golan's moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
PGB

golan's moving

Postby PGB » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:51 pm

I would just like to now if Golan's in Chicago is a reputable company. I checked their DOT# on the SAFER website and it checks out.
Thanks,
Peter

Diane

Re: golan's moving

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:17 pm

If you use the Search button above and input "Golan's" as a keyword you'll see that there are number of threads mentioning the company. Here is one of them - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1537 (first 2 pages). They have a very large number of BBB complaints--24 over the past 36 months--and they quote by cubic feet; both are red flags. If you want to post where you're moving to and how much stuff you have, we may be able to suggest better alternatives.

PB

Postby PB » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:34 pm

Diane,
Thanks for your advice. I live in Chicago and am moving to a different neighborhood, approximately seven miles away. I don't have much stuff just a bed, couch and tons of books. A friend of mine reccommended them to me. They said they had a great experience and recommend Golan to all their friends. The price they quoted was $122 per hour with a sixty dollar traveling fee. Does this seem fair? Since I am moving on July first I don't have much time.
Thaks,
Peter

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:44 pm

Hi - Golan's has been MUCH discussed here, and if you go through all the threads that come up on a search you'll see that in the past I've told people that they were probably OK for a local move. Your quote is in the ballpark, depending on how many guys they're going to send (I would guess 3 for that price). There's actually someone else in Chicago looking for the same type of mover on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4953 You might want to sign up for membership and send him a Private Message to compare notes.

Bec

Postby Bec » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:11 pm

I've read all of the past threads on Golan's moving, but I am having trouble discerning whether the information posted is outdated or not. Golan's came to my house to do an inventory, they gave me a binding estimate. They quoted both weight and volume (although they said they base transportation cost on volume, they wrote "see inventory list"). Also, their insurance, MC, and DOT checks out now. Yes, they had their insurance revoked --nearly 9 years ago. Also, the estimator wrote on the estimate that they are using tariff 25B359MC-C, section 400N. My understanding is that this is the ideal tariff. If the estimate is binding, what can possibly go wrong? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:32 pm

A lot can go wrong with a binding estimate if it's given by a disreputable company. The company can easily say that you have more cubic feet or more items and that this voids the binding estimate. You have no protection when you move interstate, regardless of what's written or not written. In the event of a dispute the police will not help you.

With the current legal situation in this country, the only thing you can rely on in interstate moves is the ethics of the owner of the company as reflected in its complaint history and so on.

This is a quote from Golan's BBB report that I referred to above:

The Bureau processed a total of 24 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 24 complaints closed in 36 months, 7 were closed in the last year.

These complaints concerned:

5 Delivery,
1 Service / Repairs,
1 Warranty / Guarantee,
2 Product Quality,
3 Unfulfilled Contract,
10 Customer Service, and
2 Credit or Billing Issues.

They were closed as:

1 Resolved,
10 Assumed Resolved, and
13 Administratively Judged Resolved.

This is too many complaints.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:43 pm

Thanks for your reply, Diane.I called them back today and the consultant said that he would be willing to write me a "binding estimate NOT TO EXCEED" based on the inventory list he created. That seemed encouraging. With respect to the 24 complaints made, don't we have to take that in the context of how many moves we're talking about? 24 out of 20,000 is not so bad. Also, they received an award from Angieslist in 2004 for superior service.

I'm just frustrated because it seems like the more I dig, the more negative info I find out about all the companies I consider. It makes me want to stop digging. I mean, realistically, am I EVER going to find a place with an unblemished record? Or is the best I can hope for that is that the good outweighs the bad?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:40 pm

Where did you get the 20,000 figure? The IL Commerce Commission lists about 5400 intrastate moves (moves within IL) in 2004. They don't keep track of interstate moves, but I think it would be unusual for an independent company like Golan's to have so many more interstate than intrastate moves.

Since Golan's says it has only 18 trucks on www.safersys.org, if it did 20,000 moves in 2004 that would mean that each truck did more than 3 moves every single day of the year including weekends. That doesn't seem possible.

People who have actually worked in the industry in Chicago have made bad comments about the company, at least for interstate moves. All I can tell you is that I myself wouldn't use them, but it's up to you.

Out of curiosity, why are you so interested in using them? There are many other companies with better reputations for interstate, such as Planes, Armstrong, and All Chicagoland among United agents, Prager (North American), and Nelson Westerberg (Atlas).

phantom

Postby phantom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:56 am

diane.....stop trying to bury the independent movers......most of them are hard working individuals that probably do a better job than the national agents......but iot seems that you have a mouth full of cum from these nationwide agents and broadway express....stop disrespecting the little guy and trying to put them out of business....

GET UP OFF YOUR KNEES AND STOP ASSFUCKING THE BIGWIGS OF THE INDUSTRY.....

everyperson in america deserves to make money......you are trying to take that away....Freedom in America...HA HA HA....not if its up to diane...this would be a communist state where only the rich get richer....well guess what diane....in a communist state you'd be giving up the ass as if you were in jail, and then swallowing......b**ch

Don't Shoot

Postby Don't Shoot » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:19 am

Phantom, is that your company motto? You must sign up a ton of business...

If you had a fiber of decency or ethics in your greasy, sleezy body, you'd know exactly how wrong you are...

I worked on the trucks and in the office of a very good independent, but I'm assured that you're not in that class...

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:21 am

To the other moderators of this website:- instead of deleting this obscene, illiterate screed, I recommend that we leave it up as an excellent example of "desperation time" scammerspeak. Any later posts can be deleted and his computer blocked.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:24 am

Okay, I was just in the process of removing it. I'll leave it up.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:25 am

I just hope that it wasn't authorized or commissioned by Golan's, because that would be the last nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned.

phantom

Postby phantom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:41 am

aahhh.....diane.....so you spitout your latest mouthload from the corporate bigwigs and have answered.....I agree wholehgeartedly with what Mr. Walker is doing.....which is to remove the vile scammers out of this business, but diane, it is only a handfull of people that are causing this mess, as an example, take the case of the owner of Majesty Moving in FL, what ever his name may be, He had numerous names, all in all acting on the raw eomotions of the stress that is moving time.....did he get what he deserves......definetely......but should you go around and bad mouth small companies in favor of larger outfits or your beloved Broadway Express...THE ANSWER IS NO....

There are indeed hard working americans that own some of these small companies, that are trying to make a living and feed their family the legitimate way, by owning their share of the corporate world that is america.....This site contends that it does not recommend moving companies.....but every day, day in and day out all you seem to do is recommend Broadway Express or Allied agent this, or North American Agent that.....

I agree with what Tim and Tyrone and all the rest of you are doing but as a second generation mover.....my father was doing this before you guys knew what a dolly was, suffering through the deregulation of the trucking industry by hoffa and those before him that tried to scare the "little guy".....but as for you diane shutting down the little guys is as anti-american as what these bastards are doing by robbing every customer....

By the way charging by "Cubic Feet" is actually legal as long it is published in your tarrif....

So please continue to fight the good fight, but stop blasting the little guys...because its the little guys that grow in the agents of tommorow, or some that just do not wish affiliation, but rather work and establish their own name....by doing what is right my the customer

Thank You.........

Don't Shoot

Postby Don't Shoot » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:50 am

Look everyone, it's Dr. Jackyl / Mr. Run-n-Hyde; Phantom, just stop posting and split...you're an idiot.

[Moderator's Note by Diane: I have blocked "phantom's" computer and locked this thread. The original poster can start a new thread if he wants.]

Return to “Open Community”