Estimate from North American - Please Help!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Katari

Estimate from North American - Please Help!

Postby Katari » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:40 pm

I just got my in home estimate from North American Van Lines. Now I'm confused as hell. I received a non binding estimated cost of $3700.00 from CA to NY. This is based on 4,000 lbs. and 604 cu. ft. He said the truck will be weighed prior and after and that I will pay the actual weight of the shipment. This estimate also includes $216. for valuation??? That part threw me off. He said there was 0 deductible. And the only other extra cost was to pack the full size mattress and boxspring into boxes at 33.15, which is also included in the estimate.

I received an estimate from Mayflower as well for about the same amount.

How does this sound to you? These are the top moving companies, so should I still be worried? Should I just go with American Van Lines? Am I being blind? :lol: I need to wrap this up soon because I want to move the week of July 11. Please help!

Nancy

Re: Estimate from North American - Please Help!

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:42 pm

Which agency was it?

You need to call him back and demand a GNTE price, guaranteed not to exceed.

Valuation is the optional coverage on your goods. YOu also have options of deductibles $250 or $500. He should have given you a rate sheet showing various rates and cost levels.

Katari

Postby Katari » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:48 pm

The agency is: Burgess North American - 300 Lincoln St. - Banning, CA....CAL-T-78009

I asked him about the GNTE at the time he was writing up my estimate and he said he doesn't do that. Is it is choice? Is he required to if I ask him for it? This is the part I'm not understanding. No, he didn't give me a rate sheet. Oh joy!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:01 pm

He has a choice not to offer it, and you have a choice not to move with him!

Moving is very competitive. We would love to say "no" to GNTE's, but then we'd never book a move. In turn, about 90% of our quotes are GNTE's.

That being said, Burgess has been in business a very long time and has a good reputation. I'd just tell him you will not book without a GNTE. Don't be surprised if he bumps the weight a bit in order to make a GNTE.

InsiderT

Postby InsiderT » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:16 pm

This is based on 4,000 lbs

Someone came to your home, right?

includes $216. for valuation??? That part threw me off.

Valuation is a form of protection for your items. It's not really insurance (US companies need special licenses to sell anything under the label "insurace") but it provides you with some monetary compensation in the event your items are damaged, lost, etc.

As for GNTE, Nancy is 100% correct. As a side note, if the weight is not based on someone coming to visit your home, it may be the reason the company is refraining from offering the GNTE. If they did send someone to see the home, then there is no reason that I can think of not to offer it.

Katari

Postby Katari » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:46 pm

Oh, I thought I was clear when I said in home estimate in my original post. Yes, someone came to my home, went from room to room with his little scanner and calculated everything.

Is the additional valuation needed? The estimate is providing basic coverage at .60 per pound.

Yeah, he does seem reliable. He was an older gentleman, the general manager of 3 Burgess locations, and says he's been in the business for 30 years.

So, should I say something to the effect of, I'll use your services only if you provide me with a GNTE estimate?

I have two more major players coming Monday, United and Bekins. I couldn't get Mayflower to come over because they said they reached their cutoff date for moves up to July 19? All the other companies say they can do it. Hmmmm.

Well, thank you again for educating us clueless individuals, so we can face these moving companies with some tools and knowledge in hand :D

blue

Postby blue » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:26 am

Is the additional valuation needed?

Valuation is an important component of every move, yet sadly, one of the least understood (by moving 'experts' as well as consumers). Every customer has the opportunity and responsibility to declare the maximum value of liability for loss or damage they wish for the carrier to assume.
The contract you sign with your mover provides (2) options for placing a value on your shipment. The value that you select sets the limit of your mover's maximum liability. Either 1) Full Replacement Value Protection, which comes with various costs, depending on the level of deductible selected by the customer, or 2) released value of 60 cents per pound per article, which is provided at no cost and only provides minimal protection. Under the 60 cents per pound option the mover assumes liability for no more than 60 cents per pound per article for loss or damage. These optional levels of liability are not insurance agreements that are govered by state insurance laws (as already pointed out by InsiderT), but instead are authorized under Released Rates Orders of the Surface Transportation Board of the US Department of Transportation. You must select one or the other prior to move date. Each mover you interview should be providing you a detailed explanation of valuation and your requirements.

I'll use your services only if you provide me with a GNTE estimate?

Insist on a GNTE.

I have two more major players coming Monday, United and Bekins. I couldn't get Mayflower to come over because they said they reached their cutoff date for moves up to July 19? All the other companies say they can do it. Hmmmm.

United and Mayflower are both part of the Unigroup umbrella and will likely have the same registration restrictions (volume cutoffs). However, that doesn't mean an agent couldn't self haul a shipment inside the posted cutoff dates. Please post any updates.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:23 am

In regards to cut off dates, that is very valid. North American is cut off until July 12th. Mayflower has been booking up a bit quicker that NAVL.

However, whoever you choose, I would determine by the middle of next week. I know you are waiting for the two quotes on Monday.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:44 pm

North American actually is not officially cutting off any days. Their pricing (discount level) is based on capacity. Check every movers discount level. If you get a discount level that is suspicously high for the summer(like 65% or 66%) proceed with caution. Unfortunaltely, you get what you pay for.

Also, definitely go w/ the GNTE and the additional valuation (even if it is the $500.00 ded).

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:48 pm

Yes, NAVL isn't technically cutting off, but the 45% discount offered on cut off days is completely unrealistic in the COD market. Consumers aren't going for it.

Katari

Postby Katari » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:52 pm

Well, NAVL refuses to give me a GNTE. I spoke to Don, the man who came over my house, and he says he never gives GNTE estimates. He said there's not that much difference and that I'm only going to be paying for the exact weight anyway. I don't get it. Great company, great reviews, 30+ years experience, and he won't give me a GNTE estimate. He saw everything I was shipping. I asked him about his cut off, but he said he's fine and that July 11 was open. I also saw his little discount chart, the dates I wanted are at 60% discount.

Bekins and United both called me today saying that if I want to move on the 11th, then I have to decide by tomorrow because Monday is their cutoff dates. Bekins gave me a phone quote (just out of curiosity and based on the weight info NAVL had given me) it was $600 higher. United did the same and they came in at the same price as NAVL. United told me that all they give are GNTE estimates, and Bekins said they would provide me with one too after coming to see my stuff.

I'm having United come by on Monday to give me an estimate. As it stands, I'm going to delay my move for another week so as to have a chance to get other estimates. Am I being too paranoid and anal? Should I just go with NAVL?

Could someone also explain to me what could happen with the non binding estimate? He's got me at 4000 lbs., which is a bit over. So is the reason to avoid a non binding estimate because after they take my stuff to the scales, they can lie and say I have 6000 lbs. instead and make me pay the difference at delivery in order to get my stuff?

So, Mayflower, Bekins and United are all pretty much filled up and need an answer by tomorrow. But NAVL is available??? Is that a good thing? Should I just cross out NAVL?

Am I asking too many questions? :)

Tired of being screwed EC

Postby Tired of being screwed EC » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:01 pm

[You need to call him back and demand a GNTE price.
about 90% of our quotes are GNTE's
the 45% discount offered on cut off days is completely unrealistic in the COD market.] Wow if the Canadian mafia aint bad enough. Your drivers must love you.
{Well, NAVL refuses to give me a GNTE. I spoke to Don, the man who came over my house, and he says he never gives GNTE estimates. He said there's not that much difference and that I'm only going to be paying for the exact weight anyway. }
Just ask for a FREE reweigh and WITNESS it.
He proabably just wants to make sure his company and drivers get paid for every pound they lift. Go figure he has the nerve to want a honest days pay for an honest days work.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:14 pm

And go figure that consumers want a realistic estimate and don't want to wonder what their driver is going to tell them that the cost was bumped up to after pickup! Good lord... some people don't get it.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:38 pm

Oh I get it allright Tim, however. Thier are two sides to everything. As a customer I would not want to find out my cost had drastically increased either. As driver I would not want to pay people, or myself to load hundreds or THOUSANDS or pounds of furniture for free. So until that day when salespeople can estimate exactly correct (even my estimates are off sometimes) I say get the rate and witness the weighing.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:00 pm

Guest,

You know who I am, where I work, and how to get ahold of me. Why not register for an account here so we're on an even playing field?

I do agree with you that drivers and loaders shouldn't have to do work that they aren't paid for. This is a consumer site, however, so you should know that everyone here is going to look out for them first. Consumers should get GNTE estimates first and foremost. I also agree with you that consumers should be present for the weighing. Definitely good advice!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Return to “Open Community”