Moving from Baltimore,MD to Dallas,TX

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Mo

Moving from Baltimore,MD to Dallas,TX

Postby Mo » Tue May 24, 2005 1:20 pm

I have not started calling companies yet but I have narrowed it down to a handful I would like to call. Has anyone had experience with the following movers?
1) All My Sons 410-795-6700 ICCMCC# 274931
2) United Van Lines- Greenmount moving and storage
7445 New Ridge Rd. Hanover MD 410-691-2002
ICCMCC # 67234 DOT# 077949

3) United Van Lines- Von Paris
8691 Larkin Rd. Savage, MD
ICCMC 67234
DOT# 077949
4) Easy Movers Moving and Storage
Wheaton wide Moving
107 Wabash Ave. Glyndon, MD
410-526-5275

These seem to be the ones I will call so far. Any help would be appreciated. I have to move during July (I know this is a bad time but gotta do it).

thanks,
Mo in Owings Mills

MusicMom

Re: Moving from Baltimore,MD to Dallas,TX

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 24, 2005 10:37 pm

Cross off All My Sons in MD. They have horrible reviews at the Rip Off Report.

Mo

Postby Mo » Wed May 25, 2005 8:22 am

Thank you MusicMOm. I have been looking at as many messages that I can for helpful hints and did not see that message on All My Sons. I will keep you up to date on who I am speaking with and who I use.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 25, 2005 3:17 pm

I'd suggest Hilldrup in Baltimore, they have good reviews, but then you 'd have three United agents.

Mo

Postby Mo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:58 pm

So any help would be appreciated.

I received 3 quotes for a move from Baltimore,MD to Dallas,TX

1) Greenmount Moving and Storage 7445 New Ridge Rd. Hanover,MD
USDOT 077949 A United van lines company.
Quoted weight of 4900 lbs. I asked the agent what is the weight went about the 4900 lbs. They said I would only be responsible for 10% above the 4900lbs so basically an extra 280 dollars. But nothing was written on teh estimate to say as such.
(My townhouse is 2 bedrooms, with treadmill, refrigerator coming with me)
- Packing/containers 1056.00
- Fuel/insurance surcharge 464.88
- Storage of 1400 for one month ($175/mo)
- Transportation charges of 3137.10

Final quote for just move with storage is peak time 4848.52 and off peak time 4364.30

2) Allegheny Moving and storage afiliate of Allied VanLInes
Gave me a guaranteed price pledge quoted for 6000lbs. They do not weigh the trucks.
- Transportation 2161.12
- origin service charge 240.00
- Destination service charge 270.00
- fuel surcharge 320.53
- Maint 490.00 (not sure what this is)
- ???? 106.85 (not sure what this is)
- containers 655.85
- packing 816.5
Grand total of 5060.55
Storage for one month extra 1320.00 (240.00/mo not prorated)
**This sales agent came over and sat with me to explain the rights and responsibilites booklet and how I could get boxes from allied for free to help in moving. He even followed up a few days later and left a message at my house.

3) Easy Movers and afiliate of Wheaton...
- sales guy breezed into my house and left without speaking to me very much or telling me how Iwill get my quote. Well it was mailed to me.

The weight quoted was 7350lbs for grand total of 7537.1 dollars. (inclluded is storage for 2085.29 for what i don't know)
- I was not happy with the sservice so I am not going with them.

These are all for now. I may ask another company for a quote. Please let me know what you can hlep me.

Thx. Mo

Jay

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:46 pm

I'd cross Greenmount off...

I am pretty sure they closed that location down last week...

Allied isnt the best of the major van lines out there but as far as cost goes they are usually one of the lowest.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:57 pm

I looked into Allegheny (Allied) previously for someone else and thought it looked OK. Certainly your interaction with the sales rep seems to have been good. I vote for going with them.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:47 am

Jay,

If you are in NC how do you know they closed greenmount last week. Greenmount as 2 locations in MD.

Also, on this website back in January 2004 someone had a good experience with them.

Please enlighted me.

Mo

BytheWay

Postby BytheWay » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:07 pm

I would avoid anyone affiliated with Wheaton - I moved from Wilmington, DE to Austin, TX last year and I'm still fighting them over damage done to my stuff. Whoever you use be sure to inventory all your belongings before they are packed and the minute the boxes arrive. When you sign for the delivery you are signing away your rights to anything being missing (I found that out the hard way).

Jay

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:42 pm

Anonymous wrote:Jay,

If you are in NC how do you know they closed greenmount last week. Greenmount as 2 locations in MD.

Also, on this website back in January 2004 someone had a good experience with them.

Please enlighted me.

Mo

Because I work within the United Van Lines system.

They were canceled. They were probably bought out by a different united agent but I am not sure who.

But they are no longer an agent of Untied Van Lines.

Jay

willie

Postby willie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:31 pm

This is strange because Greenmount just moved my neighbors today and they had a United truck

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:46 pm

I just had greenmount at my home today giving me an estimate. I've been on the phone with them and I seriously doubt that they've closed.

I'm not going with them for a few reasons. First, because to move in their "peak" times of late July/early August they charge an extra $25 per mover per hour, and she was very persnickety that everything be done just so. We have a pool table that has been crated for 2 of the past moves and never set back up. She was requiring a pool company come and re-crate the table and even then we had to sign a waiver that we couldn't charge them if the table cracked during our move. She wouldn't move mirrors and pictures without them being put in their boxes and was going to charge extra for lining the matresses with plastic because she said it was "the law". We're only moving 30 min btw.

I ended up going with worldwide moving systems out of waldorf maryland.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:47 pm

willie wrote:This is strange because Greenmount just moved my neighbors today and they had a United truck

My quote and the womans card have greenmount on the top and on the bottom it says United Van Lines.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:I ended up going with worldwide moving systems out of waldorf maryland.

Worldwide Moving Systems in MD (MC #271035) looks OK on www.safersys.org. Note that this is a different company from the Worldwide Moving Systems in Plantation, FL, with MC #445191, which is a scammer.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:13 pm

I've seen thie MD company's trucks around. Actually, what I mostly see are flatbeds with wooden vaults strapped down. I dont think I have ever seen a real moving truck with this company's logo. Could I just be at the worong place at the wrong time, or is it possible that this is the only way the company moves things? Actually, last Thursday I watched one truck park at a Wawa in Waldorf. Three of the movers (who looked more than able to handle heavy boxes!) went inside while one stayed behind and inspected the tires, the truck, and felt all of the straps for tightness. I actually thought that said a lot.

Return to “Open Community”