Moving Man, Inc. - people like it!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Moving Man, Inc. - people like it!

Postby Diane » Thu May 12, 2005 3:18 pm

Moving Man is a Wheaton agent located in Manhattan (the main office is on 150th Street). Its phone number is 212-281-4300. I'm starting this new topic to bring together most of the things that have been said about the company on this messageboard so that people can find them easily.

Moving Man books long-distance as well as local moves, but anything over 500 miles is handled by Wheaton. Someone posted that Wheaton is the only major van line that has no debt, and someone else said that Wheaton focuses on COD moves (customer-paid household moves) rather than on corporate or national accounts, which, if true, is good for consumers.

I have visited the company’s two warehouses in Manhattan and have met the owner (Jon Stout) and his two estimators Vladimir and Kal. The facilities are impressive, with fireproof storage and 24-hour security cameras. The office functions are highly computerized. Jon himself is focused, energetic, personable, and very intelligent. He has developed excellent written materials to give to customers that go far beyond the basic Wheaton Van Lines package. The "Rights and Responsibilities" pamphlet that he gave me was the updated (2004) version.

There are four good comments about Moving Man on MovingScam.com, as follows:

1. “carefulamy” posted this on 6/8/04 –

My friends swear by Moving Man, but they only do local moves so we never called them [about a move to San Francisco]. They had to move my friend Johanna's couch by taking out to the back yard and over the back fence (in Brooklyn), and they did it in about two seconds with no complaining. They handled the packing and the moving for another friend, who raves about them. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1671

2. Below is a review of Moving Man that was sent to me on 7/6/04 from a person I had been advising by private message. He chose Moving Man (found them in the paper Yellow Pages) and was pleased, and gave me permission to post his comments on the open board.

Hi Diane,

I'm not sure if you remember me... I wrote you a couple of weeks ago about my move (1 br of furniture + boxes) from Long Island NY to Washington DC and I just wanted to update you on the move...

I decided to go with Moving Man. They quoted me $992 for 1200lbs. I wasn't at home on the day of my move but according to my parents on July 3, they (2 men) were very professional and packed everything and completed a detailed inventory within 1/2 hour. Although they told me they expected to deliver the shipment early afternoon July 5, they delivered at 7:30pm but it was probably due to traffic on the holiday and other business. As soon as they got to the apartment they unloaded everything fairly quickly (under an hour) to my apartment on the 4th floor. They even set up a mattress set (frame, box spring, and mattress).

I would definitley recommend this service to others in the LI, NYC metro area. Throughout the process the office and the dispatch were both very professional. I believe their minimum weight is 1000lbs. I had to pay a security deposit of $200 and the balance due was $690.

Pls feel free to post any of this information on the website that you may find helpful for other customers.
-
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1766

3. “stp" posted this review on 8/1/04 –

Overall, we are very happy with our move [NYC to Worcester, MA]. As I have posted before, we ended up going with Moving Man, agent of Wheaton. . . . there were absolutely no surprises.

They showed up when they said they would on all three days - packing on day one, loading on day two, delivering on day three. The packing was reasonably well done. We paid with a credit card after everything was unloaded from the truck. Enormous thanks to the people who maintain this site.
- http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1747

4. “Christine” posted these comments on 8/8/04 (this doesn't describe an actual move, but gives an idea about the quality of the estimator) –

Moving Man provided a quote on Tuesday, but it was too high for my budget. The gentleman who did the estimate was very honest and provided me with my moving rights and responsibilities right away.

The non-binding estimated cost came to $2,033.89, for approximately 3,200 lbs. Because the move is just under 500 miles [Manhattan to Raleigh, NC], Moving Man would perform the move instead of Wheaton.

Based on the board's feedback, I would have considered using Moving Man, but the price is prohibitive for me.
[She ended up using ABF.]- http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2217

Three people posting on MovingScam have had reservations about the company. One said that the estimator pressured her to sign on the spot - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18712 Another said that Moving Man’s quote was too high ($3000 for a New York City to Syracuse move vs. All Star’s quote of $1900) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2563 A third felt that one of Moving Man’s estimators (Vladimir) was evasive - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25424 Since then I have met Vladimir and have spoken with him at length. Being Russian-born, he may occasionally have a bit of trouble communicating, but I believe that the person who posted that he was evasive misinterpreted his low-key manner. He is an intelligent and charming person, and in my opinion honest as well.

Moving Man has had no complaints with the BBB over the past 36 months. It has been in business since 1979. Although we have a relatively small number of reviews to date, and people have had a few quibbles about the way the estimates were handled, I think this company is worth careful consideration, especially when people need secure storage and a high degree of professionalism.

KDiddy

Re: Moving Man, Inc. - people like it!

Postby KDiddy » Thu May 26, 2005 10:46 am

Just last week, Kal informed me that their minimum is now 2100 lbs. Is this true? I just have a small studio, moving from NYC to Indianapolis, and should be getting the full estimate this week. I knowI don't have more than 2100 lbs ... so I'm just making sure he didn't look at my things and give me that number to bump the price.

Thanks. This site is great.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 26, 2005 10:55 am

You're very welcome. Kal was talking about the WHEATON minimum, right? Because Moving Man wouldn't move you that distance in its own truck. A small studio would normally be around 1500-1600 pounds, but most van lines do have minimums around 2000 pounds during the summer months, unfortunately. They usually have lower minimums during the winter.

If you want an alternative and are somewhat flexible as to timing, take a look at this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4459 (I assume Indianapolis is fairly near Route 80.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:48 pm

Another good review of Moving Man was just posted by "jcrystal" on 7/15/05 for a move from NYC to Northern VA / DC area. He required packing and a day-certain pickup and virtually day-certain delivery:
jcrystal wrote:Hi,

Thanks again for your advice. I went with Moving Man Inc. (212-281-4300) as they were a little bit less than the other company suggested [All Star Moving in Brooklyn]. In short, they were terrific and very straightforward to deal with. The total price with $30k insurance came to $1647, and this included packing and related packing materials by Moving Man. There were no billing surprises at all. The company provided two men and drove my goods directly to Washington from New York. I have moved once a year for the past five years and Moving Man was the most honest and professional mover (from local companies to national van lines) I have used.

Again, thank you very much for your suggestion, it was right on the money.

Regards,

Jay
-
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4528

Also, a couple of people have posted favorable comments about one of Moving Man's estimators, Vladimir:
lpapa01 wrote:Vladamir was the estimator from Moving Man, Inc. I found him to be very thorough and professional. Showed up promptly and took his time assessing how much 'stuff' I have to move. -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5188

smensch wrote:I dealt with Vladimir from Moving Man, who was really nice . . . -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5205

N8wheel

Postby N8wheel » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:15 pm

We did not have a good experience with Moving Man on our short distance move. There was a slashing incident between the workers, and Jon Stout left a bad taste.

Early into the move into the new apartment, tempers flared between the foreman of the crew and one of the workers. The foreman slashed the hand of the worker with a box cutter. This happened on the sidewalk in front of our new building.

The worker called the home office. He did not call the police. About half an hour later Jon Stout showed up. Contrary to Diane's impression, we found Jon Stout cold and standoffish. In fact, he did not introduce himself to us at all. He interviewed the foreman, and spoke with the building's super at length but never approached us. Finally he appeared ready to leave the site, so I collared him.

As the move was running overtime, and we were losing further time due to the chaos caused by the slashing incident, I saw an opportunity to shave some cost off of the bill. As a negotiating point, I told Jon that if I were him I would take 50% off the bill and hope that we kept our feelings about the move to ourselves.

Several hours later (the move lasted from 9 AM to 7 PM), it was time to settle up. Jon Stout, no fool, sent the workers away. Of course, we had three out of four workers who HAD NOT slashed a coworker -- so we tried to get the men back so we could give them a tip. A fatal sign of weakness on our part. Stout dismissed the men and we returned to the apartment to negotiate.

Stout said "the discount you have asked for will come out of my profit. I do not feel comfortable with you tipping the men if you are asking me to give up my profit."

Had it been three hours earlier, when the move was supposed to end, we might have been sharper. In the end we agreed that since we wanted to tip the men -- three out of four at least --, we would not get the substantial discount I had asked for. Instead, we would get a 10% discount, and a big 15 minutes off for the slashing incident.

Then we asked the question that should have been obvious to us all along: how would we tip the men, who had left in their truck? "I guess I could give it to them," Stout said. My wife and I looked at each other -- we had been outsmarted. We did not trust this man to deliver $5 to the men, let alone the tip they deserved for a day's work.

This marks my second bad moving experience. I believe that you can't be good at everything, and sometimes it is worth paying other people to do the things they are good at. But at this point I am ready to move myself next time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:21 pm

Duly noted. If you look at the four adjectives I used above, you'll note that "warm" is not one of them. I appreciate your input because that is how we learn. Things become clear little by little.

Of course you were completely correct to want to tip the workers who did not cause the incident. Their income should not have been tied to anyone else's profit or lack of same. Like you, I hope that they received the money. Most of the lower-level moving helpers in NYC earn only about $12-$15/hour.

I do think that asking for a 50% reduction on the bill was probably excessive unless your things were bloodstained and that linking it to your silence about the incident sounds a little like blackmail. I'd be interested in others' thoughts about this.

Again, thank you for posting.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:27 pm

A favorable review of Moving Man has just been posted by "Sheila66" -
9/12/05 - Hi - I just wanted to highly recommend the movers I hired for my move from lower Manhattan to Brooklyn, NY - Moving Man, Inc. They were professional, courteous, honest, reliable, and all very nice people!

I was scheduled to move on 8/31. I contacted Moving Man a few weeks prior (based on recommendation from your web site) and Vladimir from the co. came to give me an estimate. He was very professional, nice, & informative about all costs, charge, etc. & gave me written info. about the co., info. on the diff. types of estimates and how they're calculated, & insurance info.

Once scheduled, I was informed the MORNING OF MY MOVE by the L/L that the current tenant was not going to move until 9/4 b/c her apt. wasn't ready. I called Moving Man that a.m. - about 1 hr. before the scheduled time & spoke to Eric, who had to get in touch w/ the drivers to tell them it was off, & would get back to me about costs incurred or storage fees, if I couldn't stay at my apt. Two movers showed up in the meantime - friendly & nice (Paz & Romero), and I told them what happened. They were really nice about it, considering they wewre not getting paid now for a move they were counting on. Eric called back later & said no storage fees if I needed to store things, & they rescheduled the move for the next week.

The next week they came, packed quickly, told me what time they're lunch break was and when to expect them at the apt. They were at my new apt. at the expected time, & again worked quickly and efficiently. The furniture arrived in the same condition it left (they are very careful w/ furniture). I was really really happy with the job they did and the professionalism of everyone that worked there. Also, they really took care of me as their customer who was in a real bind at the last minute. BTW, the movers names were Jose, John, & Moreno. I've never had such a positive moving experience.
- http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5946

Return to “Open Community”