Flat Rate Movers - reputable?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Marsbar1

Flat Rate Movers - reputable?

Postby Marsbar1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:32 pm

I've been researching for days a good, reputable and trustworthy mover. One of them was Giant... (so glad I found this site before hiring them). Another was Flat Rate Movers. Anyone have any experience with them?

Diane

Re: Flat Rate Movers - reputable?

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:45 pm

We have a couple of reviews but haven't really arrived at a final opinion. Where are you moving from and to?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Marsbar1

Postby Marsbar1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:48 pm

I'm moving from Reston, VA to Cambridge Maryland. About a 2 hour drive. I have a 2 bdrm condo. They quoted me $1183 fixed price.

Any recommendations on other movers in the DC metropolitan area? I am 2 weeks away and need to make a decision today unfortunately.

I would have booked sooner but we thought we would do it ourselves. Too difficult though.

Thanks for the info.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:03 pm

There is more than one Flat Rate... at least one is a definite scammer. At least one appears to be legitimate. BOTH look and sound great when you talk to their sales people. Please post their DOT # so we can look into them further.

One clue, if they don't have their DOT # on the tip of their tongue chances are it's the scammer.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:09 pm

MusicMom knows about movers in the DC area, and I'm sure that she'll be along shortly. One local mover that I recall her saying was good was Beltway.

On Flat Rate, I know it's hard to sort through the posts here because when you search on "flat rate" all kinds of things come up that have no relation to the company. These are the relevant threads:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2839 (review of a local move in MD by "carrieh04"; discusses another "Flat Rate" that is bad)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3102 (review of a local move within Silver Spring by "amolecule")
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3250 (review of a move from NYC to DC with the NY branch of Flat Rate by "kate12," but contains much other info)

These reviews might help you make up your mind. My personal opinion is that on a local move like this, you run a lot less risk than on a longer-distance move. Flat Rate might try to jack up the price somewhat, and the workers might rush through the move since we understand that they aren't paid very much, but I doubt that it would be a total disaster.

Are they asking for a deposit?

Marsbar1

Postby Marsbar1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:13 pm

Flat Rate Moving in Rockville Maryland. They appear to be an affiliate of Flat Rate Movers Ltd out of New York.

I think their DOT is 488466? Their website Flatratemoving.com shows the following infor...

Interstate Commerce Commission ICC MC-254356
Department of Transportation NYSDOT-T32557

MArsbar1

Postby MArsbar1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:19 pm

Yes, they requested a $200 deposit and the remainder in total on day of move in cash, money order or certified check.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:24 pm

Why do you have to make up your mind today? Have you gotten quotes from anybody else?

I really hesitate to say "go ahead with them" since I would feel terrible if something went wrong, but I think the reviews indicate that they probably won't scam you in the traditional sense.

Marsbar1

Postby Marsbar1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:33 pm

Well I need to move on June 15, and am worried the longer I wait the less availability. I've gotten quotes from Sprint Movers, Giant Van Lines, Flat Rate Moving, and am currently on the phone with Beltway.

Sprint quoted based on Cubic of $1100
Giant hourly $800-900
Flat Rate $1183
Beltway $TBD

Marsbar1

Postby Marsbar1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:41 pm

Beltway at $1400

Ouch.....

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Is Beltway's price a firm, guaranteed price or just an estimate?

You were correct to rule out Sprint and Giant, of course. I agree that you need to make a decision soon. I don't think asking for a deposit is a red flag since many companies in urban areas do that to ensure that customers don't go with another company on moving day.

Another independent company that's considered quite reputable in your area is JK Moving, but they could be pricey.

Marsbar1

Postby Marsbar1 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:52 pm

It's an estimate - although I think a firm one. The woman i talked to said what would change it would be if I left out any significant furniture items, which I am confident I did not. They base on weight and mileage.

I almost prefer to go with the higher quote for peace of mind.....but will wait to see what JK moving offers...

I'm still inclined though to go with Flatrate for a couple hundred less...just because I am on a budget.

Thanks so much for all this help and information...

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:01 pm

You're quite welcome. I'll just say that I myself would pay the $200+ more for peace of mind. Read the MovingScam reviews of Flat Rate very carefully before you decide. Are you prepared to have the movers rush through the job, packing heavy things on top of light things as one person describes? Are you prepared for small unexplained charges to appear on the bill as the other person describes? Some people can tolerate those things and some people can't.

I'm pretty careful with money myself so I certainly wouldn't blame you if you went with the less expensive mover. I think that JK will probably come in higher than Beltway. Just please let us know what you decide and how it goes so that we can build up our database. If you go with Flat Rate, it might conceivably help if you tell them you're going to post here about the move.

Marsbar

Postby Marsbar » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:15 pm

Diane, thanks a million. I agree. I just spoke to my husband. I told him all the quotes and research I have received over the past two days. He said go with Beltway. It will be peace of mind (hopefully) and we can just move on.

I might still try to call JK, but if all else fails will go with Beltway.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:05 pm

Coincidentally, a review just came in of Beltway - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4552

Return to “Open Community”