Help me choose....ASAP! Please! Pretty Please!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bostontoseattle

Help me choose....ASAP! Please! Pretty Please!

Postby bostontoseattle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:06 am

OK. I have put off making a decision long enough. I have many estimates. First, many thanks to this board. I have been reading it for months.
I originally was going to go the upack route, but with 3 kids, a cross country drive, tricky closing date, etc. I just don't think I can manage it.

My top 4 for handling my large move from Boston area to Seattle are:

Ayer (north american), 20,000 lbs $15,700 includes 60% "discount"; need to request GTNE
Rainbow (north american), 20,000 lbs, $17,225, includes 56% "discount"
confirmed GTNE
Wm Duggan (Atlas), 17,500 lbs; $16,500, includes 53% "discount"
Humboldt (United), 21,651 lbs; $15,762, includes 62% "discount"

My inclination is to go with Rainbow (due to nothing but a good "vibe" so kind of silly really). Would it do me any good to let them know others had deeper discount percentages? Is anything negotiable? What else do I need to be asking for or considering? I want to book today if I can because we are now a bit less than 30 days from my move.

Thanks again for all the amazing experts. I will be certain to return the favor with a detailed trip report on the other end of this!

MusicMom

Re: Help me choose....ASAP! Please! Pretty Please!

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:46 am

Are the last two GNTEs also?

If you are already leaning towards Rainbow for a good vice, and they have given you a GNTE, then lean a little further. Granted, the pro movers may suggest something I don't know, but in the end, it's your own feeling that will choose. And if you are already liking them even though they are the higher price, then they must have been pretty good to you.

Just in comparing them to Ayer, Rainbow had a deeper discount but a higher price. Did they mention any incidentals that Ayer did not, such as a shuttle if needed, different fuel costs, etc?

i am wondering how Humboldt has almost the lowest price with the highest weight estimate and the least discount?

bostontoseattle

Postby bostontoseattle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:54 am

at 62% their discount is the most, no?

nohup

Postby nohup » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:01 am

while you have GNTEs, have you given any thought to the reality of the weight estimates at all? I didn't look to see if there are other posts on this, but what is the size of the household you are moving? I just moved a 1700 sq ft house full of kids items and what not and my weight was a lot lower than that, but I know that this can vary tremendously. However, one of the hooks that I had read about were giving GNTEs but pumping up the weight estimate to get a higher ceiling so they could manipulate from there. I may be off base, but just wanted to ask :)
Doh! Aldo got me :(

bostontoseattle

Postby bostontoseattle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:15 am

I didn't know about this either, so I asked about getting the GTNE after the paperwork was done. I think these estimates are about right. Maybe a little high since I have been purging a lot. I have a 3200 sq foot house, including two home offices. So, we have a lot o' cr@p.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:30 am

A good question to ask your finalist is to be sure they are going to haul the shipment themselves. That means thier drivers ar going to be the ones that come to your house, load the goods, drive it to Seattle, and deliver it.

If you have a good vibe about them but then another driver is coming in to do the actual move am not sure your vibe is worth the additional costs.

Also yes you can tell one company the other is offering you the higher discount. It is your money and most movers will be competitive.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:24 am

When are you planning your move? I think the question for all of these companies is IF they can still move you. If your move is in June, you need to get on the phone IMMEDIATELY. Most carriers are booked out for this whole month.

Rainbow is a good agent for NAVL. People definitely pick movers based upon a gut feeling. You got solid quotes from some very good companies. I do not think you would be scammed with any one of them, and you are in a good position to go with your gut.

Also, I would not bother to ask anyone to match a higher discount. We are very limited in capacity this summer, and highly discounted shipments will not be serviced. To be blunt :)

bostontoseattle

Postby bostontoseattle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:37 am

Our move date is July 6. I have called all four again, all have availability, but will not discount further. I am waiting for one to come in with a GTNE approval and then I think I will go with them.
One of them said they had 56% availability, but they thought that would go in the next couple of days. Does that seem likely? Anyway, I won't delay any more past Monday, when I should hear on the GTNE.

I am glad you second these carriers. They were all recommended from this site, so I feel pretty confident this should go well.
Now if only I were as confident that our 3000+ mile drive with kids 3, 7 & 9 will go well. Seven days of "Are we there yet" or "She's touching me!" may send me to the looney bin. Ahhh, all in the name of family experiences.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:40 am

We get pricing changes daily, and it reflects how many new orders poured in the day before. So yes, it is definitely likely that the price of 56% could change.

Flamover

Postby Flamover » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:04 pm

Have you considered Graebel Van lines. My sister has used then twice (company paid) and she said it is truly white glove service. I got an estimate from them for my move from FL to Minnesota this July, (6000 lbs for approx $3500) but opted for broadway express so we could save money

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:12 pm

I agree with "hardatwork." If one of these companies is going to haul your load in its own truck (I've heard that Humboldt often does this, for example), then I think that would be a strong point in its favor. With regard to Graebel, any time you have a company-paid move the likelihood of getting a good move is much, much greater than for the average Joe customer. The best drivers are assigned to those moves.

bostontoseattle

Postby bostontoseattle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:27 pm

I may be confusing companies but I am almost certain Graebel would only do a move they pack at this time of year. I have read they are a well regarded company, and I know I called them.

Return to “Open Community”