GDS/Global Direct Shipping

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
sassysuecross

GDS/Global Direct Shipping

Postby sassysuecross » Tue May 24, 2005 3:56 pm

GDS just managed to make my shipping experience a total disaster: no info re. my belongings for nearly a month; had to pay for storage while they sat in the town I live in w/o my knowing this--even though I was told, and my contract states, that I could have up to 30 days free storage in the US (I'm in Hawaii); my family and a had to live literally on the floor those extra wks I ended up paying storage for, waiting for our things; every person I heard from asked me for more money, seemingly randomly ( their so-called estimate did not include things such as fuel sur charge their business should have known about, so my final cost was about $2k more than the estimate); a check I faxed was TOTALLY altered and they took over a thousand dollars more from my acct than the check was for; movers showed up 2 days early and insisted they had to pack me up then; and the one item I specifically said was my most precious was seriously damaged.
So far, they are acting as if my experience was totally common and professional!

Sue Cross

Diane

Re: GDS/Global Direct Shipping

Postby Diane » Tue May 24, 2005 4:29 pm

I think we have enough information about this company now to change the topic heading of the following thread back to "ALERT - avoid Global Direct Shipping" - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3386

Unfortunately, my original warning wasn't picked up by Google - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3394 If we have TWO threads with the same title, maybe we'll have better luck.

DoctorIsIn

Re: GDS/Global Direct Shipping to Alert List

Postby DoctorIsIn » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:05 pm

Yes, please move GDS to the alert List. This is not a reputable company. After I get all of the legals sorted out, I will post particulars here. What a nightmare!

Burnt

Postby Burnt » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:38 pm

Doctorisin could you please give us some details on your experience.

GDScustomer

Postby GDScustomer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:25 am

Oh Dear,
I'm getting quiet worried! I hired GDS to move my stuff and have been getting more and more worried with time. They've had my things sitting in a container for 8 weeks. They have made no effort to contact me to let me know whats happening. I have called a few times and keep getting told it will be moved next week. 2 weeks ago I was told I had to first pay a 250 dollar overflow charge. However, I'm still waiting for the invoice. I'm getting quiet worried about these people. Is there anything I can do?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:16 am

DO you know the name of the actual shipper who is moving yur things? "HardAtWork" posted some questions that you should ask of GDS.

First thing first just ask [GDS] where the shipment is and tell them you want a third party to measure your shipment for you to confirm the total volume is correct. [since there was an "overflow"]

Second you want to know the name and all the contact information for the shipping company that they plan to ship your household goods with.

Third you want the full name and contact informaiton for the agent [in the new country] that is handling the customs clearance and delivery of your goods there.

All this information is normally given by a legit international mover so you should have no problem getting the info from them.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:03 am

...but what would make you possibly think that GDS is a reputable mover? They are scammers, and scammers simply don't care about the things that a reputable mover "should do".

Playing Mr. Nice Guy does not work with scammers. Explaining the various intricacies of contractual law does not work with scammers. Yelling and screaming does not work with scammers. Crying and sobbing does not work with scammers.

At some point (the sooner the better) it becomes necessary to accept the fact that you are dealing with hard core criminals whose only intention is to rob you for as much as they possibly can. Period. Then with an understanding of the true situation you can change your mental outlook along with your tactics, to be more appropriate to the actual situation.

These are NOT reasonable people, and acting in a reasonable manner with them is NOT going to get you anywhere, except deeper into their trap.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:15 am

If you shipment is packed into a shipping contianer do you have the Container Number that was on the container as you can trace the container directly with the shipping lines.

It is not common to have a container sit anywhere for 8 weeks you really need to get very aggressive with GDS NOW and get the contianer moving and get you overflow moving as well.

GDScustomer

Postby GDScustomer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:09 am

OK. It is time for me to accept that all is not well.
Tyrone, what "tactics" should be used in dealing with people like this?
Hardatwork, how does one get aggressive with a shipping co?
Thanks for your help

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:50 am

Contact the Federal Maritime Commission FMC and they can try and assist in getting the goods moving to you.

"Please call the Office of Consumer Affairs & Dispute Resolution Services immediately at 202-523-5807, or email to complaints@fmc.gov. Someone will assist you in attempting to locate your goods and ensure delivery."

Above is from the FMC's website. I would call them rather than sending an email. They are located in Washington DC so you can adjust you time for calling.

I am sure they can assist in getting your good moving to you. If you need anything thing more please contact again

Raghu

Postby Raghu » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:44 pm

Hi guys yes even I got cheated. My stuff was lying in the dock for more than a month with out my address on it so they couldn't contact me and according to them ( they showed me thier e-mails) GDS didnot reply. After a month I could trace it got the paperwork corrected from GDS with a great difficulty, paid an excess of around $1000 in storage+boat charges etc to get my material. When GDS was reported they apologize for the error and agree to pay the $1000. Surprising!!!
After again a month of e-mail reminders I get a cheque for $99. If asked the GDS rep replied that I was arrogant and I should have atleast a courtesy to thank them for their hard work instead of cribbing about the small difference in money.
What a small difference....$901....isn't it

eureka

Postby eureka » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:50 pm

Thanks to this website, I was able to cancel an order with GDS just in time before an international move. We had actually already faxed them a check (yeah, I know - dumb) when I googled "Global Direct Shipping" and this was the first website that appeared. I couldn't even find GDS's website! They are incorporated in Delaware but seem to have a phone in London. It sounds like the office is literally a storefront. The rep I dealt with was very vague in anwering questions about the details of this overseas shipment.

We cancelled the check with our bank and cancelled the order with GDS. GDS made an attempt to still get our stuff, having another rep call us to give us an address at the dock of where to deliver our goods. Obviously, we ignored this. We're still keeping an eye out for check fraud.

Thanks to everyone who warned against GDS. We ended up using California Movers Express, an agent of Stevens Worldwide Van Lines. The shipper was OSS World Wide Movers. Everyone was a pleasure to deal with, from the packers to the unloaders. We had no surprises in fees or delivery times. I'm posting a separate message on Stevens/OSS elsewhere on the message board.

ontologist

Postby ontologist » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:47 pm

I was just about to call GDS to ship my goods to Japan. But I decided to Google them. I am glad I found this web site. I am not even going to call them back. Thanks to everyone for posting. Sorry for the pain you had to go through, though.

Girasol

Postby Girasol » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:54 pm

Is there a woman from San Diego named SALINA GALLAGHER who sent her items to St. Maarten and ended up in BRASIL!!!

HELP!!! All your posts regarding GLOBAL DIRECT SHIPPING are TRUE!!! After doing further research and discovering your website, much too late I'm afraid, I want to WARN everyone DO NOT EVER USE GDS!!! I wish there was a way to alert people. It all started in April when my best friend relocated to Brasil and shipped his items. Late May, he was sent an invoice to pay an extra overflow charge of around $900.00 for his shipment or he was subject to other fees. He sent the check but only received an e-mail payment arrived. In early June, he had me start investigating and contacting them about his shipment. I spoke with a man named Gil and he gave me the run around for a month. Finally, he told me that my friend's shipment was "accidentally" shipped to St. Maarten, switched out with another woman's cargo that was on it's way to Brasil!!! I was constantly on the phone everyday, and with every call it was something different. My friend ended up returing to the States and still nothing on his cargo. Now July, I spoke with a man named Sammy who supposedly is the Manager and he reassured me that he wasn't aware of this situation and would resolve it as soon as he could, even offering compensation for our trouble once the shipment arrives safely. Well, now its September, and we are still getting the run around. We were told that my friend's shipment is now in Miami and they need to wait for the other woman's shipment to arrive from Brasil because some of the items were switched out!!! I appreciated all the information regarding contacting the Consumer Affairs of Dispute Resolution and contacting the shipping line directly. It has taken us five months just to get names and addresses etc... and now the Miami office says that my friend's container is there and they are waiting for customs approval from Brasil!!! If there is anything else we can do please pass on the information and I will keep everyone posted on our situation. I am thankful for this website and given this opportunity to vent:)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:11 pm

Have your friend contact the Federal Maritime Commission for help. They are good about getting things like this straightened out.

Return to “Report A Scam”