Any experience with Morse Van lines?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kutts

Any experience with Morse Van lines?

Postby kutts » Tue May 24, 2005 7:20 pm

Hi,
I will be moving from Columbus Ohio to Florida. One of my friends who had moved to New York state earlier thru Morse Van Lines of Painesville OH suggested Morse Van lines.

Does anybody have any bad experience with this mover? Have these guys been ever blacklisted?

Can I protect myself by getting a not to exceed quote from the mover? what exactly is a not to exceed quote?

Any comments/ suggestions on other movers/ways to move stuff will be welcome.

Thanks

Tyrone

Re: Any experience with Morse Van lines?

Postby Tyrone » Tue May 24, 2005 8:21 pm

On the surface they seem to be OK but there are 2 areas of concern:

1) There is an award winning Allied agent of the same name. The Painesville operation does NOT appear to be that company, so they might be trying to piggyback off of the good name and good reputation of the Allied agent.

2) They seem to be having some current insurance problems. Their active policies are listed as going into effect in May 2005 but are already listed as cancelled effective June 2005. And there is a long history of insurance policy changes and cancellations. Not super alarming, but I would rate it a "cause for concern".
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:05 pm

Tyrone wrote:...they might be trying to piggyback off of the good name and good reputation of the Allied agent...

First off, my father and brother are both drivers for this company, thought it fair that I disclose that.

1>The company is owned by Bill Morse, therefore the name comes from his own last name. Get the facts before you start making assumptions.

2>I'm not sure what the issues are with insurance, I don't know enough about the business myself to know. However they are fine movers, my father has 40+ years experience in the business.

You can visit their website for more info: http://www.morsevanlines.com/

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:20 pm

I hope neither family member were the ones caught four times with drugs or alcohol, and that they are both properly licensed!

I understand your defensiveness, but Tyrone brought up some valid points to consider. And Morse DOES have a pretty bad track record with their drivers, including a $4300 fine for allowing drivers to operate more than 70 hours in an 8-day period. There were several instances of underage drivers, unlicensed or disqualified drivers, and falsified log books. These are things to consider when choosing a company to take everything you own across country. Again, I hope you father and brother are following the laws. At the very least to set an example to these other employees.

Barring these issues, Morse appears to be OK. The two mentions on this website were because friends had had good moves with them.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:19 pm

Get the facts before you start making assumptions.

What assumptions? I said "MIGHT be", did I not? And I said "they seem to be OK", did I not? And believe me, coming from me that is a glowing recommendation.

Sheesh!

Please understand that "Name-Jacking" the good name of a reputable mover is a fairly common tactic of scam movers. There are also cases when it happens in reverse; a new, reputable company takes a name that happens to be in use by a scammer in a different part of the country. So please don't be offended when we point out the differences between the companies; a big part of what we do involves clarifying the identity of the moving company in question, so everyone is on the same page.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:44 pm

And lets make it clear this is not Morse Van Lines that represents Allied. They are in Michigan. This company looks to have no affiliation and is an independent.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby 23 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:02 am

They are not affiliated with Allied.

I am familiar with this company and would recommend getting an estimate from them.

Return to “Open Community”