AVOID Murray's Moving or Vito's Express - Rhode Island

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ncbound

AVOID Murray's Moving or Vito's Express - Rhode Island

Postby ncbound » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:30 pm

This company came in and gave me an estimate (in my home) and the estimate came in at $3,800 - this estimate included a VERY heavy king-sized bedroom set (bed, headboard, two nightstands, dresser, mirror, tv stand) - We subsequently donated it to Salvation Army so when the move went down, all that weight was gone from the move and somehow **somehow!** when they got to NC, the total had gone from $3,800 to $4,900 (even with all that weight not present on the truck..interesting, huh)

None of the furniture was shrink-wrapped as is standard practice
Dining room chair - leg broken clean off
Expensive Antique Curio Cabinet - back leg broken
Glass to our bar - gone
My son's Fisher Price Playhouse (too big to pack) gone
Scale, laundry baskets, infant bucket seat, pack n play - gone
Corningware dishes - broken
Glass cake plate - broken

When they arrived in NC, they took up part of my lawn backing up the driveway

They asked me to stand there at the front door and check off EVERY SINGLE ITEM that they brought in - now i don't know about all of you, but on moving day, i have a MILLION things to do - not stand at the door and wait there like an idiot -

Gouged out my walls moving a big screen tv upstairs

But the best - the best part - they stole money from my purse - the money was for their tip and i had it in my bag, partially open hidden behind the couch - when i went to get their tip, i was so flabbergasted that i tipped them anyway, figuring i just misplaced it and didn't want them to leave without thanking them - but realized when i returned that that money was NOWHERE to be found and they had, in fact, taken it from my purse

After speaking with the owner, who is being so unbelievably obnoxious about the whole thing, we put a dispute in to our credit card company - thank god we put it on a credit card - all i got was excuses and run-arounds

So i took pictures of all the damages and am sending a claim in but i wanted to come on here and tell as many people as possible - do not use this company -they promise a smooth move and surprise, surprise, think that delivering broken goods, missing items that never show up, property damage and smelly, stained furniture that was not shrink-wrapped is a job "done" as promised.

Beware of this one...

MusicMom

Re: AVOID Murray's Moving or Vito's Express - Rhode Island

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:16 pm

Which company actually moved you? Murray's or Vito's?

If nothing happens with the claim in a month, let us know and I will post the insurance comapny's info for you to contact. Sometimes we've seen the moving companies not pass on the claim to the insurance company at all.

I have a Fisher Price playhouse, how is that thing too big to pack??

ncbound

Postby ncbound » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:57 pm

Vito's is the local moving agent and their "sister" company is Murray's which handles Interstate - you have the Laugh & Learn House? It is all screwed together and does not fit in any type of box at all..

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:17 pm

No, I have the old fashioned clamshell-closing Little People dollhouse. I dont' know what the Laugh & Learn house looks like.

So you hired Vito's, and Murray's actually took your load to the new house? Did Vito tell you that another company would be completing the move? This could be a case of an illegally brokered move, but it depends on what they mean by Murray's is an agent of Vito's. If "Sister Company" really means they share jobs back & forth, then it's not OK.

ncbound

Postby ncbound » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:14 am

No I knew that Murray's would be doing the interstate move - Vito's only does intrastate

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:44 am

I actually had Vito's/Murray's move me from Pawtucket, RI to San Jose, California. Although the move went somewhat smoothly (they were 4 days later than originally promised but fortunately, it was not a huge deal), I had the same issue with removed weight and the price remaining the same. I was quoted $4200 for the entire move - I sold a king size HEAVY head/foot board, oversized chair with ottoman, wicker patio set after the quote and I still was charged $3900. I was told that they charged almost $500 for packing 6 pieces of glass and 1 mirror - I called because the price definitely should have gone down if the move is by weight but it did not.

The only mishaps in my move were a few chips on my bedroom armoire and a golf club bag carrier which got dropped off at the shipment before mine in Washington State.

Return to “Open Community”