Moving Connection, Inc for DC-San Francisco?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
roberton

Moving Connection, Inc for DC-San Francisco?

Postby roberton » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:39 pm

I'm moving from Washington, DC to San Francisco, and have been checking out movers. The best combination of price and service quality seems to be a company called The Moving Connection, in Baltimore. They're a North American Van Lines agent. Contact information is below. Does anyone out there have any experience (good or bad) with them?

MOVING CONNECTION, INC
700 EVELYN AVE
SUITE C
BALTIMORE , MD 21090
(410) 242-7343
(888) 399-6683

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

-Rob

consumer advocate

Re: Moving Connection, Inc for DC-San Francisco?

Postby consumer advocate » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:12 pm

In checking the DOT website www.safersys.org, it appears that they do not have the required insurance. Have you gotten quotes from other companies?

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:42 pm

roberton,

If they are an agent for North American, then they may be using North American's DOT and MC license numbers (this is legal). You may want to ask them for their DOT and MC license numbers, and if they have moved recently because I have the following information for them:

3620 Commerce Drive #703
Baltimore, MD 21227-1641
(443) 524-1202
www.themovingconnection.net

Vans: 2
Straight Trucks: 5
Power Trucks 3
Warehouse: 40,000 sq. ft.

Since there's a difference in the address, you may want to call North American's headquarters to verify that they are a valid agent, and not some unregistered company trying to make a living off of another companies reputation.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Nancy/Guest

Postby Nancy/Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:15 pm

They are definitely a current NAVL agent. You can confirm this by calling corporate at 800-348-2111, or checking on corporate website www.navl.com.

My agency directory shows they have been an agent since April 2002. I think that date is based on a name-change around that time. Your salesperson may be able to give you some history, but I think they have been an NAVL agent event longer.

When are you planning on your move? All van lines are very busy with the summer season. I think your area isn't taking new orders until after July 17th. That may change pretty quickly as other van lines have restricted new bookings. This is our busiest time of the year!

roberton

Postby roberton » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:21 pm

Most of the other companies either have no space available then or don't even return my phone calls (I'm only moving a one-bedroom apt, and I'm doing it at the busiest time of the month). I ruled out a couple of other companies because they gave me a bad feeling on the phone.

The one other place that seemed legitimate and would actually give me a quote was Sterling Moving & Storage, in Jessup, MD. But I'd rather not go with them (unless I have no other good options) because they gave me a two-week window for when my stuff would arrive in CA--which seems excessive.

roberton

Postby roberton » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:24 pm

Thanks, Nancy and twalker. That's very useful information--and makes me feel a lot better.

roberton

Postby roberton » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:32 pm

Oh, and to answer Nancy's question, I'm moving out around the 23rd-25th--which means I don't have a lot of time left. Obviously, I should have lined up a moving company earlier. I'll remember that for next time I move.

Nancy/Guest

Postby Nancy/Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:43 pm

Ummmm, isn't Sterling also an agent for North American Van Lines? Can't believe that one or the other would give you drastically different dates?@?

I can tell you what the company transit guide mandates. For shipments under 4,000 lbs, going over 3,000 miles, the delivery would be 8 to 19 days after the load. That is fairly realistic, but NOTE, even the "majors" are having late deliveries right now. We have had to explain it to several customers today. It is the downside of moving at the busy season.

I suggest getting this booked within 24 hours!

roberton

Postby roberton » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:47 pm

Hmmm...I hadn't noticed that they're both agents for the same line, but you're right. The two quotes were almost identical, but the arrival windows were quite different--which definitely doesn't make much sense for the same line.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Nancy/Guest

Postby Nancy/Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:57 pm

The two week delivery spread is probably a bit more realistic. Sorry, but you might as well be prepared for the reality of moving a small shipment across country during busy season.

Whichever agent moves you, be sure to get an NAVL Order for Service. This should show the "agreed" upon dates. Movers do not offer "guaranteed" dates due to the nature of our business. We can't function like Federal Express, so can't guarantee our dates. However, you should verify your "agreed" upon dates. Once your shipment is booked, you can also call corporate. Give them your contract number, and ask them to verify the dates. It's just an extra step to make sure the agency and corporate are on the same wavelength.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:50 am

Sterling Moving & Storage
2011 N Westmoreland St
Arlington VA 22213
(This address yields Anderson M&S, Falls Church & Fairfax Movers, and Sterling)
9224 Gaither Rd
Gaithersburg, MD
(Didn't find anything listed at this address)
144 Lafayette Ave
Laurel, MD

(800) 828-1972
703-532-1260 (Sterling M&S, Sterling Moving & Notation Storage, and Anderson Moving & Storage in Arlington along with Sterling M&S in Sterling, VA)
301-258-7776 (Sterling M&S and NAVL in Gaithersburg along with Valley Relocation & Storage in Laurel)
301-953-3258

DBA: Patriot Relocation and Valley Relocation Services

301-498-7776 Sterling and Valley
(800) 828-1972 Valley
(703) 532-1545 Falls

Patriot Relocation Services, Inc
Purged from VA Corporations 9/30/02
Valley Relocation Services, Inc
Ficticious name for Sterling purged from VA Corps 9/30/02
The only Falls Church Movers was a ficticious name purged also
Anderson M&S does not exist in VA Corps

Could not check Maryland Corps since its search engine is down
That's all I've got for now.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:53 am

I had a great experience with the Moving Connection. Very professional, rates were reasonable, nothing broken, no hassles or scams with the price.

I will use them again. Hope your experience is like mine.

Good luck!

Mike H.

Return to “Open Community”