cross-country mover feedback requested

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
alumj

cross-country mover feedback requested

Postby alumj » Wed May 11, 2005 4:26 pm

Am moving from Chapel Hill (Raleigh/Durham) NC to Seattle in June. Have received Not-To-Exceed estimates from the following 3 companies:

1) Graebel (Raleigh/Durham office)
2) Allied (Excel Moving in Raleigh is the agent)
3) Mayflower (All American Relocation in Raleigh is the agent)

The 3 estimates are fairly close in estimated weight (Allied was about 500 lbs. heaver, but not the most expensive).

Graebel was about $1500 less than Allied and Mayflower. Any recent experiences w/ Graebel folks can share? Any feedback on the other 2 companies as well?

BTW, I am paying for the move (not my company).

Thanks.

-jim

skanthadai

Re: cross-country mover feedback requested

Postby skanthadai » Wed May 11, 2005 7:23 pm

I used Security Storage/Moving (Atlas Vanlines) just last week
& am really happy with the move.... no damages & everything
arrived on time... The quote was little higher than others but
it came down since my stuff weighed 30% less than what they
estimated!!! I would definitely recommend that you check with
Michael from Security Storage before you make a decision.

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 8:52 am

Here's some more details on the 3 movers I mentioned:

1) Graebel (Raleigh/Durham office)
MC: 158651
DOT: 220843
4234 Surles Ct., Suite 300
Durham, NC 27703
(919) 474-0525
(888) 509-6556
http://www.graebel.com/Info/ServiceCent ... ion=search

2) Allied (Excel Moving in Raleigh is the agent)
MC: 15735
DOT: 076235
2612 Discovery Drive
Raleigh, NC 27616
Toll Free: 800-699-7796
Phone: 336-299-2003

3) Mayflower (All American Relocation in Raleigh is the agent)
MC: 2934
DOT: 125563
5101 Trademark Drive
Raleigh, NC 27610
(919) 790-8809
(800) 366-8809
http://www.movingservices.com/allamerican/index.html

Thanks.

-jim

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu May 12, 2005 10:23 am

Jim,

All three are reputable movers. Theres no question about that. If you want my opinion on how they rank quality wise as "AGENTS" I would rank them All American (1), Excel (2) and Graebel (3).

Tell us this if you can cause its hard to decipher what you have.

Everyones:
:arrow: Weight
:arrow: Discount
:arrow: Services included in quote
:arrow: Time frame of move
:arrow: valuation included in quote

All American and Graebel both use the 400 N tariff. Did Excel use the TPG Tariff?

I am leary of Graebel in the summer time on COD moves but on the other hand they do have a great agent in Kent, WA.

Hope that helps,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 3:14 pm

Hey Michael, thanks for the reply. Here's some details on the move and quotes:

All quotes were for pickup on June 24, 2005. Delivery windows are 4 to 5 days, from the weekend of the 4th through the 8th. We (customer) will pack/unpack everything, except the following:

- 1 large mirror carton
- 1 queen mattress/box set
- 1 twin mattress/box set

All quotes include charges for full value on $50K w/ $250 deductible.

Here's the breakdown on the individual quotes:

1) Graebel
weight: 8000 lbs.
discount: 62%
tariff: STB-HGB 400-N (non-peak)
Estimate total: $6506

2) Excel (Allied)
weight: 8650 lbs.
discount: wasn't specified on the quote, but agent said it's probably between 56% to 60%
tariff: TPG
Estimate total: $7913

3) All American (Mayflower)
weight: 8194
discount: 54%
tariff: 400-N
Estimate total: $8005

Graebel's quote is very intriguing, but given it's so low, I'm a bit skeptical as well.

Thanks again, and let me know if you have further questions.

-jim

me/michael

Postby me/michael » Thu May 12, 2005 3:55 pm

Well weigh wise they are all right there. Allieds TPG is a binding quote. Therefore if your weight went down you wouldnt be charged for the lesser weight, but for that estimated weight. So I would suggest you stay away from that. I know they can offer a TPG with a price reduction included in it. If you can get that one, thats what you would want.

All American is definitely going to make you pay, with only a 54% discount. They truely believe their service is far beyond the competition, and make you pay for it. They are good but not that much greater then Excel.

As far as Graebel goes, I am not sure why they are so much less then everyone else. Even with the 62% discount. I am not sure what the STB stands for. I am sure it has to do with that STB or some sorts.

Your in a quagmier here. In my opinion I dont think Graebel locally is that great yet your getting a great price from them. And I dont care how good All American is, that discount sucks, especially since its not peak season for that week for Unigroup.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael

alumj

Postby alumj » Mon May 16, 2005 9:52 am

I went ahead and committed to Graebel. $1500 was too much of a difference to pass up. I went through and compared the Mayflower and Graebel quotes (the Excel Allied quote didn't break out any of the charges such as transportation, origin, destination, fuel surcharge, etc. So, couldn't compare to the other 2). But, the difference in prices was due primarily to 1) the discount, and 2) the fuel surcharge (11% vs. 12%).

One quick question: I received a not to exceed quote, and will be paying w/ a credit card. But, they told me that they'll charge 10% over the quoted price in case any extra charge/service is needed. Then, after the the move they'll credit back the credit card if nothing additional has been added.

Does this sound kosher to you? Should I prohibit them from doing this?

Thanks again for all your help.

-jim

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 17, 2005 1:33 am

alumj wrote:I received a not to exceed quote, and will be paying w/ a credit card. But, they told me that they'll charge 10% over the quoted price in case any extra charge/service is needed. Then, after the the move they'll credit back the credit card if nothing additional has been added.

Although I am not a moving professional, I don't think the Graebel agent is legally allowed to do this if (as you say) it is using the 400N tariff and you have a binding not to exceed quote. Sometimes companies will charge extra to give binding not to exceed quotes, but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about here.

Return to “Open Community”