Big Green Moving in McLean, VA / Mighty Men Moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LocalVAMove

Big Green Moving in McLean, VA / Mighty Men Moving

Postby LocalVAMove » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:47 pm

Thank you for this board.

Most of my local moves in the past have been nightmares, so it is great to have a due diligence board for moving scams.

I looked at Beltway Movers in the DC area for a local move from 22182 to 22031, but I found their $189.00 per hour for a three man crew and continually growing estimate (and hard ball sales) overpriced.

Others were advertising about 1/2 that hourly rate for a local move, but they seem like potential scammers or rookies.

I contacted Big Green Moving (http://www.biggreenmoving.com) in McLean, VA and asked for references, and they promised them this afternoon, but I have not received them. They charge around $150 per hours for a three man crew.

I found a thread on this board about BGM, but there was no final reference, just some initial due diligence about the company.

Anyone ever moved with this outfit?

John

MusicMom

Re: Big Green Moving in McLean, VA

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:06 pm

In what way dids you find Beltway's sales tactics "hard ball"? Did they say they were pretty full and needed an immediate answer? If so, I believe it! I have seen four moving trucks on my street this week. Busy time.

Be wary of shopping solely by price. I do not see anything in Big Green's record that concerns me, however, their quote is significantly lower. How can they make a profit if they are charging $40 less per hour? Are they paying everyone's workman's comp as they should be?

A mover that has had several good local move reviews, but has been pricey, is JK Moving. They work with Thomas AAA, after a merge last year..

LocalVAMove

Postby LocalVAMove » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:22 pm

Laughing out loud, they make a profit because of the labor rates they pay their movers, and I doubt it is $60 per hour, or even $40 per hour; and if I was shopping "just on price" I would have picked one of the $89 per hour three man crews in our NoVA area :D

To reply, I found Beltway tactics to be "hard ball" for a number of reasons, which I will not go into, since I'm not planning on using Beltway for this move.

I hope that someone has actually moved with Big Green, so I can get a reference!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:49 pm

They have only been mentioned once before in this thread:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=green

I would suggest you personally visit them and check out the facility.

In regards to price and Beltway, I can tell you this: they are obviously very good at what they do. Most movers work off referrals and repeat business. If they are able to stay in business at that rate, then people are happy with their moves and return to them again and again. I often get the same question from customers in my market. We are higher than our competition. Why? Our employees get paid overtime, health insurance, 401k, holidays and vacations. While that may seem like it doesn't matter to you, it really does. It creates a moving company a cut above the competition. Good movers want to work here and stay here. They take pride in their work and provide an excellent service to our customers. They are worth the price, and our immense repeat and referral business shows us that daily.

You are the only one who can determine if your goods need high end service.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:04 pm

LocalVAMove wrote:. . . they make a profit because of the labor rates they pay their movers, and I doubt it is $60 per hour, or even $40 per hour . . . I hope that someone has actually moved with Big Green, so I can get a reference!

In NYC, probably a comparable area, owners of small moving companies told me that they routinely pay their drivers in the range of $15-$20/hour and helpers in the range of $10-$15/hour, depending on experience. Sometimes during the busy season they hire inexperienced helpers such as college students at around $7/hour. They charge the customer about $30/hour per helper plus $30/hour for the truck, because one is usually needed to carry not only the helpers but the moving equipment such as dollies and ladders.

So a three-man crew and truck would cost $120/hour at some companies I'm familiar with in NYC. I would say that the DC-VA movers described above seem to be raising the price a little because of the high demand right now. I myself paid about $38/hour per helper in a major city two summers ago.

Unfortunately, nobody has used Big Green and come back to report to us.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:27 pm

If you do go visit their facility, would you tell me what it's like? i'm trying to keep tabe on good or bad movers in the metro area.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:41 pm

Well,

Big Green Movers called me after scheduling a move date, told me they "overbooked" and cancelled my move! Naturally, I had scheduled many things around the move date, so this created quite a problem.

Then, trying to be helpful, Big Green Movers referred me to "Mighty Men" who scheduled me, until I asked to see a certificate of insurance, then he say, "sorry I just realized we can't move you that day," and laughed.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in Big Green Movers and would not recommend them to anyone.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:02 pm

I'm sorry that happened to you. But good call on Mighty Men! They do not have an interstate license although they may have an Intrastate one. If they did have insurance, they would have had no problem giving it to you. Any ideas on who you may call now? Can you aks if Beltway's estimate would still be good? Did you try either of the names I mentioned earlier?

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Big Green recently moved my family from Arlington to Charlottesville. They were priced well, on-time in all facets, including showing up to move, amount of time needed to load, showing up to unload, and time to unload. Flat-rate pricing for the move did not change, even though we had many more boxes than they anticipated. I highly recommend them. I believe that their price is better because they are young and trying to make a name.

JB

washingtondc05

Postby washingtondc05 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:24 pm

I decided to look up my last mover (Big Green Moving) on this website. I am shocked that anyone had a less than stellar experience with them. I and at least five of my colleagues (all attorneys) have used Big Green, and we have all had nothing but great experiences with the company.

This sounds like the previous poster is difficult and hard to please. In which case no one would be good enough for him.

J

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:33 pm

This sounds like the previous poster is difficult and hard to please. In which case no one would be good enough for him.

Excuse, me, but this is uncalled for. Unless you know the poster personally, you cannot make this assumption.

Liz

Postby Liz » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:22 am

I used Big Green last year and everything was fine except that they lost the legs to an antique table (we had removed the legs and bundled them). To this date I STILL have not treceived the insurance claim form as promised by Allison, the owner's wife. I am trying to contact them again now. Because of this I would not recommend them again.

Liz

A.M.

Postby A.M. » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:22 pm

We had a fabulous experience with Big Green Moving for intercity move. The crew was great, practically running back into the after dropping off each load into the truck. The dealt with our barking dog and no air conditioning. They were on time, and extremely nice, they actually made the move easier than I thought it would be.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:26 pm

So there's some good, and some bad reviews of Big Green. Given those odds, I would say they may be worthy of an estimate, but must be compared with scrutiny to the other movers with more good reviews. I will nto say to avoid them entirely, though.

Would anyone care to give more details about their move, for future customers? Dates, how many men were needed for what size move it was, did the pricing plan stick to the promise, etc?

InsiderT

Postby InsiderT » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:30 pm

Not to sound cynical, but I don't suppose Tim has this forum set up to track a poster's IP Address?

*wink*

:twisted:

Return to “Open Community”