Allways Movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
AME

Allways Movers

Postby AME » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:57 am

I am moving at the end of June 2005. In shopping around for movers, I interviewed Allways moving & storage, 85 Grand St., Kingston, NY 12401,
which also came up "Exodus moving" on my caller ID.

The person who came to estimate the weight told me that the move HAD to be in two parts: (1) a local move into storage for two and a half thousand dollars that MUST be paid on pick up (flag) and (2) a long distance move that would be accomplished by Paul Arpin van lines out of Connecticut, a carrier for whom there was no hard copy contractual representation.

He estimated the weight at 21k pounds and said that he believed that the long distance move would be around eleven thousand dollars but that he would have to call me back the next morning at ten o'clock. The other carriers were offering .30 cents and .36 cents per pound.

The next morning he did not call back (flag) and I had to call his office. His usually perky secretary (who had said that I could have up to one month free storage if i needed it) was sullen and unwilling to answer any questions (flag) and kept referring me to the man who did the estimate (one of two owners of the local moving company.) I asked that he call me back because I wanted to ask him about the contract type being offered.

He did call a while later, and told me that, actually, the prices had gone up. The local move was now three thousand dollars, and the long distance move would be around thirteen thousand dollars... or more (flag). This would be about .50 cents per pound. THEN he told me that this included a 60% discount!!!!

I got the distinct impression that he wanted to lose me because I was asking too many questions.

He also told me that a person whom I knew two doors down had used Allways two years earlier. That she had moved to Florida, but for some reason, once she got her belongings into their short term storage then decided to rent a truck and take her belongings the rest of the way by herself (flag). I wonder what happened to make her change her mind mid-move and go it the rest of the way on her own...? :?

Diane

Re: Allways Movers

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:26 pm

Hi - you may be right that there is something wrong with this company, but I just want to say that according to their website at www.allwaysmovingandstorage.com they are in fact an agent for Paul Arpin Van Lines. If you search on their DOT #512351 you can see their record on www.safersys.org. Basically it looks OK.

I'm a little concerned that you're talking about rates per pound. That isn't the way to select a moving company. You have a very large shipment and I'm concerned that you may be choosing on price and possibly falling into the hands of a scammer. If you would like to tell us what company you're moving with, we'll be glad to give a thumb's up or down.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:46 am

Dear Consumers,
My name is Paul T. Benkert and I am one of the owners of Allways Moving & Storage in Kingston, New York. I do not recall the shipper in question, but I will say that our reputation is excellent. :D Over 60 % of our moves are from referal or former customers. Please check us out through the NYSDOT #T12341 800-786-5368 and also on thee BBB web site www.bbb.org. Diane's comment regarding Exodus Movers is easily explainable. In 1997 we bought a local company called Exodus Moving. We have kept their phone number for obvious reasons and to continue to provide our excellent service. All paperwork contracts and licensing Insurance as well as how we answer our phones is Allways Moving and Storage. I would assume this shipper needed either an extended delivery or her home in Kingston area was not accessible for a tractor tralier for easy access. In that case we would have to provide a shuttle service, or local move(using A smaller truck). I dont feel it's unreasonable to ask for payment for services provided after services have been rendered. Delivery in Calf, would have been paid at that time. We never ask for any monies up front nor do we require deposits on moves. If anyone has any questions regarding our services please feel free to contact me directly. I will be more then happy to speak to you. 1-800-253-0657. These sites are valuable to all cosumers and we strongly suggest our consumers check them regularly. It's in all our paperwork when I personally go to a shippers home for an estimate.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:02 am

(2) a long distance move that would be accomplished by Paul Arpin van lines out of Connecticut, a carrier for whom there was no hard copy contractual representation.

Guest, did they tell you that Paul Arpin Van Lines is out of Connecticut, or was it the agent for Paul Arpin that would be transporting your shipment?

Reason being is that Paul Arpin is headquartered in West Warwick, Rhode Island. Paul Arpin Van Lines

Private Company, Headquarters Location
99 James P. Murphy Hwy., West Warick RI 02893, United States
(401)828-8111, (401)821-5860 fax, http://www.arpin.com

$2500 seems a little low for a 21,000 lb shuttle, unless they are discounting heavily. Ah, I see that they did bump it up after the fact.

As for the person who removed her things from storage, and transported them herself, that is not unusual when shippers do research and find that a lot of times they can do it themselves for a lot less money. Even when hiring help to load and unload they still have a substantial savings.

You didn't mention where you're moving to, even though Mr. Benkert mentioned Calif. The one thing I must caution you is that Paul Arpin is well represented on the East Coast, but in California there aren't a whole lot of Arpin agents anymore.

You might consider getting in home estimates from a couple of other carriers as well.

Be sure to check the thread on this site on how to select a mover.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:25 am

The original post was from June of last year, so i don't think they'll be coming back. :wink:

The comment of Exodus Moving coming up on Caller ID was from the original poster, not Diane.

Paul, I see your company does have a good reputation.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:39 am

Well blame my recent surgically repaired eye musicmom.. lol

wasn't looking at the date of the original poster.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:42 am

No, no, amusing moments like these are nice. :wink:

Return to “Open Community”