Air 1 Moving & Storage/recommendations for LA to NY move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
diamondjim

Air 1 Moving & Storage/recommendations for LA to NY move

Postby diamondjim » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:02 pm

My husband and I are currently in the process of getting quotes for an upcoming move from LA to NY. Quotes are varying wildy from just under $2,000 to over $5,000. So far the cheapest is a company called Air 1 Moving & Storage but we are a little nervous as their quote seems TOO low. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with this company or have recommendations of other companies for an LA to NY move that won't cost us an arm and a leg? Any advice would be very welcome.

Diane

Re: Air 1 Moving & Storage/recommendations for LA to NY

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:06 pm

Air 1 is on the Blacklist here. See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3364

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:06 pm

NOOOOOOO on Air 1!!! They are horrible, are on the blacklist too. They used to be Right on Time, and are known scammers.

Give us a breakdown of the other quotes: weight, discount level, services offered, and names of the companies. Also, when are you moving?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:13 pm

Any quote that is unusually low is too good to be true. Who gave you the $5000 quote, and based on what weight estiamte? Are any of these based on people coming to your house to view you items? MIf not, then toss them all out and start over by reading the atricle to the above left with the 8) .

diamondjim

Postby diamondjim » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:26 pm

So far we've had quotes from Bekins, 2765 lbs, $4700. Bluechip/Mayflower, same weight, $4100 and Air 1 (who didn't come to the apt but used the weight estimate Bekins gave us) at $1700. Thanks to the feedback on Air 1 we definitely won't be going with them. The issue we're having is that our current apt doesn't have great access for a van and we're going to be moving to Manhattan where access is also an issue. This seems to bump the price up. We're a little green when it comes to moving quotes so we really don't know if $4,000+ is what we should be expecting for a move like this or if they be reliable companies who could do it for less.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:20 pm

Hi - I think $4500 sounds about right for what you have, if you use an agent of a major van line. There are several things that you could try in order to do the move for less money.

1. First, the tried-and-true Broadway Express would charge you $2376 to move 10 linear feet (you probably have about 6-7, but 10 is their minimum). Then you would have to figure another couple of hundred dollars for loading and unloading labor, plus a possible shuttle on one or both ends (or you could hire loaders who have their own small truck). Total cost would probably be around $2600 to $2700. BE would recommend using a U-Haul as a shuttle, which would be much less expensive than a shuttle arranged through a major van line. There are 97 reviews of BE on a sticky at the top of the messageboard.

2. Call Delancey Street Movers in Los Angeles, a company that gives people good discounts. A description, contact information, and many good reviews are in this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377

3. Call Moovers, Inc., an offshoot of Delancey Street that's also giving people good discounts. See this post for details about them - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 Although that post talks about an east-west move, they go both directions.

4. Call Sterling Van Lines at www.sterlingvanlines.com for a quote. They specialize in small moves like yours and have performed well for people posting on MovingScam.com - the only downside is that sometimes transit times are pretty long.

See the following thread to see the quotes that Julie Brown got from Wheaton, United, etc. vs. the quotes she got from Delancey and Moovers. She was moving from SFO to NYC and had about the same amount of stuff as you do - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4146 Julie still hasn't reported back to us on how her move went with Moovers, Inc., so it would probably be a good idea to contact her about it. Her posting name here was "divina7."

This is a post about Moovers, Inc. that was made on www.yelp.com by Christina Joo on June 7, 2005:
Simply the best, most reliable, affordable movers in the Bay Area. I called many movers for my move back east, and was quoted MUCH higher prices. Jayson Berger at mcsrelocation @ hotmail.com returned emails promptly and came quickly to give me an estimate for the move. I am incapable of moving and packing (mental block) and Moovers, Inc (also called Matthews Contract Service) came with three guys and boxes and packed me in about three hours. It was amazing. Everything arrived in NY right on time; it was flawless. I have recommended them to friends who were moving within the Bay Area, and also cross-country - everyone loves them.
Last edited by Diane on Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:33 pm

If you value your health!or possesions!!do not move with air-1///or aka right on time!!they got their license revoked so now they are air-1 i suggest run/do not call back consider yourself lucky!! :cry: :?

diamondjim

Postby diamondjim » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:38 pm

Thanks soooo much for all this advice. Between our last post and this we've been from deciding we'll just sell a lot of stuff and drive the rest in a Penske truck all the way back round to considering a mover again. We had one more quote from Paul Arpin for around $3800 including $30,000 of insurance and a shuttle fee at both ends. This was actually through AAA who we'd assume only work with reputable companies. I did a quick search on Paul Arpin and haven't seen anything negative about them.

Never knew there was quite so much to this moving business :?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:17 am

Which Paul Arpin agent are you considering? And when is your move?

diamondjim

Postby diamondjim » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:51 am

Daly Movers are the agent, based in Orange, CA. We're looking at July 26th.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:57 pm

Paul Arpin is a smaller major, and Daly Movers has been in business for quite a long time. The common problem with smaller carriers is a delay in shipping and lack of support at destination. That is a good company to start with. I would suggest you get at least one more quote from a larger major to compare: ie United, Atlas, NorthAmerican.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:34 am

air-1/right on time consider yourself lucky :shock:

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:27 am

I feel obligated to step in and comment:

Air-1 Moving and Storage are a bunch of crooks. I moved from Oregon to NYC. The cost of the move went up a total of $1200-$1500 from their original quote. This was a year ago, so I can't remember the exact amount. Either way, when they packed up my stuff, they made me pay for tape, etc. Well they ended up using 27 rolls of tape for a 1 bedroom apartment. The funny thing is, they say packing up sofas and wardrobes with blankets is free of charge, yet they will charge you for the tape they use to secure the blankets. Of the 27 rolls of tape, not a single roll was used completely. They used more packing materials than they needed, and subsequently overcharged me for it. They delivered my stuff to NYC late, and when they got there, they said they couldn't drive the truck to my apartment, so they had to get a shuttle (which is a lie, since I've seen the 50' trucks in front of my apartment unloading groceries at the grocery store). They finally got the stuff delivered, and I received a number of items broken and destroyed. But that's not it! They managed to "lose" (I say stole, because who loses the following items packed in their original retail box?): Pre/Pro (stereo equipment - $900), Vacuum Cleaner ($100), 18" LCD Monitor ($750 to replace), Reference DVD player ($400), Bed comforter ($100), and a bunch of other things were either damaged or "lost," but are not significant enough to place here.

Either way, I hope the owners of this company die and go to hell. If this helps them lose business, then more power to this site!

Thanks.

diamondjim

Postby diamondjim » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:13 pm

This is a rather belated update to our original post. Thanks to this site we steered well clear of Air 1 - their quote was way too low, they said they didn't need to come out and look at our apt or the location despite being told that all other companies had done so and confirmed that a shuttle was needed at both ends. We're v.relieved to have avoided and experience that could've been hellish. Anyway, we went with Paul Arpen ($3800) and the guys from Daly (O.C.) turned up this morning. They were a little late but only because their office hadn't tolf them they needed a shuttle so we were fine with that. Two guys, all done in a couple of hours. So far we're very pleased with the process so we'll just have to see how it goes at the other end in NYC.

I've seen a lot of posts about tipping on this board and that was something we really hadn't thought about until it was too late to get advice here. In the end we tipped $20 to both guys (and had bottles of water and soda in the fridge for them as they were working). They're actually going to be the ones to deliver to us at the other end as well so we tried to be as friendly and helpful as possible. I guess we should tip the same amount at the other end? Assuming we're happy with the work of course. Or should we tip more as there's 3 flights of stairs at the new place and only one here?

One last question - we actually helped our movers out with some of the smaller stuff. They didn't actually ask us to but we felt a little awkward just standing there watching while they humped stuff up and down the stairs. Do most people do this or is more normally just to stand back and let them get on with it?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:57 pm

If they're the same guys, you can show you appreciation for their hard work at teh otehr end, too. Here's a thread with lots of comments on tipping from the pros.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4651

Also think cold light sandwiches, water and Gatorade.

Return to “Open Community”