NY to FL - Moving Doctor? - help quick!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ldreamr

NY to FL - Moving Doctor? - help quick!

Postby ldreamr » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:08 pm

Hi,

My wife and I are moving from Long Island to Gainesville, FL, at the end of the month. We researched a few companies and settled on Moving Doctor (MC291203). But today I got a bit nervous: The delivery of boxes is rather late and they never called about it, so today I called them and they said they would deliver the boxes tomorrow, and by the way there is a $100 deposit. I had never heard of this before today, even though I had talked to them several times over the past few weeks. It sent up red flags

This made me review what I know about them. I checked the BBB website and Safersys. It looks like a small operation, something about the fact that they only have 1 driver/truck is suspicious. But other than that there have been few complaints. I called the FMCSA (I think) and heard no complaints. Moving Doctor's deal is cheap, $1400 (for 3000 lbs) plus a month's free storage. It was more than the $900 quote I got from someone and a lot less expensive than $3000 from American Red Ball.

So I need some feedback ... On the plus side, the in-house estimator gave me a binding estimate and listed out everything I asked for in writing, they give a month's free storage, free boxes, and their record on paper looks good. On the other hand, the deposit thing -- is that usual? -- and the lack of punctuality, the one-truck thing, and the fact that they didn't give me a "Rights and Responsibilities" handbook (I didn't know they were required to do that until today) sends up warning flags.

This company isn't on the black list, and it probably isn't on the great list either. It looks like somewhere in the middle. Time is growing short for us to change our minds. Any feedback? Am I being scammed in some obvious way? Should I go with someone twice as expensive, with a better reputation? Help, please!

Also, does anyone have experience with D&R Movers (an American Red Ball affiliate)?

Thanks,
David

MusicMom

Re: NY to FL - Moving Doctor? - help quick!

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:15 pm

First of all, if they only have one truck, how willl they make money when they send it all the way down to FL, and then back up to NY? That means you are their only customer for a week, which does not make good business sense. They would probably broker you out to another company without your consent, and without license to do so.

If they are already not sticking to the schedule and changing prices on you, what do you think this says about the rest of the move? You're already worried about it, I think you should just can the whole thing.

I have not heard of the Red Ball agent, at least not on MovingScam.com. Maybe one of the pros would have some insight. They have GOT to be better thant he Moving Doctor, though.

ldreamr

Postby ldreamr » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:12 pm

So there is no other possible explanation from the one-truck/driver thing? And what's the deal with being brokered out?

They weren't adding charges; they were just asking for a deposit upon delivery of the boxes. I'd like to know whether this is accepted or typical practice or not.

Bad timing to be suddenly finding this stuff out about the company :?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:17 pm

Hi - The Moving Doctor has been discussed here before. Please read this thread carefully, especially pages 1 and 2 - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1636 You'll see that the person who started that thread was in a situation very similar to yours. A few legitimate moving companies including A-1 First Class (Atlas) and Hall-Lane (United) had given him quotes of around $3000, while The Moving Doctor and a very dubious company, American MoveAid, had given him quotes of $1400--identical to your quote. They were offering free storage--just like with you.

Any time you get quotes that are about half of what agents of major van lines would charge, you can be sure that the companies are dubious or scammers. Offering a month of free storage is another bad sign. By that, the dubious companies usually mean that they will hold your things in mini-storage for a few weeks until they have enough other loads to fill a truck heading to FL. The truck will not be their truck. It will be a rental van or it will belong to some fly-by-night company that they have brokered your move out to. Asking for a deposit is not in itself the kiss of death, because many reputable companies in NYC (including A-1 First Class) ask for deposits. But the total picture--lowball quote, supposedly free storage, only 1 or 2 trucks--tells us (who have seen a lot) that you should not go with this company.

I don't say that The Moving Doctor is as bad as American MoveAid. I'm not going to go as far as to call it a scammer. It has been around since 1995 and I see that it's a member of the Long Island Moving and Storage Association. But I think you would get shoddy service and they might try to raise the price. There is no free ride in the moving business.

You aren't alone in feeling that this is bad timing. The same thing happened to me. I thought I had everything all arranged with a low-cost, "reputable" company. Then, foolishly, the company told me to look them up on "movingscams.com" and I would see that they weren't on the Blacklist. They weren't, but I read enough here to understand that I was about to be victimized. I remember how I initially couldn't believe that a situation like this could exist in the U.S. I remember what a letdown it was to feel that I had to start over. But I had to (I moved with ABF) and I think you should, too.

To pay a price similar to what The Moving Doctor has quoted you and still get a good move, you're going to have to contribute some of your own labor, either by renting a van and driving yourself or by using ABF or BE. I've written an article about NYC movers (see link below) if you think you could afford a full-service mover. I'm guessing that the cost would be similar to your quote from the American Red Ball agent, or a little more.

To answer your question: I don't know anything about the particular agent that you mention, but Red Ball agents are not scammers. Actually someone moved to FL with another one (U. Santini) and had a very good experience. See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1998 Another choice for your move would be one of the Long Island movers that I mention in my Epinions article. What you want, if possible, is a company that will move you to FL in its own truck rather than putting the shipment into the van line system with a long-distance driver from the van lines.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ldreamr

Postby ldreamr » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:52 am

Okay. I guess there is no way for me to know for sure, but it sounds like if I wanted peace of mind I would be better off going with a more reputable company. Thanks for the help, this forum is valuable. Whoever I go with, I'll try to post a review here.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:09 pm

I followed the instructions on moving scam.com on HOW TO FIND A REPUTABLE MOVER. I went further by following all the steps on checking the company out.

I AM CONFUSED????- THE MOVING DOCTOR CHECKS OUT 100%!

I checked there license numbers and everything is active and in good standing, I checked with The Better Business Bureau they have a good record, I checked the FMCSA where there record is also in good standing it shows (8) trucks not (1). They are a reputable moving company and not a broker. I also called the NYS Department Of Transportation everything checks out 100%

This company seems to be reputable company that has been in business for more than (15) years.

IS THERE SOMETHING I OVER LOOKED???????????????????

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:20 pm

Where are you moving from and to?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:35 pm

They're also know as Super Express Service, Inc.

The BBB record is decent. No complaints for the past 12 months:
http://www.bbbnewyork.org/reports/busin ... Only=False

http://www.bbbnewyork.org/reports/busin ... Only=False

Also looks like they have a good record at the FMCSA for the past 11 or so years:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

Safersys shows they have 8 trucks and 6 drivers, which is a lot better than 1 truck and 1 driver:
http://safersys.org/query.asp?searchtyp ... G%20DOCTOR

All in all, I can't find anything overly wrong with it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:37 pm

I think the "customer" is probably moving about 10 feet across the office to post at his computer, Jim. A typical aggrieved owner inquiry.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:05 pm

Thanks Diane - I thought so. You gotta love those 10 foot moves though. :lol:

Return to “Open Community”