Chicago Move - Watch out for Jackson Allied

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Chicago Move - Watch out for Jackson Allied

Postby Guest » Mon May 16, 2005 9:19 am

I would like to make all those aware of Jackson Allied's complete disregard for people's time.

First I setup an appointment with Tim Lyons from Jackson Allied on April 18th. He called me 30 minutes before the appointment telling me that he had an all day meeting and would not make it.

I should have known better, but I tried again. I setup another appointment on May 13th. Tim Lyons from Jackson Allied called me the day before to tell me there was a scheduling mishap and he could not make it. We rescheduled for Monday May 16th at 9:00.

Today, Monday May 16th, I am waiting for Tim Lyons from Jackson Allied and surprisingly, he called me at 10 minutes AFTER our scheduled appointment to cancel once again.

If Tim Lyons from Jackson Allied cannot schedule an in-home estimate, I have to wonder how he can schedule a move from Chicago to North Carolina.

Ugh, this is a frustrating process.

Drew

MusicMom

Re: Chicago Move - Watch out for Jackson Allied

Postby MusicMom » Mon May 16, 2005 10:31 am

Did you call the company's manager? Let them know they are losing a custoemr because of the salerperson's disregard for your time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 17, 2005 1:14 am

Just a note that we have one pretty good report on Jackson Allied by "monica67"--her posts can be seen by doing a search on that authorname.

drew

Postby drew » Tue May 17, 2005 10:36 am

Funny, that post is exactly why I originally called them :-)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 17, 2005 10:43 am

Drew, companies can change over time. I remember that when Monica was posting last year, a moving professional who didn't work for Jackson told me privately that Monica would be OK, but because of changes at Jackson he (the moving pro) could no long recommend Jackson as enthusiastically as he had in the past. Although this information is very vague and obviously cannot be verified, perhaps you should be cautious and at least get a couple of other quotes.

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 12:17 pm

Hi,
We are also looking to get some estimates for our move from Chicago to NC. Thanks for the names of the companies mentioned.
We had moved to Chicago two years ago from NJ, and we had used a Wheaton agent. Having a nice experience, we thought about using a Wheaton agent again. Right now, we have Advantage and Crown in the list. Does anyone have information on these two, or any other Wheaton agents?
Thanks!

Postby guest » Thu May 26, 2005 10:52 am

Diane, what is your suggestion if Jackson Allied is significantly lower in price compared to the other three quotes I got. Can they screw me in any way if they give me a guaranteed price? Can they say at the time of the move that they way underestimated the amount of stuff I got?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 26, 2005 11:16 am

Hi - I'm not an expert on this, but normally the estimator will do a household inventory listing everything that you say is going to be moved (as well as everything that you say is NOT going to be moved, if applicable). As long as your items presented on moving day are the same as the items on that inventory, you should have no problem. People have said that you can even have a few extra items with no problem. It's when you get into the big discrepancies that you might run into a driver protesting the estimate. With Allied, look for a TPG quote with a GRR (Guaranteed Rate Reduction) notation so that your cost will go down if your weight is less than the estimate.

Have you had Jackson come out yet and did they in fact come in much lower than other companies?

Postby guest » Thu May 26, 2005 2:17 pm

yeah, i did have jackson come out and their price was a grand cheaper.

Postby guest » Fri May 27, 2005 4:15 pm

Diane, so Allied is way cheaper, but they also are estimated by weight to be about 1500 lbs less than the others. I don't have that much stuff, and actually think the Jackson quote is more accurate in terms of weight, but if it ends up being that my weight is say 2000 lbs more than their estimate (its a guarantted price), then what happens? I've heard of horror stories where the driver comes, determines that it is way over, and refuses to ship unless the estimate is changed. Can this happen with a reputable moving company? What should I do? I was leaning toward ABF (which is of course the cheapest), before the Allied estimate.

Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 27, 2005 6:16 pm

Did the Allied estimator leave you a list of items that you said you wanted shipped? As I said, as long as you ship the same items that are on that list, or only a few items more, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The driver won't protest.

Also, as for your shipment weighing 2000 pounds more than the estimate, it won't be weighed until long after the driver leaves your residence. And unless the driver protests BEFORE anything is loaded, Allied can't collect any more money from you. Actually, my impression from reading prior posts is that sometimes Allied doesn't even weigh the shipments that it quotes under its TPG (Total Price Guarantee) system.

It could be that your quote is low because the estimator was a better estimator or it could be that Allied simply wants your business more than the other companies do, and intentionally estimated the weight low. Hopefully some people in the industry will come on here to reassure you better than I can.

Return to “Open Community”