Has anyone had experience with Hicks Moving and Storage?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jmcculloch

Has anyone had experience with Hicks Moving and Storage?

Postby jmcculloch » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:33 pm

Hello!

Now that I'm terrified to hire a mover :) I was wondering if anyone's had experience with Hicks Moving and Storage in Dryden NY? We'll be moving from Chicago to Ithaca, NY. I haven't gotten their license info yet but here's the info from the BBB:

HICKS MOVING & STORAGE
450 Livermore Road
Dryden, NY 13053

Original Business Start Date: 1/1/1965
Principal: Stephen Hicks, Partner
Customer Service Contact: The business' designated customer service contact is Stephen Hicks, Partner, who can be reached at (607) 844-9771.
Local Phone Number: (607) 844-9771
Fax Number: (607) 844-4884
Email Address: hicksmov2@citlink.net
Membership Status: This company is a member.
Date Joined BBB: 4/27/2000
TOB Classification: Movers

This company has been a member of the Better Business Bureau since April 2000. This means it supports the Bureau's services to the public and meets our membership standards.

This company offers Long Distance & Local Moving/Storage/Packing/Loading/Unloading/Mini Storage/Packing Services.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau.

Closed Complaints
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 36 Months: 1
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 0

Complaints Concerned
Customer Service Issues: 1
Outcome of the complaint -
Company made good faith effort to Resolve: 1

Additional Addresses

P O Box 538, Dryden, NY 13053.

Thanks!
Jeanette

Diane

Re: Has anyone had experience with Hicks Moving and Storage?

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:11 pm

They look OK on www.safersys.org - have had interstate licensing authority since 1998, which is good. On one site they claim to be "Native American owned" (?). Their MC (Motor Carrier) license number is 339084. It's just a little surprising to me that such a small company would go this distance to move you. How did you hear about this company? Asking realtors in Ithaca about them would be a good idea, I think.

jmcculloch

Postby jmcculloch » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:48 am

Thanks for the check! Our realtor in Ithaca recommended two carriers - Hicks and then Dimon and Bacorn. It took two calls to get Dimon's to call me back, and then they assigned me to Prager's for the Chicago end of the move. I've called Prager's twice and Dimon's again to try to get Preger's to call me back, but with no luck, which strikes me as a bad sign since they don't even have my business yet! My primary concern about Hicks is that they aren't going to do an in-person estimate - they'd like to base their bid on either: the weights estimated by others, a detailed inventory that we create, or a series of digital photos that we send to them. What do you think of this? And any other recs for Chicago to upstate NY?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:56 am

Hi - the three companies in Chicago that have pretty good reviews here by people who used them for long-distance moves are Armstrong United, Planes United, and Jackson Allied. In each case there were slight glitches but no disasters. Of the three, I would say that Planes United performed the best on the particular move that we know about. A higher-up there is a member of this forum and if you tell Planes that you're going to post here about your move, things might go better for you (just speculating).

Is your employer paying for this move? They may have companies that they work with all the time, and it's usually to your advantage to use those companies since they will have an interest in keeping their relationship good with your employer.

My concern about Hicks is whether it is really going to be able to pick up your things using its own truck and driver. You need to be VERY sure about that. On the estimate thing, you could ask Planes to do an estimate and then have Hicks quote on that weight and compare your options.

Return to “Open Community”