San Francisco to New Hampshire

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
JimSmith

San Francisco to New Hampshire

Postby JimSmith » Tue May 03, 2005 7:07 pm

I'm in the process of choosing movers to go from San Francisco to New Hampshire. I got two quotes (see below) both are GNTE quotes from national agents.

Quote 1:
Rossiter Relocation Services (United agent)
3,500 pounds with shuttle at origin (no pack) & $20k of insurance
-- GNTE $4,000

Quote 2:
Nor-Cal Moving (Allied Agent)
3,300 pounds with shuttle at origin (no pack) & $20k of insurance
-- GNTE $3,500
After looking at the cube sheet I realized the agent left a dresser and TV off my quote so I asked him to requote with both.
Final quote -- 3,600 pounds -- GNTE $3,700

I'm leaning toward Allied just because they are cheaper. The thing that worried me is the Allied estimator "missed" some furniture and had to requote for me. I'm worried he's pulling a bait and switch. Should I be concerned? Anyone hear anything bad about them?

Also, I'm using DAS to ship my car so I'll let you guys know how that goes. I used A-1 before and they took my SUV for a joy ride and blew out the 4WD...when I got the car it had pizza boxes and beer cans in the back seat, of course they denied my claim. So trying DAS this time.

Diane

Re: San Francisco to New Hampshire

Postby Diane » Tue May 03, 2005 7:25 pm

Hi - moving professionals on this website have said good things about both Rossiter and Nor-Cal. Others in the SF area that have good remarks here are Crown (United) and Cor-o-Van (NAVL).

Nor-Cal may be using the TPG (Total Price Guarantee) type quote, which is really a Binding estimate rather than a GNTE. Be sure that somewhere on your quote it has the letters GRR standing for "Guaranteed Rate Reduction." This insures that your price will go down if the weight is less than estimated, i.e. it converts the TPG estimate to a GNTE. I don't think that there's any way that they could pull a bait and switch, but carelessness in estimating what you have could be a straw in the wind.

Please do help us out by reporting back on your move since many people ask about SF companies. Also, we're always glad to have another DAS review.

Postby Guest » Tue May 03, 2005 7:44 pm

Thanks for the quick response Diane. Nor-Cal used a true GNTE quote, they will reduce the price by $65 for every 100 pounds under the estimate I am. I'll be sure to post follow-ups.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 03, 2005 7:56 pm

Was your bad experience with the A-1 in NV with website www.a1autotransport.com? If so, I want to add your report to our Auto Transporters thread.

Postby Guest » Tue May 03, 2005 8:03 pm

Yes, that's the company. I shipped my Explorer with them. When I got the car it had 600 miles more than when they picked it up. The driver told me they sometimes have to drive the car between truck stops and that's what happened. Like a moron I took him at face value and signed for the car (big mistake). 2 days later I put my dog in the way back seat and found a plastic garbage bag filled with beer cans, a pizza box, and a baseball hat. I called A-1 to complain and told them what the driver told me. They said the driver was full of it and they never drive the cars, and they had no idea where the pizza and beer would have come from. Two days later the 4WD light came on. I had it serviced (luckily it was covered by Ford's warranty still) but the dealer though I was off-roading so it too some convincing on my part to ensure the warrant covered the repairs. I filed a written claim with A-1 but was told the document I signed didn't note the 600 extra miles on it (again my fault). Being that Ford's warrant covered the repairs I let it go.

JimSmith

Postby JimSmith » Tue May 03, 2005 8:10 pm

Sorry the two above guest posts were from me. forgot to log in.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 03, 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks. I'll post all this. Just another example of how important it is to note all "exceptions" on whatever paperwork you're asked to sign with any moving company. This includes excess mileage on autos, damage to furniture and floors, and so on. If you make such a notation you at least have a bit of a legal leg to stand on with the insurance company, although even then you may have trouble collecting. Not blaming you, of course, but someone was telling me about a similar situation today and I just thought I would mention it for future readers of this thread.

When did you ship your Explorer with A-1?

JimSmith

Postby JimSmith » Wed May 04, 2005 10:33 am

I moved my Explorer with A-1 in December of 2000. It was absolutely my fault for not noting the exception on the paperwork, live and learn. I just found this site a few months ago (due to my pending move) and it has been great! This time around I'm being a stickler for the paperwork and making sure everything is documented and spelt out in writting.

Return to “Open Community”