Please Recommend Moving Company in Florida

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
FrustratedMover

Please Recommend Moving Company in Florida

Postby FrustratedMover » Thu May 26, 2005 3:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone could help me. I am moving from Pembroke Pines to Coral Springs, Florida and I'm looking for a reputable company. So far I have scheduled an appt. for an in-home estimate from Two Men and a Truck operating out of Davie. If there's anyone out there that's had a good moving experience in Broward County, please advice!

Thanks a million!

Gabriella

Diane

Re: Please Recommend Moving Company in Florida

Postby Diane » Thu May 26, 2005 4:14 pm

Hi - we can't actually recommend companies on this website, but we have a couple of good reviews/comments about two companies in Palm Beach County just north of Broward. Is that close enough to where you are in "scam central"? (I sense a certain desperation in your question.)

Somebody had a good interstate move with A-1 Moving & Storage, an Atlas agent in Jupiter (561-625-0600) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3524

Somebody else was set to get a quote from Bohren's, a United agent in West Palm. I investigated it on www.safersys.org and found that it was long-established company with MC #004368 that is actually headquartered in New Jersey. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3645

On that same thread, Tim Walker posted the following:
You may want to give the Florida Movers & Warehousemen's Association a call . . . Robert Skrob is the president and the number is 850-222-6002. He should be able to give you some names of other moving companies to consider.

Hope this helps.

FrustratedMover

Postby FrustratedMover » Thu May 26, 2005 5:06 pm

Diane,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply and information.
I did have a bad experience moving (which I posted about on this site Aug. 04). I'm hoping to have a better mover this time around.

I have already left Bohren's a message to schedule an in-home estimate.

I also left messages for these companies:

Joe's Moving & Storage (Paul Arpin Van Lines)
Griffin Moving & Storage (Allied Van Lines)
Bekins of South Florida

I'll not call any Atlas Van Lines agents, since they were they ones I had problems with in my last move!

If anyone else has any personal recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Million!!!
Gabriella

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 26, 2005 7:28 pm

Hi Gabriella,

. . . oops . . . I had forgotten what you went through, or I wouldn't have mentioned that particular name to you (unfortunate coincidence).

I don't know anything about those other companies that you list, but if I were you I would take Tim's advice and call the individual and the organization he mentions and ask for a couple of companies to get quotes from and/or feedback on the ones you're considering. You'll have much more protection on your move within FL than you did for your interstate move.

FrustratedMover

Postby FrustratedMover » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:30 pm

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to post an update on my in-home estimates and I also would appreciate advice on which company to use or not use!

Thanks a Million!!!

Gabriella

JOE'S MOVING & STORAGE, Paul Arpin Van Lines
9410 NW 100th Street, Miami FL
member of BBB, FMWA
Move Cost $945 - 4 men/1 truck / full insurance $394 (seems high)
On Safersys.org there's an x next to Exempt for Hire - what does this mean? their mailing address is also different than the one on the business letterhead

TWO MEN & A TRUCK - only company I was able to get MC# from! MC#515638
4350 Oakes Road, Davie FL
member of BBB
Move cost $1,110 - 3 men / 1 truck or $1,268 4 men/2 trucks (full ins $175)
All reports look good for this company

GRIFFIN MOVING & STORAGE, Allied Van Lines
7051 SW 21 Pl, Ft. Lauderdale FL
member of BBB and FMWA
Move cost $1275 4 men/1 truck (full insurance$235)
Can't find report on safersys.org

BEKINS OF SOUTH FLORIDA
5300 N Powerline Rd., Ft. Lauderdale FL
member of BBB, FMWA
Move cost $1128 4 men / 1 truck (full ins. $266)
Can't find report on safersys.org - they also couldn't give me their MC# when asked - rep said she's never been asked for this # before.

So what does MC# mean? why do these companies not provide this #?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:34 pm

Since you are moving within the state of Florida, there should be a state agency that licenses movers. I apologize that I'm not familiar with who this is in Florida, but MC and DOT numbers would not apply.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:37 pm

I agree with Nancy. I am totally unfamiliar with South FL--did Bohrens not work out?--and I would suggest that you contact Tim Walker to get the name of some movers' association in FL that could give you some guidance. (tim at movingscam.com)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:39 pm

Did some searching on Yahoo, try this resource:

http://www.800helpfla.com/moving_text.html

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:42 pm

Thanks Nancy. The Florida Division of Consumer Services is a great resource for intrastate moves in Florida. As Diane mentioned, another good place to start is the Florida Movers & Warehousemen's Association. The president is Robert Skrob and can be reached at 850-222-6000.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

FrustratedMover

Postby FrustratedMover » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:54 pm

Thank you so much everyone, I highly appreciate all your help.
I will keep doing my research before committing with anyone.
I will definately contact all the organizations you have mentioned.

I do have an appt. with Bohren's but not until next week.

On the safersys website, does anyone know what an X next to exempt for hire means? I'm only asking because in one of this website's articles, it says there must be an X next to Auth for Hire.

Thanks again,

Gabriella

FrustratedMover

POSITIVE MOVING EXPERIENCE in South Florida

Postby FrustratedMover » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:13 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm taking a little time out from unpacking to let you all know what an excellent moving experience I had with Joe's Moving & Storage (Paul Arpin Van Lines DOT848937 9410 NW 100th Street, Miami FL).

The sales representative Phil Cabase was always very professional, friendly and responsive to my phone calls and needs. The movers arrived on time and were friendly, professional and very fast! I even had lunch for them at the new house when they arrived, and we all ate together!

The move started at 9am and they were done by 5pm. I had 4 movers and they ALL worked hard. They were extra careful with my walls since they were freshly painted.

All in all, I'm so thankful for this forum and the wonderful people that are here to help and provide invaluable advise. I'm also thankful that I finally had a positive moving experience.

If anyone out there is moving within Dade or Broward counties, definately give Joe's Moving and Storage a call.

Take care and God bless,
Gabriella

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks so much for posting this, Gabriella. You deserve to have a good experience after what you went through before. We'll keep Joe's in mind for moves within South FL and will also not forget your posts about the "other" company--don't worry. Happy Fourth of July!

Return to “Open Community”