Dahill, University, Nassau, BE, All Star Estimates

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mizrach

Dahill, University, Nassau, BE, All Star Estimates

Postby mizrach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:58 pm

As promised, here are the estimates from three recommended companies (as well as two phone estimates) found and discussed on this terrific website. One of whom will be going the 1100 miles from Brooklyn to Tallahassee with the contents of my 1.5 bedroom apartment.

DAHILL/MAYFLOWER
ESTIMATOR: CHRIS BLANK
TOTAL ESTIMATED WEIGHT: 6895 lb
TOTAL ITEM COUNT: 153
TOTAL NON-BINDING ESTIMATED CHARGES: $4297.68
110% of ESTIMATED CHARGES: $5143.24

NASSAU/UNITED
ESTIMATOR: DOMINICK GERMANO
TOTAL ESTIMATED WEIGHT: 6524 lb
TOTAL ITEM COUNT: 139
TOTAL NON-BINDING ESTIMATED CHARGES: $4082.14
110% of ESTIMATED CHARGES: $4490.35

UNIVERSITY/ATLAS
ESTIMATOR: BILL QUIGLEY
TOTAL ESTIMATED WEIGHT: 5900 lb
TOTAL ITEM COUNT: 150
TOTAL GNTE ESTIMATED CHARGES: $3351.27

ALL STAR MOVING (BROOKLYN)
ESTIMATOR: NICK
PHONE ESTIMATE: +/-$ 5500

BROADWAY EXPRESS (spoke w/Trent)
PHONE ESTIMATE: $2231-$2346 @ 15-16 lin ft

My general impressions:

It should be known that all of the estimators I met were professional, considerate and responsible seeming people. I think one could move smoothly with any of these companies. Also, some of the items coming along for the ride are currently located off-site at a storage facility, so neither Dahill nor Nassau were able to give me a GNTE estimate.

Chris Blank was the most thorough and careful estimator. He asked a million questions, opened every cabinet, looked deep inside the mess my closets have become, and, generally speaking, seemed enthusiastic, professional, efficient, and careful. He also told me a GNTE contract was "complicated." However, he did say he would accompany me to the storage facility and would be able give me the GNTE estimate at that time.

Dominick Germano was less thorough but seemed to have a handle on what his job was and how to go about doing it. He was also a likable person who at some point drove the trucks themselves. However, he was against the idea of giving me a GNTE estimate as it was, in his words, an easily voided contract. His contention was that if the GNTE estimate says I have x number of boxes when it turns out on moving day I actually have y number of boxes the contract is then null and void thereby defeating the purpose of a GNTE estimate.

Bill Quigley was, by far, the more accessable personality as well as a former driver and brother to the owner. Besides being as thorough as Dominick, he seemed to truly want my business and was well aware of his companies reputation on this specific website. Within the first few minutes of meeting him, he said that he wanted to give me a GNTE estimate. I had not even mentioned what type of estimate I wanted. But, at the same time, he could not entirely assure me that my possesions would remain on one truck the entire way down.

Without a doubt, I would be paying, at minimum, a thousand dollars more for a full service moving company but without the hassle of roping my friends into helping me move or having to hire unknown workforce on the other end. At the same time, with Broadway Express, my move remains on one truck the whole way, I receive a fairly nice savings, have experienced a helpful person when calling their office and, finally, have read the terrific recs on this board.

With Dahill, I simply trust Chris Blank. He is quite the professional.

With Nassau, I am assured my move stays on one truck.

With University, I've been given the best price for full service from a well regarded company although my move may be transferred locally.

(All Star has been ruled out as their estimator, Nick, did not know what Air Ride suspension was.)

The only thing keeping me from going with University is BE's record on this board, their terrific price and, more importantly, the big, unexplainable difference in weight between the University estimate and the estimates of Dahill and Nassau. Here is, finally, my concern: If Unversity has given me a GNTE estimate, which they have, need I feel concerned if they've potentially screwed up their weight estimates? I do plan on getting rid of a ton of stuff, so my projected weight very well may be University's estimation but am I totally safe guarded by their GNTE estimate?

And, is it possible to have written confirmation from University that my move stays on one truck the whole way? And, if not, do I need to stress the transfer from truck to truck aspect of this move?

Sorry for the ramble.

Diane

Re: Dahill, University, Nassau, BE, All Star Estimates

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:00 pm

mizrach,

Thanks so much for this incredibly thorough report on your estimates.

I'll just say that I may be wrong, but I think that all three companies will have to pick up your goods with a small truck before final loading on the truck that goes to Florida. I didn't realize this until I was in NYC last week and talked with a couple of moving company owners in person as well as with Bill Quigley on the phone.

Bill told me that long-haul trucks can usually pick up loads directly from the residence in NJ but (because of access problems) not in NYC. So whatever company you choose, I believe that your goods will be transferred either from a small truck into a tractor-trailer or from a small truck into a warehouse. That isn't the end of the world, by the way.

As for whether University would use its own truck to move you to FL, Bill probably can't say at this point. He is just being honest with you. It will depend on what other loads they have booked that are going in that direction.

As for Bill's estimate, if he gave you a GNTE specifically including what's in your storage unit, University would have to honor it. (I'm surprised he would do that without seeing it.) I think I recall people saying on this board that variations of 10% aren't that unusual among estimates.

Bottom line:- if having your things moved in the same truck from start to finish is important to you, I would advise you to use BE. If you don't want to impose on your friends, you could always hire workers from All Star to help load the truck. I think they would charge $30/hour per worker, which might be competitive with Labor Ready in a place like NY. In FL people have said that Labor Ready workers are very inexpensive, and it doesn't take nearly as much skill to unload as to load.

I have a feeling that your delivery time would be faster with BE than with University also.

Mizrach

Postby Mizrach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi Diane, et. al.,

Actually, the thank you's go to you. You're posts on this board have been beyond helpful. So, thank you for that.

Re: Long haul trucks in Brooklyn: Normally, yes, you'd be right and all three moving companies would be forced to shuttle my move from small truck to long haul rig but, as it happens, my apartment is on a wide enough street to permit an 70-80 ft tractor-trailor. Also -- this idea may be helpful to others in cities like NY -- the move date will be scheduled during a morning when the alternate side of the street parking regulations are in effect. In my case, from 8-11 am every Monday my block is as clear as can be, allowing any sized moving truck easy parking/loading access.

Bill from University did say he had no idea what other loads would be on my specific truck. If I do go with University I suppose I'll just wait and see. I've just heard most damage occures during transfer points and not, as I normally assumed, on the truck itself. Which brings me to my latest worry:

Diane, how do I go about guaranteeing that University will not put my shipment into the van line system? You've said, "You want the moving company to move your goods in its own truck using its own driver for maximum accountability," which makes perfect sense but is it possible University would do such a thing and, if not, is that a good enough reason not to use them?

-Miz

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:24 pm

Miz,

I need to be careful that I don't get out of my depth here. I'm just learning about the moving industry and I don't want to unintentionally give you wrong advice. Hopefully a moving professional will come on here to give more authoritative answers than I can.

Did the companies specifically tell you that they would pick your shipment up in a tractor-trailer? Although your street may be wide enough, and although I know about alternate-side parking, it kind of surprises me that they would do that. Usually the companies would "stage" the move from their warehouse or the small truck would meet up with the tractor-trailer somewhere outside the city. The reason I think this is that your load is only around 6,000 pounds and tractor-trailers hold around 25,000 pounds. But if they told you they would do that, OK. I guess that might be a sign that they plan to use one of their own trucks rather than assign you to a van line truck.

I believe that Bill said that University is going to send about one truck a week to FL during the summer months. Therefore I think your load would have a good chance of going on one of their own trucks. But as I said, that isn't really his call and I don't think he would put it in writing. In answer to your specific question, I don't think it should be a deal-breaker if your shipment doesn't go in a University truck. It would be nice if it did, but it may not be possible.

These are kind of "non-answers" but I hope you'll understand that I don't want to go farther than my limited expertise allows.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:56 pm

Hi, Diane,

No company said specifically that a tractor-trailer would be parked outside but they all mentioned that a 70-80 foot truck would be used. They also told me how good it was that I wouldn't need to be shuttled as they could park right there on a monday morning, and that I'd be saving close to a thousand dollars because of it. There was no mention of warehouse or truck meet-up.

Bill did say that Florida is their most popular run, and that I had a good chance of staying on the same truck. But, I think you're right, and I doubt he'd guarantee it.

I was thinking that if my stuff gets shifted from one truck to another on University that that would be enough to decide on BE. Then again, perhaps the full service move regardless of any truck-to-truck postioning is good enough to go with University.

It's a close call between University and BE. I suppose I am looking for some kind of clincher.

--Miz

mizrach

Postby mizrach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:57 pm

Sorry for not including my username above.

--Mizrach

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:03 pm

OK - that sounds reassuring that they'll pick you up in the same truck that will move you to FL. However, they didn't say whether it would be their truck or a van line truck.

Bill did tell me that University is going to try to self-haul as much as possible. I wonder whether it makes a difference that you're going to Tallahassee rather than to Miami (?). Also, how will they make the pickup from the storage unit?

Bottom line--I guess I'm as much on the fence as you are. I think BE would be the safer choice, but the full-service move for a very good price is also appealing, I know.

mizrach

Postby mizrach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:17 pm

What would the concerns being over the truck being theirs or the vanlines?

--Miz

Mizrach

Postby Mizrach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 pm

I'll try that again!

What would the concerns be between using their truck over the use of a van line truck?

There we go...

--Miz

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:18 pm

Well, you said you didn't want your shipment to go into the van line system. That means, you didn't want it to be hauled by an Atlas over-the-road driver in an Atlas truck. You wanted it to be hauled by University Van Lines using its own truck and driver, right? Isn't that what we've been discussing? :?

(I think maybe we're obsessing too much, don't you? :D You should be fine with either University or BE. )

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:01 am

Diane,

I was trying to understand why you said in an earlier post, "Just have them guarantee that they will not put your shipment into the van line system. You want the moving company to move your goods in its own truck using its own driver for maximum accountability."

Better safe than sorry!

--Miz

Mizrach

Postby Mizrach » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:08 am

But you're right. I am obsessing. I guess the confusion was in that I figured University would be taking my move all the way to Tallahassee no matter what. I nver considered that they might have another truck or driver do the work and that if they did their service might not be all that good and that they wouldn't be accountable.

--Miz

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:12 am

OK - what I meant was, I feel that if Bill Quigley knows the driver (and the truck) moving your shipment to FL, things may be more likely to go well than if some completely random driver assigned to your shipment by Atlas Van Lines at Atlas national headquarters shows up on your doorstep in Brooklyn. The random driver may never be seen again by Bill Quigley and his brother, whereas the University Van Lines driver is likely to be someone that they know and will see again and who will therefore be motivated to do an especially good job. That's all.

mizrach

Postby mizrach » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:14 am

Ok, last question!!!!

Do you think it's possible to get that assurance from Bill?

I need sleep!!!!

:D

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:18 am

Hey, I'm just getting going here on the West Coast!

No, that's what I was saying above. Bill won't be able to give you that assurance because dispatch isn't under his control, but I think it looks hopeful that University plans to send 3-4 trucks a month to FL. In any case, even if your shipment is moved by an Atlas over-the-road driver in an Atlas Van Lines truck, Bill told me that they normally do a very good job.

Nighty-night . . . :lol:

Return to “Open Community”