A Supreme Movers - Fair Lawn, NJ

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
SkyyBlue

A Supreme Movers - Fair Lawn, NJ

Postby SkyyBlue » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:27 pm

This was the third moving company I had come to give us an on-site estimate. At the end, the salesman had me sign the "Estimated Cost of Services". He then asked me to sign an "Order for Service with Non-Binding Estimate". On the order is the statement about "The consumer acknowledges receipt of the brochure entitled "Important Notice to Consumers Utilizing Public Movers" as ordered by the Director of the Division of Consumer Affiars, Department of Law and Public Safety, State of New Jersey". When asked why I had to sign this as I was NOT agreeing to utilize their services, I was told it was not an agreement for their service but just to acknowledge receipt of the booklet. I had to sign in three places. This form seems very vague. I panicked and called their main office and they OF COURSE assured me I was not "booked".

Please explain this to me ... I have done A LOT of research and found that A Supreme Movers are a horrible, horrible company. I wouldn't want to do business with them if my life depended on it.

Thanks in advance!
SkyyBlue

SkyyBlue

Re: A Supreme Movers - Fair Lawn, NJ

Postby SkyyBlue » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:45 pm

I should've also posted this but I forgot!

I have checked out this company on SaferSys.org and see they have an extremely high out-of-service rates:

Vehicle: 31.6%
Driver: 40.7%

That is ridiculous!

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:07 am

To be sure you cover yourself (it sounds to me like you suigned an order for service...remember, words said are not words written) Send a letter, certified mail, return receipt, to the company stating that you do not want thier services, and any arrangements that may have been made are to be cancelled. This ends your legal obligation, should there be any. I assume you have a copy of what you signed, so just to be safe, make a copy of any documents you signed, write "Cancel", the date, and initial it and enclose with the letter of cancellation. Save the receipt.

SkyyBlue

Postby SkyyBlue » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:39 pm

I took the advice of "Guest" above and sent a letter of cancellation along with copies of the Estimate and Order for Services (I placed the word CANCEL through each, signed, and dated them). I mailed them certified mail, return receipt requested yesterday!

Funny thing is, on Sunday afternoon around 3:00 A. Supreme Movers called our home but didn't leave a message (it's on our Caller ID). Today they called and left a message asking us to get back to them with our decision as to whether or not we wanted to use them.

So I guess in the long run I had not actually hired them, but I'm covering all my bases anyhow! (Including saving/recording this voice mail message for back-up!)

Have a pleasant day!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:45 am

I looked up all the information on them and it all seemed to be good... im moving in 2 weeks and was going to use them.... they didnt make me sign anything.... should i reconsider??

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:14 am

Guest, where are you moving from/to? Did you actually book with them to do your move?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:15 am

You're in CA? How did they give you an estimate? Emailed inventories are never accurate, nomatter how diligent you think you're being about listing your stuff.

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unresolved complaint(s).

The Bureau processed a total of 33 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 33 complaints in the last 36 months, 5 of those were closed in the last 12 months.

They've been operating for two years, so all 33 of those are recent.

Government Actions

Thursday, August 5, 2004

The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier
Safety Administration (FMCSA) today announced fines for a New
Jersey household goods mover for violating federal motor
carrier regulations.

A Supreme Movers, Inc. of Fair Lawn, NJ was assessed $32,950. [that's a big fine]

The federal agency cited the company for operating a charge
card plan without providing a tariff, or list of charges, and
for failing to properly weigh shipments, prepare orders for
service or prepare itemized bills. The company also failed
to provide Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move, a
pamphlet required for consumers that summarizes of carriers'
dispute settlement programs.

A Supreme Movers also was cited for not charging its
applicable tariff rate, not following its loss and damage
claims procedures, and not preparing non-binding estimates as
required.....

The investigation was prompted by consumer complaints to
the FMCSA.

You should have a signed contract with ANY mover you are considering.

Please, cancel your contract. You can find another mover in that time.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:20 am

i didnt sign any contract with them... and they actually have a new DOT and MC number, which are the ones i looked up and everything looked good... but now i see they changed there name from A Supreme moving to Supreme Moving Systems.... man, oh man... im moving in a week and have no idea what to do now.... :?:

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:29 am

Yep, you're right. Their new license numbers, for anyone asking, is DOT1383169, MC484527.

I don't know why they changed, though. The old licenses are still active, and look better than the new one. Must be trying to escape that huge fine.

OK, now, you call some movers in YOUR HOME TOWN and explain the situation and timeline. See if they can get an estimator out there pronto. Two weeks, it can be done, I think.

If not, can you postpone your move for a few days to allow wiggle room with the movers? Or if you have to be out of your current house by a certain date, can the movers pick it up and hold it until they can get it on a truck heading to your new house? This is what we almost did, the day of the move when scammers showed up. Wish I had.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:37 am

Thanks for all the info!!! i think we might try to get with the allied/simonik movers... i seem to hear a lot of good things about them on this site... more expensive... but i guess you pay for what you get...

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:40 am

Guest, you seem to be posting from Philadelphia. You can click on the link below my signature and scroll down to both "New Jersey" and "Pennsylvania" to see what has been said here about movers in your area. Simonik has good comments although I believe the branch in north Jersey has higher quality scores than the one in south Jersey. Thank goodness you found this site - your move would have been a disaster.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:10 pm

Again... thanks for all your help...

i am getting estimates from:

Gsell Moving, Simonik Moving and Mc Collisters... im sure they will be a little more pricy than Supreme Moving Systems, but im sure not as much hassle....

i didnt even go through a horrible move, but i feel so greatful to have found this website before i did, and not AFTER!!

I appreciate it... and i will make sure to pass the information along... already half the people i work with are now aware of movingscam.com!!!

:thumbsup:

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:04 pm

You might also want to consider Sinclair Moving & Storage, which has very good comments here.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:51 pm

If it makes you feel any better, the new movers you're talking to only seem pricey because Supreme's quote was most likely low to entice your business. In the end, you would've paid the same, because the bill would almost certainly be inflated. No mover can consistently charge the low prices they promise and stay in business, with all the costs involved in running a moving company.

My own scammer bumped the bill from $1300 to $4300, a little more than the van line agent that contacted me.

Return to “Report A Scam”