Any New Thoughts On Noah's Ark ?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
voicelit

Any New Thoughts On Noah's Ark ?

Postby voicelit » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Am moving New Canaan Ct to Mohegan Lake Ny July 8. Probably gonna use Movers Not Shakers ; gave me a phenominal price on the move that -frankly - has me a wee bit nervous.
Gave my inventory facts etc to a guy at Noah's Ark over the phone. He gave me an okay estimate. Pretty sure he estimated my cubic feet at 1132 . Says I'd need 4 guys at $125.00 an hr. $130.00 for boxes ( beds and stuff like that ) , 7.5 hours ( it had taken 6.5 to move into here with much shorter ride from house to house - was also 4 guys ) ... $ 1,255.00 . It's a smallish 3 floor house to a smallish 2 floor house.
The Movers Not Shakers qoute -so far- is $850.00 flat. 3 guys. I've just sent Mark there a ton of digital photos and much clearer inventory to make sure he's really aware of the job before I accept such a great estimate.
Got a guy coming from Gold Glove - out of White Plains, think they're an agent of someone - tomorrow ( Thurs ) . He'd be first to come to the house for an estimate.
Am also thinking of giving Delancey St. ( Brewster Ny ) a try . They had been my first choice because of reviews on this site but then ( because of this site ) I was warned off at the last minute. Maybe they've fixed their troubles ? I'm a so many years sober guy ( though never jail ) so I can relate. Some woman ( Meredith ) is supposed to call me tonight.
Mostly I'm wondering what the current thinking on Noah's Ark is ? They moved us here. Was a great experience... bunch of ex army Israeli kids having a Nyc youth time. Maybe we just lucked out ?
Trying to follow the summer price scheduling : seems our July 8 move falls at some kind of good ( lower price ) moment . Any insights/

Thanks again for this wonderful site. Will eventually post my experience in order to help.

Marty ( .. and Cathy )

Diane

Re: Any New Thoughts On Noah's Ark ?

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:45 pm

Just for the record, your move looks like 28 miles on MapQuest.

The Movers Not Shakers quote seems too low. I would not use that company if I were you.

Noah's Ark, I also wouldn't use.

You're probably talking about Gold Service Movers, a Wheaton agent in White Plains. They are highly reputable, an award winner, and I predict that their quote is going to be rather high compared to your others.

Reportedly, Delancey-NY has turned the situation around under the direction of a new manager, Jason Young. See this post that I made about it recently - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377 I talked with Meredith at length several months ago and liked her very much. She gave me a lot of info about Delancey and may remember me and MovingScam.com if you mention the website. I would cautiously say that Delancey looks to me like your best bet if they can do the move.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

voicelit

Postby voicelit » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:42 pm

Thanks Diane.
Gee, there's never been anything negative about Movers Not Shakers on this site. Mark there has been pretty nice about negotiating with me. Though there was a few times he said he'd call back later in the day but didn't. He finally says , " look, Marty , do you think 3 guys could do it in a day ? " I figure - yes. What with me helping out and having the place really ready to move, and things I read on this site recommending 3 instead of 4 guys. He says , " Okay $ 850.00 "
Since then , our moving date has changed from June 28 to July 8. I felt a little nervous about such a great price and a few times he seemed to forget to call me back. So, I call to confirm the whole deal with the new move date . I try and make sure I didn't catch him on a weird day when he gave me the great estimate, tell how low I thought it was ; he asks me to send him some digital photos of my place and stuff. Sent him this giant photo essay yesterday , waiting on his reply.
They are VERY nice on the phone.
Hmmmm, what exactly is wrong with Noah's Ark ? Like I said in earlier post, they moved us here about 2 years ago. $ 109.00 an hr, 4 guys, 6.5 hours with MUCH shorter drive . Was around $ 800.00 something. Ground floor 2 ( almost 3 ) bedroom apartment into 3 floor house, acquired more ( post married ) stuff since then .

Thanks again,

Marty

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:14 pm

Hi - I just think the jury is out on Movers Not Shakers and you would be safer with Delancey.

Noah's Ark (MC #334379) has a bad review here - http://www.moverreviews.com/Ratings/86.asp - and they had a recent revocation of their interstate licensing authority. Legal name is Moving & Storage, Inc., with CEO Amit Arava. I just feel, if you have a good alternative like Delancey, why take a chance. You may have some protection if your move is considered an intrastate move, but I'm not sure whether it is or not. People have to be careful not to confuse this Noah's Ark with the one in CA, which is a known scammer.

voicelit

Going With Delancey Street In Brewster Ny.

Postby voicelit » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:54 pm

Thanks, Diane.

We're going with Delancey Street here in Brewster New York. Nice guy came here from Gold Service ( Wheaton agent ) to estimate. Meredith from Delancey Street came here later with Derick ( one of the actual movers ) and also estimated on site.
Was stunned by the Delancey Street estimate : $ 750. 00 flat rate whole job. So ( wonderfully ) low. But we feel okay about it due to their special circumstance - no overhead etc. And have decided to go with them. I had wanted to from the first but got a little worried due to some comments on this site .
The Gold service estimate just arrived by eMail in an almost unreadable PDF ( Adobe Acrobat ) attachment . Seems like $ 3,200.00 ? The most expensive proposal by far. Most were estimating around $125.00 an hour or so depending on 3 or 4 movers - and this being a 7.5 hour job. I dunno, I don't even want to think about a $ 3,200.00 move . I'm sure there's some kind of mistake or weirdness going on in that number.
Turns out there's a whole number with how people have to charge you by the weight or a flat rate due to this being an inter state move .
My wife wants to know if Delancey Street is " Bonded " ? Some link I followed somewhere took me to a site where the name Delancey Street was listed as having a " DOT " etc but only under their west coast branch not the Brewster Ny division ? Any thoughts ?

Marty ( ... and Cathy )

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:22 pm

I think that anything (such as the DOT number) listed for the Delancey Street Foundation would cover all branches of Delancey, but ask Meredith. I don't think you have anything to be worried about as long as they now have a good manager in place once again. They have to quote you either as a flat rate or by weight, I believe.

Regarding Gold Service, they are part of a van line and I think that always adds to the cost on a local move. I still think they are an excellent Wheaton agent. Do you remember the name of the estimator?

Please do post about your move to add to our database.

voicelit

Postby voicelit » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:42 am

The Gold Service Wheaton agent was a great guy named Tom Hogan. Will have to look closer at the estimate they sent us. Wife ( Cathy ) says, " Yup, it says $ 3,200.00 . " Didn't bother too much with it 'cause we already settled on Delancey Street ( Brewster, Ny ). Still, the estimate should come in a much clearer format. Tom has phoned, but I haven't gotten back to him yet. When I do, I'll post here and illuminate all this.
Yea, I'm sure all the " DOT " insurance type stuff is fine with Delancey. Like I said, all that seems fine last time I checked - just that everything is under the Overall Delancey Street organization, I quess. Will check with Meredith.
Interesting note : when I asked Meredith about moving all our hanging clothes , she told me that they RENT you wardrobe boxes . Think it was -like- $ 4.00 . I'd never heard of that . Always costs a fortune for those things. Nice feature , it seems.

Marty

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:08 pm

Gee, there's never been anything negative about Movers Not Shakers on this site

Umm... how about this report stating they would not do an in-home estimate and then changed the price 3 times...
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:31 pm

My experience with Noah's Ark was disappointing. I moved from Greenwich CT to Rockland County NY two years ago. The man on the phone was pushy. A salesman did visit my house and gave me an e-mailed (does that count as a written?) estimate. The day of the move the van broke down down and they had to get another one so were about 2 hours late. When they arrived at my house, the supervisor got upset that the estimate he had seemed to vastly underestimate how many boxes he would need. Several phone calls to the office with yelling in Israeli. They said they would work something out. They worked fast, maybe too fast since things were thrown in boxes and were a mess when I had to unpack them. (Only one item was definitely damaged but a few others had minor damage.)

They were impressively fast in unloading at my destination. When it came time to pay the supervisor charged me over $1000 when the estimate was, if I remember correctly, 700 something with a 20% maximum charge of upper $800. From the beginning they emphasized that they expected 20% tips which I could afford if at the original estimate. I barely had the cash to pay them the higher fee and give something to the men who worked hard but shouldn't have been the victims of poor management.

I wrote to the Better Business Bureau after all this who said they couldn't do anything but they were interested that Noah's Ark never responded to my complaint.

So, in summary, while I was tempted by the seeming professionalism of the pre move experience, they turned out to be classic bait and switch. I would not use them again.

Good luck.

John L

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:My experience with Noah's Ark was disappointing. I moved from Greenwich CT to Rockland County NY two years ago. The man on the phone was pushy. A salesman did visit my house and gave me an e-mailed (does that count as a written?) estimate. The day of the move the van broke down down and they had to get another one so were about 2 hours late. When they arrived at my house, the supervisor got upset that the estimate he had seemed to vastly underestimate how many boxes he would need. Several phone calls to the office with yelling in Israeli. They said they would work something out. They worked fast, maybe too fast since things were thrown in boxes and were a mess when I had to unpack them. (Only one item was definitely damaged but a few others had minor damage.)

They were impressively fast in unloading at my destination. When it came time to pay the supervisor charged me over $1000 when the estimate was, if I remember correctly, 700 something with a 20% maximum charge of upper $800. From the beginning they emphasized that they expected 20% tips which I could afford if at the original estimate. I barely had the cash to pay them the higher fee and give something to the men who worked hard but shouldn't have been the victims of poor management.

I wrote to the Better Business Bureau after all this who said they couldn't do anything but they were interested that Noah's Ark never responded to my complaint.

So, in summary, while I was tempted by the seeming professionalism of the pre move experience, they turned out to be classic bait and switch. I would not use them again.

Good luck.

John L

This is unbelivable because it is exactly what happened to me 2 years ago. In fact, I almost thought I had written this.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:30 pm

Guest, can you elaborate a little? The more information we have on this website, the better.

Also, have you or your friends had any other good or bad experiences moving in the NY area? I'm looking for information to add to my Epinions review linked to below. Thanks.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

dave

Postby dave » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:42 pm

<Bogus post removed by administrator>

Return to “Open Community”