Penske price vs Budget

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
asics

Penske price vs Budget

Postby asics » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:23 pm

Hi, looking at the posts it seems as though Penske is a much better option than U-haul or Budget. I'm moving from Manhattan, New York City, to Newark, Delaware on Friday, June 24. I have less than a one-bedroom apt, so only need a small truck. With taxes and insurance, and after web and AAA discounts, Penske is quoting me $630.71 if I pick up the truck in Manhattan, and $500.77 if I pick it up in Brooklyn. This is for a 12' truck, and I understand that I get a guaranteed truck, unlimited mileage and can return the truck on Sunday (in Delaware). Budget, for a 16' truck, quotes me $311 (without taxes or insurance), for a 160 mile max (which should be just ok). I can pick up the truck in Manhattan. U-Haul quotes $260 without taxes and insurance for a 10' truck, 186 miles, and 2 days rental and dolly. I won't use U-Haul after reading all these posts, but I'm wondering why Penske would be so much more expensive? I thought from the other posts that they're usually cheaper? Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

AR831

Re: Penske price vs Budget

Postby AR831 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:51 pm

Im not an expert but i would suggest seeing how much it would be to pick it up from NJ. Their prices are cheaper then NY and they have a location in Linden that is not very far from NY. If i were you i would go with Penske. Penske has newer trucks. I also think they have better service. I never used them before but if i had to choose i would go with Penske. I was going to rent a Penske Truck for my move from NY to FL but things got messed up and now im hiring someone. Another good thing about Penske is that they will probably match the price of Budget. Just give them a call and tell them that you have a reservation (book one online its cheaper, aaa discount and internet discount) and you found a better price at budget and see if they can match it. They will get back to you in a couple of days to let you know, if not call them back. I did this with the truck i was going to rent and they matched the price for me. Also depending on your moving date keep checking back with Penske because as long as the price goes down they will give you the cheaper price and fax or mail you a confirmation letter. Good Luck with your move!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:01 pm

asics,

Amy's advice above is good, but just to let you know, Tim Walker (founder of this website) used Budget for his own move and he's a big fan. I think he said his truck was quite new. You might want to seek his advice on this, as well as trying to get a price match from Penske as Amy suggests. (tim at movingscam.com)

asics

Postby asics » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:41 am

Thanks for the replies. I called Penske, and they said they would match if the price is within 40% (it isn't). They also said that it might be cheaper if I did a round-trip, but that seems like too much of a hassle. I'd also prefer to just get a truck from Manhattan, because getting one from NJ or Brooklyn is additional hassle. It seems Budget isn't so bad, and they have good pricing, so I'll probably go with them. NYC to Delaware isn't that far, so hopefully this should turn out ok.

Thanks

ECM

Postby ECM » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:01 pm

Just make sure Budget understands you wont be returning the truck to the same loaction you picked it up from. Penske is charging more because they will have to pay someone to bring it back NY

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:44 am

asics wrote:I called Penske, and they said they would match if the price is within 40% (it isn't).

If Penske said they would MATCH Budget's price if it was within 40% of theirs, maybe you should ask them whether they would LOWER their price by 40%. That would bring your cost down to somewhere in the high $300s. Worth asking, I think.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:16 am

:arrow: June 7, 2005 - Someone has just posted that you can get a 30% discount from Penske just by asking a customer service rep for it on the phone--no fooling around with web discounts. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4639

Return to “Open Community”