as I know they will be going out to give him an estimate next week.

Diane, thanks for the links on St. Vrain -- I'll read them to my dad.

Me/Michael

Postby Me/Michael » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:39 pm

To be honest, they just are not as quality focused and driven as the others. And I dont think they could do a better job then the other ones. I would also do an agent search to make sure they are a Global agent. Many scammers, and I am not saying this one is, seem to represent Global, even though they had been fired from them as agents.

Best of luck,

Michael

Return to “Open Community”