What about Mayflower?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LauraMar

What about Mayflower?

Postby LauraMar » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:24 pm

I am moving antique furniture from my older parents' home (IL) to Portland OR. I'd prefer to go with Broadway, but I don't think my parents would be able to wrap / pack it all properly, and I am at a loss regarding gathering furniture-packers. I did not see Mayflower on the blacklist, and would certainly be able to just say no if they tried to subcontract, but has anyone had any experience with Mayflower, good bad or otherwise for the FULL SERVICE move with antique furniture? THANKS!

Diane

Re: What about Mayflower?

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi - do your parents really need PACKING (putting things in boxes) as opposed to wrapping furniture and LOADING? Some of the BE drivers know how to pack, but as for wrapping the antique furniture to prevent it from being damaged, all of their drivers routinely do that and it isn't a problem. They move many delicate, high-value items.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:43 pm

Moving is rated as one of the top 3 stresses in a persons life. Relocating the elderly is even harder. Will you be present at origin or is there another family member in IL? As Diane asked, an important factor is the level of antiques. Are you talking both furniture and, curio and dishware?
It is very important that what ever method you choose, the carrier is aware of the fact that they are moving the elderly and know how to handle the situation. It is also important that a family member is present at both ends of the move to handle the details and remove the stress of the move from your parents.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:38 pm

You have peaked my curiosity. You mention 2 totally different methods of moving. What is your reasoning behind these choices?

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 pm

I would venture to guess price Fred. The thinking being, whats the best way to move these expensive antiques the cheapest way possible.

Not saying BE cant handle it. But in most cases antiques need more then just pads to protect them.

In any case, who ever you chose or whatever you decide, I would have someone come out to do an appraisal of everything, if they are antiques. They will take pictures and put a whole book together for you on your articles. Of course this will cost money. But its probably in your best interest.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:42 pm

I just want to clarify that although BE can move delicate, high-value items, they have to be packaged properly first. I agree completely with the people who have implied that expensive antiques require careful handling. They may need to be not only packed (if china or curios) but also crated if glass is involved.

Also, people mean different things by the word "antiques." I have been surprised recently to see ordinary things that I have in my home and use regularly (avocado KitchenAid mixers and so on) featured in design magazines as "mid-century artifacts." Laura, if you have truly high-value items, I agree with Michael that you should have them appraised and carefully packaged by professionals before handing them over to ANY company.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:51 am

I have pondered how to respond to the above posts and have rewritten this a couple of times. Perhaps this type of move best shows where the moving industry has gone wrong. This move, depending on age, physical and mental abilities, the parents could be the most fragile items to be moved. In some cases, they could be leaving the house where they have raised their families. How many Christmas and Thanksgivings have been held there? That old torn chair that should be tossed, could be where the mother nursed her first child. Memories are more important to the elderly and this move can be full of them. They are entrusting their memories to strangers, the people doing it must be worthy of that trust.
Perhaps, as an industry, we have forgotten that we move families not just furniture and that should be more of a corporate vision that an advertising slogan.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:09 am

Thank you, Fred, for one of the most gracious and humane comments that I've ever seen on a message board.

LauraMar

Postby LauraMar » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:14 pm

I am amazed at the insightful and thorough insights here--so many in just a day! What a great message board. A note of clarification, it is just furniture that is moving, not my actual parents. They want to send some of their parents' things to me in Portland (I just bought a 100 year old house!). And indeed, they are antique-antiques. Mostly furniture, but some of the wood has glass as well, and there are a couple of ceramic things too. I am unable to be there to help them secure the items for transport (I guess "pack" was the wrong word), and felt torn between a) a comprehensive move to get the items secured professionally and then possibly held hostage or b) feeling secure in the actual traveling, but then the items might be damaged. I am still leaning towards Broadway, but was hoping to obtain some level of expertise in the actual wrapping / securing of the items for travel. I am so grateful for your assistance in this!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:17 pm

Given the situation at origin, I do speculate you are best served by a full service mover. With BE, you have to supervise the whole crew and I don't think they have any liability for damaged cargo. That being said, if this is not time sensitive, I would suggest you delay the move until after Labor Day.

It is peak moving season at the moment, and our industry is overwhelmed with demand. You will get better service and better pricing if you can wait.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:19 pm

What city are they in, in Illinois? I've heard great things about Burrows Moving in Chicago. There are plenty of good full-service movers that won't hold your parents' things hostage. I also agree with Nancy that you should wait until the crazy season is over if possible.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:27 pm

I'd suggest you contact the movers trade association for Illinois for help:

http://www.imawa.com/

LauraMar

Postby LauraMar » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:30 am

I did above: Contacted Illinois Trade Movers, and they referred me to the following: http://www.llsol.com/betsy/ Betsy's Trans-Pack, a moving broker, who said she would arrange for the move to be done by North American, who may subcontract to Atlas. She answered a lot of my questions. She says she has never had a bad move. But MovingScam says DON'T use a broker! Please advise!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:57 am

Eek! Betsy's Trans-Pack again! At least I hope she has her broker's license now! Laura, please read this thread from last year - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2900 I'm not going to stick my neck out again on this one.

LauraMar

Postby LauraMar » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:01 pm

Well, it says she has a license # 504385 MC. What is the licensing agency's website at which I look this up?

And my recent e-mailed request for a quote to Mayflower was denied, due to the fact that they are super-busy now, and maybe could I find a better time.

Here's more on the background of the situation: My parents have sold their business, attached to which was a small house where much of this furniture has been stored. They are feeling a sense of urgency about moving out, but I suspect it COULD be delayed. I have asked them to find out more about delaying the sale / move until after Labor Day. It remains to be seen whether I can delay this move. I would sure like to. Gosh this is complicated, all this not-getting-your-stuff-stolen. There oughtta be a law!!!

Thank you, Diane, for your help thusfar. I read that thread, and it sounded like the person decided NOT to use Betsy, and there did not seem to be an ANSWER to the question about why one would use a broker rather than arrange one's own move.

Return to “Open Community”