Widely differing estimates

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
davidst

Widely differing estimates

Postby davidst » Tue May 17, 2005 5:10 am

I'm moving from Oakland California to Ontario. We won't have a place to move into until about six weeks after we leave here, so we'll need storage. We've gotten three estimates:

Greater Bay Area Relocations (North American): 4500 lbs., $4100 transport, $2000 storage.

Macy Movers (Atlas): 6500 lbs., $6000 transport, $1900 storage.

Rossiter Relocations (United): 6700 lbs., $5800 transport, $3200 storage.

There are two important points: First, Atlas and United have Canadian agents (and do the storage in Canada) which makes them more attractive. Second, the first weight estimate is almost certainly more accurate. We have a one-bedroom apartment and very little furniture. The vast majority of the weight is from books, and it's easy to estimate the weight. Weighing a few shelves at random, and multiplying, it's clear that the total for the books is not much more than 3000 lbs. Of course, we could take one of the high estimates and count on the later weighing to bring the price down, but it gives me a funny feeling.

Fred0844

Re: Widely differing estimates

Postby Fred0844 » Tue May 17, 2005 6:07 am

Important question. Will you be in Ontario when your goods arrive? If you are not then your goods have to go into a bonded warehouse. You mentioned that NAVL did not have an agent, where are you moving to?

davidst

Postby davidst » Tue May 17, 2005 9:42 am

I'm moving to Kingston. I was imprecise in talking about agents. The real point is that I don't know about their agent, and they haven't spoken about it. For the other two companies there would be Canadian agents coordinating the move, and they have been much more forthcoming (more knowledgeable) about customs issues.

NAVL will be storing in the US, so the goods will arrive after us, so we don't need bonded storage. United will store them in Canada. I don't know about Atlas. That might explain the difference in storage costs, if Atlas is also storing in the US (but then, United has an additional $100 "bonded storage fee" on top of what I mentioned). Would a bonded warehouse be 50% more expensive? And there's still the matter of the differing weight estimates.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue May 17, 2005 12:28 pm

All three have agents in Kingston
northAmerican = Frost the Mover
United = Capitol Movers
Atlas = there are 3 or 4 but I would go with AMJ Campbell

All three are quality agencies and have been around for many years.

I would be very surprised if these agents were not customs bonded. You only need a customs bonded warehouse if you are not going to be at destination when the goods arrive in Kingston. Other than that you can clear the goods and put the where you want. My company posts $500,000 bond with the government. Guess who ends up paying for it. Depending on the facility it is usuallly $3 per hundred pounds of weight but can vary with the city. If you have any questions regarding customs I will try to answer them for you.

Regarding your estimates, the one seems low in comparison to the other two. Sit down and have a good comparison. If you expect the high and end up paynig the low you will be happy. Do the reverse and you could be very upset. Storage in Transit cannnot be given a guarenteed price.
You might want to discuss the idea of terminating the long distance shipment at warehouse, and going into local storage at the agent. You will be paying your storage and local delivery in Canadian funds, in other words a 20% cost saving.

davidst

Postby davidst » Tue May 24, 2005 1:08 pm

Many thanks for the information. I decided to go with Atlas, and trust that the weight issue will be correctly sorted out. I still have no explanation for why one storage estimate was double the other.

For those who are interested, I'll report back on the results in a couple of months.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:23 am

David, did you end up using Macy? How were they? What was the final cost? Did they break anything? We are also considering using them out of Oakland California.
Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:23 pm

Guest, where are you moving to and how much stuff do you have?

Return to “Open Community”