advise pickng a mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
galdo76

advise pickng a mover

Postby galdo76 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:43 pm

Hello All,
I’ve moved myself one too many times and gotten good at it but I’m now forced into hiring a mover due to accumulation of too much stuff and lack of time. I’ve had in-home estimates from the following agents who represent these companies and have also provided some additional information for all to critique. Any advise or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

North American
Not to exceed price - $3373.43
Full valuation protection to the amount of $30,000 for $255.27
Agent – Bill Vida with the Beltmann Group
Does not Sub-contract
BBB member with satisfactory rating and 1 resolved complaint in the last 3 years

Allied
Not to exceed price - $3197.91
Full valuation protection to the amount of $35,000 for $346
Agent – John Abbink with ABC Moving, Inc.
Does not Sub-contract
BBB member with satisfactory rating and all complaints resolved.

United
Not to exceed price - $3172.00
Full valuation protection to the amount of $20,000 for $212
Agent – David Malugen with S&M Moving Inc.
BBB Member
This agent ultimately led me to this site and gave me some great information about researching movers, he did come to my house and looked over everything to be shipped but he did not give me a written estimate, he called me and gave me his price over the phone later in the day.

Atlas
Not to exceed price - $2772.14
Full valuation protection for FREE to the amount of $34,000
Agent Scott Benett with Southwest Transfer & Storage
Not a BBB member and also had an unsatisfactory rating due to unanswered complaints.

Mayflower
Not to exceed price - $3319.01
Full valuation protection to the amount of $35,000 for $353
Agent – Connie Caiazzo with McCollisters Transportation Systems.
BBB member with a satisfactory rating.

MusicMom

Re: advise pickng a mover

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 02, 2005 7:12 pm

well, I was GOING to say that Atlas looks best so far, but the BBB thing makes me wonder. A BBB rating of satisfactory is only one thing to consider, but when they have an UNsatisfatory rating, you know they have done something baaaaaddddd.... Especially for not answering customer complaints.

But then again, we have heard recently of one agent for a major van line having an Unsatisfactory rating, and there was an explanation for it. In this case I see form Atlas' website that they gave Southwest a World-Class award in 2004, so they can't be all bad.

Call Atlas and see what's up with it. If they have a sufficient exsplanation, then consider them. But the moverpros would be the ones to give you the real tips. Just wait, one of them will be along in a moment...

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon May 02, 2005 7:13 pm

OK, at this point you have gotten quotes from reputable van lines. Most of the quotes are close in price, but the one from Atlas seems low. Usually, I recommend that people throw out the highest and lowest prices. But since your Atlas price gives free valuation, that could be your difference right there.

Since the prices are in line for the most part, you ultimately need to chose which salesperson appealed to you the most. It's somewhat of a "gut" decision. If you have the time, you might drive by the facilities and see how their trucks look. You might also start with your favorite one, and see if they can meet the dates of your move.

You have a great start for a good move!

ncservak

Postby ncservak » Sat May 22, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm moving from AZ to NY soon. This is a great analysis. Was just wondering who you wound up picking and how it went? Thanks!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 22, 2010 2:23 pm

This post is 5 years old, and the original author is unlikely to respond to you.

Since that time, Diane has arranged several reviews into the Superlist, where consumers can search by areas within the state they are leaving and get some ideas of movers to contact for in-home estimates. Check it out at the top of this page.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sun May 23, 2010 11:26 am

Where in Arizona and Where to in NY.

You might get some more localized help. There are a lot of miles difference in both states. With this said there are a lof of different agents that cover the areas.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

ncservak

Postby ncservak » Mon May 24, 2010 12:09 pm

from Mesa 85202 to Wappingers Falls 12590

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Mon May 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Call up Dircks Moving in Phoenix, They are very well recognized and a great agent of Mayflower

You can Also Call Horizon Moving Systems United Van Lines in Phoenix.

There are others you can check the superlist here on Movingscam.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

ncservak

Postby ncservak » Mon May 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Also, I've emailed Atlas Smartmove, that is recommended on this site, several times in the last few weeks and have received no response. Do you know if they are out of business?

Return to “Open Community”