Olympic [now Olympia] Moving and Storage, MA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Michelle Recourt

Olympic [now Olympia] Moving and Storage, MA

Postby Michelle Recourt » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:24 am

Hi there,
This is my first time writing to a meassage board, but after looking at a number of postings...I'm scared to death! We're moving from MA to VA and we're looking for a moving company. I have three estimates, one from Olympic M & S out of Watertown, MA, one from North American out of Ayer and one from All Pro M & S out of Worcester.

We've already discounted All Pro after looking them up on the BBB website. Olympic is affiliated with (read recommended by) Coldwell Banker, our broker, and has given us what seems a reasonable quote in comparison. Wheaton seems reputable. North American has the calendar game, and since our moving dates have shifted to the end of July, I'm sure the revised quote I've asked for will exceed our company moving allowance.

We are leaning toward Olympic and are hoping someone out there can tell us of some good experiences with them. I've already seen posted a bad one, but it seems that no matter who you choose, there are bad ones out there. It just seems to me that there must be more good experiences than bad or else they'd be hurting for business. But I understand the mentality of posting bad stuff over good. When things are good, it's generally forgotten about. Few seem to get back on here after an uneventful move and tell the world about it. I've been in the field of laser eye correction for years and am always so upset by the TV shows that tell you all about what can go wrong. I guess that's because having a segment on all the happy patients isn't good for the ratings. But I have seen plenty of them, and my husband and I are success stories ourselves.

So that being said, any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.
Michelle

Diane

Re: Olympic Moving and Storage, MA

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:29 am

Michelle,

I don't see anything immediately alarming about this company. We need to be clear that you are talking about the company with MC #288585 with website www.olympicmoving.com, because there are many companies with similar names. According to its website, the company you are asking about has offices both in Watertown, MA, and in Alexandria, VA, which is probably one reason that its quote was reasonable. It can easily get backhaul on your move.

Both branches show up on the Wheaton website at www.wheatonworldwide.com as bona fide Wheaton agents. The MA agent won a Wheaton Quality Award in 2004 (as did Moving Man, Inc. in Manhattan).

This is its BBB report for the MA branch showing 9 complaints over the past 36 months - http://www.bosbbb.org/reports/reliabili ... 0000055873 Not great, but not alarming either, considering that the company has 75 employees. This is its BBB report for the VA branch showing no adverse information - http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?natio ... id=7002446

This is a job ad that it recently placed on Yahoo - http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:5C ... =lgtech-kb

Where did you see the bad report on this company? Are you sure that you're not confusing it with a company with a similar name?

If you could post the details of your quote - how much they quoted you to move how much stuff - I would be interested. Frankly, this company looks good to me, and if your move goes well (please come back and post), I would like to mention it to others. The MA to DC/VA lane is a very important one and it seems as if this company can handle it well.

Michelle Recourt

Postby Michelle Recourt » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:05 pm

Diane,
Thanks so much for the information and for your assessment. We are indeed talking about the same Olympic M & S. I had looked them up on the BBB website and saw the 9 reports in 36 months, but had no real idea of how bad, or good, that record was. Thank you for your thoughts on that. The thing I noticed was that it seemed nearly all were resolved in a timely manner to the customers satisfaction.

We are moving on July 21, and moving into our new home on July 25th. I put that in there because as I mentioned, it seems that often movers charge more at their busier times...the end and beginning of the month. I know this is true at least for North American out of Ayer, MA.

We have a 3 bedroom home and Olympic quoted us $5,560 for moving 11650 pounds. (That weight estimate is within a couple of hundred pounds of the other two estimates we got.) That includes crating a marble table top, and moving a motorcycle as well. Also, because we contacted them as a result of using Coldwell Banker as our broker, we are entitled to an additional $50K of liability insurance at no charge. This is not a binding estimate. Do you suggest we get a binding estimate vs. non-binding?

Thank you again for making this process a little less daunting and scary! And I promise that no matter what our experience with the move, and I'll keep my fingers crossed it's a positive one, that I will come back and post it. Thanks again.
Michelle

Michelle Recourt

Postby Michelle Recourt » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:08 pm

Ooops, I forgot to tell you about the negative review I read about Olympic. I could swear that in reading a zillion postings I came across one, but for the life of me can't find it again. It was just a complaint that furniture had been damaged. Maybe I've confused it with one of the other horror stories I found! Sorry for the confusion.
Michelle

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:54 pm

Michelle Recourt wrote:Also, because we contacted them as a result of using Coldwell Banker as our broker, we are entitled to an additional $50K of liability insurance at no charge. This is not a binding estimate. Do you suggest we get a binding estimate vs. non-binding?

Yes, I strongly suggest that you get a GNTE or Binding estimate. We saw one case here where a person also had free valuation coverage through an affinity program like yours, but a nonbinding estimate, and the company gave her a lowball estimate and she had to pay a LOT more. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give you a GNTE since they presumably saw everything that you're moving.

As I said, the 9 complaints in 36 months isn't great, but if they're doing a lot of moves it's understandable. I suggest that you call the state movers' association to see what they say about the company, just to be safe:

Massachusetts Movers Association
Mr. Al Schrade
762 East Washington Street
North Attleboro, MA 02760
Phone: (508) 695-0319
Fax: (508) 695-0984
Email: info@massmovers.org
http://www.massmovers.org

RobDCtoBoston

Postby RobDCtoBoston » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:33 pm

I am also about to use Olympic. Also a first-time poster to this site. Tyrone in 2004 said that Olympic out of Watertown, MA had some scam reputation -- but everyone else seems to say good things. Any advice?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:09 pm

The Olympic in Watertown and VA is an OK company. Probably what ou saw was Tyrone's warning that most of the movers inthe Watertwon area shoudl be suspect, as it is a concerntrated area (and actually, most of the movers from there are not actually FROM there, they rent offices or mailboxes to establish an additional address there, while really being run from another state) It's the one in Chicago to watch out for. Verify that you are indeed using the one in MA.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:25 pm

Let me clarify... the worst of the various "Olympic" companies is the one based on Illinios. Then there's the one based in Maryland, which is of very dubious legal status (lots of funny business regarding their licensing). But I definitely HAVE seen scam complaints about the one based in Watertown, MA. There is no confusion about that on my end whatsoever.

As we all know, a satisfactory BBB rating can be more misleading than anything else.

I definitely recommend NOT using the Olympic based in Watertown. Maybe they cleaned up their act since I first learned of their scamming history? Possible? Sure. Likely? Not. I wonder how long they have been agents of a major van line?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:34 pm

OK, well, to clarify, the Olympic in VA is a good mover, and possibly their brethren of the north are a little lesser.

RobDCtoBoston

Postby RobDCtoBoston » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:52 pm

Thanks! Anyone else you'd recommend for a DC to Boston move? Olympic turns out to be kind of expensive.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:01 pm

If what they are quoting is expensive to you, then you may want to consider selling some or all of your furniture. If you shop by price for a moving company, you are 99.9% sure to end up with a scammer or just plain awful company.

If you are able to sell your furniture, you can then mail all of your boxes to your new place. But if you do not want to part with it, you may want to consider one of the U-Pack-We-Drive comapnies that are essentially freight shippers. They ahve been shown to save custoemrs a significant portion of their moving budget, but you have to be willing to work a lot yourself, too. Or you could hire laborers to help you load and unload. Check out the Stickies at the top of the Open Community.

Michelle Recourt

Postby Michelle Recourt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:11 am

I just realized, as I was posting for a completely unrelated need, that I never let you know about my move 3 years ago with Olympic. I apologize, 3 years late!! Our experience with Olympic was ok, They delivered our things on time. We had some minor (and less minor) damage i.e. scratches on a few pieces of bedroom/kitchen furniture. We had a deep scratch on the fender of our motorcycle and a crack in our grill housing. We also were missing a few bumper guards to our outdoor table. We notified the company of all of this, and they resolved it all in a timely manner. We got $500 for the bike after getting an estimate or two, we got $250 for the grill and they sent a local furniture person to touch up our furniture. The bumper guards we never got. Oddly, they left their tool box behind. We notified the driver (he lived in DC), but he never came back for them. The furniture repair man was very nice and did an excellent job. Overall, I would say that I was satified. I think most of the damage occurred from stuffing things in. It was a very, very, tight fit. We actually saw them standing on our grill to get more stuff in. Do I think they were stellar? No. Could things have been much worse? According to all I've read...YES!
Michelle

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:21 am

Hey...better late than never. Wish everyone was as diligent about reporting on their experience. It's this type of feedback (however late :wink:) that make this site useful for future visitors. Thanks!

Michelle Recourt

Postby Michelle Recourt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:40 am

I love you guys!!! :D
Michelle

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:53 am

In adding this generally positive review to the Superlist, I noticed from its BBB report that it has apparently changed its name to Olympia Moving & Storage, probably as a result of negative publicity about the Olympic Moving company in IL; see discussion above. (I can only imagine what changing all the signage, etc. must have cost.) Incidentally, www.protectyourmove.gov still has it listed as Olympic Moving and Storage. It also has an old address for the company (in Allston).

To repeat, the company in Watertown, MA run by Michael Gilmartin and its sister company in VA run by his brother have absolutely no connection with Olympic Moving in IL. Both of the Gilmartin-run companies have very good BBB reports as of 6/08, with 2 complaints over the past 36 months for the MA branch and 0 complaints for the VA branch.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”