Any experience with vaulted storage?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Movin' Mama

Any experience with vaulted storage?

Postby Movin' Mama » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:11 am

Okay, I'll try this again with a broader title to see if anyone has an opinion and add a few more questions.

In June I will be moving our family from Olympia, WA to Minneapolis, MN for a year. I would like to put many boxes of books, papers, photos and some furniture in storage in WA until our return. We are considering vaulted storage and I wondered if anyone has had experience storing paper items and photographs in vaulted storage - particularly in a damp climate. Some of the storage facilities have heat, but most do not. I am somewhat concerned that without climate control, the books might get musty and the photos might get sticky. The storage companies are very re-assuring, but I'd feel more comfortable with outside opinions.

Also, I have encountered different approaches to vault storage and would like some experienced views. Olympic Moving & Storage (Wheaton) comes to your house with the vaults (6x6x7 cubic ft) on a flatbed, loads the vaults in your driveway, and takes them to the warehouse where they are stored. Their salesperson emphasized how this reduced handling. Olympic charges by the vault for storage. Lile Moving (North American) picks up your stuff in a truck and takes it to the warehouse where it is packed into vaults. The sales person emphasized the advantage of having your things carefully and tightly packed by the experienced warehouse guys who can see it all laid out and optimize the fit (heavy things on the bottom, etc). He said it leads to less damage during transport to your new home later. Lile charges by the weight, not the vault. Both sales people provided similar weight estimates (around 1800 lbs), but storage costs with Olympic are higher ($35/vault x 2 vaults=$70 per month) vs. Lile ($45 for 2000lbs per month) Estimates for the two companies for our cross country part of the move are very similar, so much of our decision regarding who we go with comes down to the storage part.
Thanks for your input. Movin' Mama

Michael

Re: Any experience with vaulted storage?

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:32 am

MovinMama,

Either case of how your goods are vaulted is fine. Have you had the chance to go visit each location? If not I would. And from there make your decision.

In regards to your goods being vaulted. its much better then having then stored in a public, non climate controlled faciltiy.

I dont think you would have any issues with storing your goods as describe. Although a year of storage, isnt going to make anything come out smelling like roses. But at least they should be well protected, not subjected to the harsh temperatures outside that a public facility would have.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Movin' Mama

Postby Movin' Mama » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:54 am

Thanks for the insight. I visited both warehouses and both seemed just fine: vaults raised a few inches off of the concrete floor, lots of room for air circulation. I also found out that "climate controlled" is not the same as, say, climate control in your living room. It simply means that they don't let the warehouse reach freezing temperatures. I also spoke with an experienced warehouse worker (at Lile Moving) who said paper/cardboard boxes are the way to go for storing paper items because they "breathe".

I have another question related to storage of said papers and books that I hope isn't too far-out for a reply. My husband is gung-ho to spray all the files and books directly with Lysol to kill any existing mildew that might be on them before they are stored. I think he's nuts. It seems to me that one is introducing moisture (he argues that is is alcohol based and therefore will evaporate instantly). Back me up on this one, please!

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:16 am

Movin Mama,

You make a good point. Climate controlled and temperature controlled are two different things.

Climate control allows you to control the temperature with hot and cold and maintain that temperature.

Temperature control allows you to turn up the heat if needed.

And as far as the lysol thing. I have no idea or experience with anyone doing that. Why dont you run a controlled experiment. Fill a box with papers and spray it. Keep it in a warm place for a bit and see what happens. I wouldnt overdue the spray.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”